Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show TV Milestones Of The Week  (Read 2975 times)

AH3RD

Game Show TV Milestones Of The Week
« on: June 29, 2003, 09:01:03 AM »
JULY 4, 1988

America celebrated Her 212th birthday.

Also, CBS dusted off the old Goodson-Todman favourite, Family Feud, and returned it to the air with a vengeance--and with a new set and a new host, Ray Combs. On this first new episode of Family Feud in 3 years, Combs wished America a \"Happy Birthday!,\" and added that \"I'm real excited about bein' on CBS and hostin' this show. Uh, I have been studying all of the great CBS shows, I think I'm prepared, so, if you're ready, let's have the first item up for bids!\" In this first game, The Drozdowski Family (Norm, Beth, Jennifer, Frank and Tom) took on The Holtrust Family (Steve, Pam [she is such a babe!], Ed, Julie and Mark) The first question on this new Feud was \"Who is the most macho man in movies today?\", for which the most popular answer was \"Sylvester Stallone\" (Frank Drozdowski got it). The Holtrusts won this first game with $444, and capped an extra $5000 in the Fast Money round.

Not a bad day's work on the first show!

A new syndicated primetime edition was premiered an immediate 2 months after the CBS Daytime debut. In its 5-year sojourn on CBS, Family Feud would be expanded to 60 minutes with the addition of The Bullseye Round to it and renamed The Family Feud Challenge on June 29, 1992 (The Bullseye Round was added to the syndie version that fall, when it was renamed The New Family Feud), then it went into reruns on March 29, 1993 and was canned on September 10, 1993 when it was decided that CBS give back the hour to their local affiliates. The syndie edition kicked around for a year after that; after which, Combs was replaced by original Family Feud host Richard Dawson! (It was almost like the 10th season of the original Family Feud with Dick Dawson that never happened.)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2003, 09:01:51 AM by AH3RD »
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

Card Shark

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2003, 10:50:19 AM »
[quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Jun 29 2003, 08:01 AM\'] JULY 4, 1988

A new syndicated primetime edition was premiered an immediate 2 months after the CBS Daytime debut.  [/quote]

Normally the NATPE convention takes place several months in advance of the beginning of the next television season. Was the Feud sold in the original NATPE convention or did it end up as a late entry once the network version debuted?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2003, 10:50:57 AM by Card Shark »
Adam Strom

Argo

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2003, 12:18:52 PM »
[quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Jun 29 2003, 08:01 AM\'] JULY 4, 1988

America celebrated Her 212th birthday.

Also, CBS dusted off the old Goodson-Todman favourite, Family Feud, and returned it to the air with a vengeance--and with a new set and a new host, Ray Combs. On this first new episode of Family Feud in 3 years, Combs wished America a "Happy Birthday!," and added that "I'm real excited about bein' on CBS and hostin' this show. Uh, I have been studying all of the great CBS shows, I think I'm prepared, so, if you're ready, let's have the first item up for bids!" In this first game, The Drozdowski Family (Norm, Beth, Jennifer, Frank and Tom) took on The Holtrust Family (Steve, Pam [she is such a babe!], Ed, Julie and Mark) The first question on this new Feud was "Who is the most macho man in movies today?", for which the most popular answer was "Sylvester Stallone" (Frank Drozdowski got it). The Holtrusts won this first game with $444, and capped an extra $5000 in the Fast Money round.

Not a bad day's work on the first show!

A new syndicated primetime edition was premiered an immediate 2 months after the CBS Daytime debut. In its 5-year sojourn on CBS, Family Feud would be expanded to 60 minutes with the addition of The Bullseye Round to it and renamed The Family Feud Challenge on June 29, 1992 (The Bullseye Round was added to the syndie version that fall, when it was renamed The New Family Feud), then it went into reruns on March 29, 1993 and was canned on September 10, 1993 when it was decided that CBS give back the hour to their local affiliates. The syndie edition kicked around for a year after that; after which, Combs was replaced by original Family Feud host Richard Dawson! (It was almost like the 10th season of the original Family Feud with Dick Dawson that never happened.) [/quote]
 Anyone else thing that Bullseye/ Bankroll killed FF? I enjoyed watching the show before that, but never liked that part of the show. Having one family be able to go home with more than the other if they one fast money, and in 1994, $2500 wasnt a lot. FF was better with the set money amounts, like it started out as, and how it is now today ;). i guess something works hehe.

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2003, 01:12:28 PM »
Normally the NATPE convention takes place several months in advance of the beginning of the next television season. Was the Feud sold in the original NATPE convention or did it end up as a late entry once the network version debuted?

It was offered at the 1988 NATPE convention--with the announcement that CBS had purchased a daytime version (especially important, since they had to place an after-3 p.m. only embargo on the stations that carried the show. LBS probably would have preferred an after-5 or 6 p.m. embargo, but due to the much higher number of syndicated game shows out there already taking up access time slots (along with \"Entertainment Tonight\" and \"A Current Affair\"), the stations demanded some flexibility to air the shows in the late afternoon.

Initially, syndie \"Feud\" was on the NBC-owned stations (and premiered after the Olympics--they made special promos for the stations featuring Combs trying and failing as an Olympian) in access, replacing the disastrous \"Prime Time Starts at 7:30/6:30 on NBC [channel number]\" checkerboard strategy of airing first-run syndicated sitcoms in access.  Although \"Feud\" initially did OK going against \"Wheel\" or J!\", as time went on the NBC-owned stations dropped the show or moved it out of access.  Combs' syndie last year ended up airing in late-night in Chicago on WGBO, the perennial Chicago ratings doormat at the time (it's now Chicago's Univision O&O).

ChuckNet

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2003, 12:57:44 PM »
Initially, syndie \"Feud\" was on the NBC-owned stations (and premiered after the Olympics--they made special promos for the stations featuring Combs trying and failing as an Olympian) in access, replacing the disastrous \"Prime Time Starts at 7:30/6:30 on NBC [channel number]\" checkerboard strategy of airing first-run syndicated sitcoms in access.

Although it wasn't a total failure...one of the shows in that block, Out of This World, managed a 4-season run on its own.

ObGameShow: OOTW cast members Donna Pescow, Maureen Flannigan(sp?), and Joe Alaskey all did game shows at one time or another.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")