Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rules Changes to Make a Show Easier  (Read 7520 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Rules Changes to Make a Show Easier
« on: December 17, 2018, 05:44:20 PM »
Over the years, we’ve seen shows make it harder for contestants to win the big money, but can you think of any instances where they made it easier? I can specifically name two- removing opposites as illegal clues on Password, and the five second increase in Fast Money (but I think that was partly due to asking longer questions). Can you guys think of any others?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

nowhammies10

Re: Rules Changes to Make a Show Easier
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 05:50:31 PM »
Push rule in the Money Cards.  Also changing one card anywhere on a line from CS '86.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 07:36:26 PM »
Spotting players the RSTLNE and giving them four more. Even with the 5-second reduction, that's a big advantage.

I think I've heard others here say requiring Jeopardy players to wait until the whole clue has been read resulted in more accuracy.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 08:10:28 PM »
TPiR: Adding a second chance on Hole in One to make it Hole in One (or Two).
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 09:10:00 PM »
I think TPIR could potentially have numerous changes it made to help contestants along the way (perhaps more in the way of range adjustments for inflation). Another change I thought of was changing the format of Gas Money from having to play "1 Chance Five Price Tags" to "1 Prize Danger Price."
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

jage

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 10:31:50 PM »
It didn't always apply, but Classic Concentration added 5 bonus car seconds as a prize.

beatlefreak84

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 10:39:08 PM »
The immediate first example I thought of was the original TJW with the Joker's Jackpot.  Originally, you had to win 5 games in a row to claim the Jackpot, but it was later shortened to 3.

Another:  On syndicated $ale, reducing the lot win from $830 to $750.

And still another:  GSN's Chain Reaction (Season 1) making the target numbers of correct answers to double and triple your team's winnings from 7 and 10 to 5 and 7, respectively.

One more for four (that rhymes!):  On Million Dollar Password, if a player made it to the $250,000 level, he/she could go for the million with no risk in Season 2, while he/she had to risk that money (well, all but $25,000) to do so in Season 1.

Anthony

P.S.  Thanks for the brief distraction from grading final papers!  :)
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 10:57:32 PM »
Forgot one...Scrabble dropping the spelling rule. :P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Neumms

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 11:37:00 PM »
While the change to "Gas Money" has no affect whatsoever, TPIR made "3 Strikes" easier when they started putting only one strike chip in the bag at a time. (It still should be that way.)

In "Let 'Em Roll," they give you a free roll--at first, didn't one have to earn all three? They also built a taller platform for the player, making it easier to spill the dice down the ramp.

Password's Lightning Round became easier when with "Alphabetics" they started giving the initials.

The Jack Narz Concentration included games where players called three boxes in a turn.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 12:58:16 AM »
In "Let 'Em Roll," they give you a free roll--at first, didn't one have to earn all three?

No, that's been there since the beginning. You might be thinking of Pass the Buck, which originally had 3 sets of grocery items and no free pick, plus 8 numbers on the board to boot (instead of the now-current 6).

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 02:18:47 AM »
While the change to "Gas Money" has no affect whatsoever
I'd disagree if only because once you picked a price in Gas Money that you thought was the price of the car, under the original rules, you were stuck with that choice. The current rules allow you to change your mind while playing the game if the audience or something else sways you a different way.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

splinkynip

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 08:17:22 AM »
Some others that made it easierto win:

Dream House... originally seven wins to automatically win house, soon changed to five (then later to six).

Original Battlestars... bonus game at first picked three numbers to reveal of famous face. Later you got to choose an additional number of your choice to reveal.

Tic Tac Dough... Bonus Category and Double or Nothing made it easier to win the game.

Celebrity Bullseye... eventually question amount max went from $400 to $500.

Wheel of Fortune... $1,000 added to Par’s final spin.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 09:29:32 AM »
$ale: adding the $10 and $15 money cards to the Fame Game.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Mike Tennant

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 12:55:33 PM »
MG/HS: Allowing a player to win HS on an opponent's error (not a change during the run of the show but certainly a change over the Marshall version).

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 03:14:34 PM »
General observation: any rule change that applies to both players equally might make the game faster / higher scoring / etc., but does not make it easier to win.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe