Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Steve Harvey Best Answer Challenge  (Read 6815 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Steve Harvey Best Answer Challenge
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 11:26:35 AM »
Here's the hook: Focusing solely on the host, who I get is the one constant every time you watch, makes us lose sight of the fundamental game show truth that he/she is not the star.

Spot on. And as soon as someone tells Steve Harvey that, the show might become watchable again.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 11:41:58 AM »
In Steve's defense, how much of that is his fault? It's no secret the producers want viral moments, no matter how manufactured. But from the clips I've seen from LMAD and TPiR, I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't encouraged by The Powers That Be at Fremantle. Once you realize all three shows are loose enough to where these moments could easily happen organically, it kinda makes you wonder why go through so much extra work.

To answer the original question, the only moment I can think of involved two husbands at the faceoff podium. They were asked to name a phrase that could describe their wife or something, and neither wanted to hit the buzzer. When the cameras cut to them, they both shook their heads rapidly because they weren't trying to end up in the doghouse.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 11:52:44 AM »
In Steve's defense, how much of that is his fault?

Well, when I feel like I could say that about damn near ANY Steve Harvey show and it would be no less accurate, I kinda have to go with the common bond, there. Which aren't the producers, unless the producer is Harvey, and then, well, yeah.

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 01:01:18 PM »
In Steve's defense, how much of that is his fault?

Well, when I feel like I could say that about damn near ANY Steve Harvey show and it would be no less accurate, I kinda have to go with the common bond, there. Which aren't the producers, unless the producer is Harvey, and then, well, yeah.
Point taken.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

bulldog_06

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 01:48:30 AM »
Steve has major input being the star of Family Feud, right? (Even though his name is in the credits like Wayne Brady, who is Co-EP of LMAD)

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 06:47:26 AM »
Time to face facts.
You can "face the facts" all you want. I find the show borders on unwatchable for the most part and therefore pass it by.

Until next time, I'll be in my balcony.
Like Steve or hate Steve, this thread was supposed to be about contestant responses. I'm all for debate on this topic, but posting it in a thread that was asking for a completely opposite response seems kinda unnecessary.

Something a doctor pulls out of a person...a gerbil.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 12:13:19 PM »
Time to face facts.
You can "face the facts" all you want. I find the show borders on unwatchable for the most part and therefore pass it by.

Until next time, I'll be in my balcony.
Like Steve or hate Steve, this thread was supposed to be about contestant responses. I'm all for debate on this topic, but posting it in a thread that was asking for a completely opposite response seems kinda unnecessary.
Who said anything about hating Steve?  Furthermore, threads go on tangents around here.  When someone decides to ramble and dictate what can be discussed, it typically doesn't end well.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 12:18:24 PM »

When you start a post with a aggressive statement like "Time to face facts," you are inviting comment.

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 10:25:00 PM »
I knew whether I said what I said at the beginning or not I was going to see some comments, so I just said screw it. However, I'm still glad I did, because I liked (mostly) the replies to said tangent. There's nothing wrong with Harvey not being your personal taste if that's really the only problem. Hey, the rest of my family who's endured a lifetime of my watching shows is the total opposite: they love Harvey and can't stand Dawson the womanizer. It is what it is, we all love Feud, and we all rank differently, this room is skewed is all. I'm cool with that.

To tie it all together, here's another answer to add to the pile. Buzzr tonight reran the Dawson woman who kept repeating appliances and tires that were already on the board to the question "a product designed to wear out in a specific of time." We see that on the clip shows all the time. Well, Harvey's equivalent of that woman was the lady who was on recently who was asked for another word people use for their mother. She kept repeating Mommy (already on the board) and Nana (already got a strike), but kept changing the inflection thinking that counted as something different. Steve's response to the insanity, I accept completely. I would have been hard pressed to not do something in reply either to avoid going crazy. And no matter what, the darn woman just didn't get it.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2019, 02:43:47 PM »

When you start a post with a aggressive statement like "Time to face facts," you are inviting comment.

