Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Favorite Wheel of Fortune Puzzleboard Border?  (Read 6292 times)

aaron sica

Re: Favorite Wheel of Fortune Puzzleboard Border?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 09:06:45 AM »
Additionally, #6 was my least favorite. I always felt like it was "staring" at me.

nowhammies10

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 04:47:12 PM »
I do think it's ironic that the On-the-Road puzzleboard was much larger than the At-Home puzzleboard.

ISTR the reason given for this change was because they played to a much larger crowd on the road than in Burbank/Culver City, and as such the audience would have an easier time seeing a larger board.

ObTopic: #5, #2, #1, #3, #6, in that order.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 08:07:09 PM »
ISTR the reason given for this change was because they played to a much larger crowd on the road than in Burbank/Culver City, and as such the audience would have an easier time seeing a larger board.

Logical. I was figuring that any set pieces you have to schlep should tend to be smaller, not bigger.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 10:05:22 PM »
But the letters were the same size, so how would a larger puzzle border help the live audience? It's not as though the in-studio board was so small that it'd be difficult to even locate on the stage.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 10:59:01 PM »
But the letters were the same size, so how would a larger puzzle border help the live audience? It's not as though the in-studio board was so small that it'd be difficult to even locate on the stage.
Exactly, and this is why they always seemed to have the projection screens out in the audience. Even if the board was bigger, they still need to see where the wheel is approaching/landing so that they can properly react.

The most logical reason, at least to me, would be that the larger border takes up more space, which you need to fill on a larger stage on the road. Also, they paid for it and clearly know how to transport it cross country- why not continue using it and drive down your cost per use?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Unrealtor

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2018, 11:34:47 AM »
I have a theory that it's about what's on camera rather than what's on stage. The extra "shoulder" means that the board takes up the entire screen on the widest possible shot, so there's no need to worry about what might be visible in the wings or trying to hang some kind of decoration behind it. That kind of thing is less of a concern when you've got the 180-degree cyc at NBC Burbank/Television City.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 02:02:30 PM »
I like the border of the road show design, but not the inside.

One of the things I liked about the second design, and some others, were the “partial” trio ones that weren’t actually useable.  It gave me the impression that I was looking into a window.  Without that, the image looks more... two-dimensional.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2018, 08:38:23 PM »
I grew up with 2 and 3, and I played the game with 7.

I’ll go with seven. Million Colors of Light (tm) simplified.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 01:17:45 AM »
s/o to the one not on the list: The last 15 taped shows of the season, three road weeks taped in San Diego, use the old version of the puzzleboard (or at least it's 2002 revision*), but all of the various gold pieces except for the two bottom corners and section directly under the letters have been removed. 

====

(*at some point in late 2002, I wanna say December-ish, they replaced the original golden border around the letter window with this golden-marble look.  I wanna say the numbers on the wheel got skinnier and the wheel got a little looser around the same time.)

Fedya

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 05:28:54 PM »
Ah yes, the abuse of the Event category for things that are not events.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Kevin Prather

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2018, 01:48:15 AM »
Ah yes, the abuse of the Event category for things that are not events.

Before "What Are You Doing?" entered the arsenal.

The one that threw me the most was in the mid 90s. The bonus round puzzle "FEBRUARY" was considered a THING.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2018, 05:56:12 PM »
s/o to the one not on the list: The last 15 taped shows of the season, three road weeks taped in San Diego, use the old version of the puzzleboard (or at least it's 2002 revision*)

Was the 2002 revision when they changed the touchscreens from CRTs to flat screen TVs? If so, I feel old.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

nowhammies10

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2018, 09:20:45 PM »
s/o to the one not on the list: The last 15 taped shows of the season, three road weeks taped in San Diego, use the old version of the puzzleboard (or at least it's 2002 revision*)

Was the 2002 revision when they changed the touchscreens from CRTs to flat screen TVs? If so, I feel old.

The screengrab above looks like the CRTs are still there.  I think the flat-screen upgrade was around the time they upgraded to HD, somewhere around 2006.