Co-sign. And when "I've ticked off some purists" = one post by Travis, and maybe Chris' response, it feels like an OP who's spoiling for a fight just as much as (more than...?) wanting responses to the question.

And to that original post, I think a lot of the contention with Harvey Feud comes from the fact they're trying so hard to serve up this stuff on a silver platter. The answer "naked grandma" was in response to the question "Name something a burglar would not want to see when he breaks into a house." Perfect! From what I remember of Steve's first year, there was a lot of that fun to go around.

I personally find it funnier when a goofy Hail Mary answer comes at a question that wasn't expecting it, instead of the other way around. The answers aren't "unintentionally honest" when they're the hoped-for punchlines. You'll notice a lot of Match Game's appearances on the clip shows aren't from the questions where "boobs" or "tinkle" was the definitive answer. Some, yes, but far from a majority.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2019, 03:05:37 AM »
And to that original post, I think a lot of the contention with Harvey Feud comes from the fact they're trying so hard to serve up this stuff on a silver platter. The answer "naked grandma" was in response to the question "Name something a burglar would not want to see when he breaks into a house." Perfect! From what I remember of Steve's first year, there was a lot of that fun to go around.

I personally find it funnier when a goofy Hail Mary answer comes at a question that wasn't expecting it, instead of the other way around. The answers aren't "unintentionally honest" when they're the hoped-for punchlines. You'll notice a lot of Match Game's appearances on the clip shows aren't from the questions where "boobs" or "tinkle" was the definitive answer. Some, yes, but far from a majority.
Yes, HERE was my point behind this whole challenge. We've been saying a lot about how the questions are extremely skewed to the predictable sexual humor, and none of that makes it on the clip shows save for one Match Game 74 clip. I'm on the record as not being a fan of it, either, and Steve doesn't need that kind of Q&A to kill it. Give me the ones we've mentioned here so far, "Naked Grandma", "Gerbil" (I was trying to remember that one), "Pot-ato", "She's dead" (I got a good laugh on that one), "Pork-upine" and so on. THESE are what I want here, they DO exist, and they're the ones we can look back on and honestly laugh at and enjoy, no matter who's at the podium.

And to that end, I'll add one more that came to me.
Family Fortunes had: "Any part of the body beginning with the letter N" -> "Knee"
Steve had: "A man's name beginning with the letter H" -> "Jose"
Brian Sapinski

rebelwrest

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2019, 07:25:33 PM »
I'll add a couple of answers that have kept me chuckling.

First of all the crap we give Harvey Feud, how about an answer that's crap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpTTDV73X5s

And I think what makes the next clip so funny is not just the answer is bad, but how she just keeps digging herself in deeper trying to defend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGwb5FK7zAg
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2019, 09:03:40 PM »
Here's the hook: Focusing solely on the host, who I get is the one constant every time you watch, makes us lose sight of the fundamental game show truth that he/she is not the star. The game and the contestants are.

Going to have to fundamentally disagree with you here.

When Steve Harvey's other operations were focused in the Atlanta area, Family Feud moved to Atlanta.  When Harvey's other operations moved to LA, Feud taped in LA again.

Let that soak in for a second.  The production of the highest rated show in daytime syndication moved, twice, because of the host's other gigs.  If that doesn't tell you who the star is, I don't know what to say.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

WhammyPower

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 08:54:59 PM »
I was reminded of this one watching some compilations:

"Name a place no one wants to admit they are headed."

"Mississippi."

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 12:31:12 AM »
The black zombies, yes! Another ridiculous one I forgot.

Mississippi I'd match up with the old Dawson question asking what foreign country you'd like to go to. "Pakistan"

And the other day, I hit upon this gem:
Fill in the blank: I will never ______ again.
"Cheat!"
Brian Sapinski