Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Was it common for hosts to plug other shows on the netowrk?  (Read 3654 times)

danderson

Was it common for hosts to plug other shows on the netowrk?
« on: November 27, 2018, 11:31:21 AM »
I've seen a few do it, but i don't believe it was common practice to plug other network shows.

Jimmy Owen

Re: Was it common for hosts to plug other shows on the netowrk?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 11:39:32 AM »
Jim Peck plugged Nick Clooney and the Money Maze on The Big Showdown and Nick returned the favor, but both were partially Don Lipp shows.  Of course, on CBS whatever show was on next was plugged by the announcer regardless of packager.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BillCullen1

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 11:55:38 AM »
Gene Rayburn plugged Musical Chairs and Pass The Buck on MG. In the final weeks of ABC Password, Ludden plugged Showoffs. The final weeks of Rafferty's Blockbusters had him saying Concentration was coming back.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 12:04:53 PM »
Jack Barry plugged Spin-Off on the final episode of CBS Joker.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 01:06:03 PM »
When Dick Clark was on ABC hosting "$20,000 Pyramid" and "American Bandstand", he would plug Pyramid on Bandstand, and vice versa. On the Friday Pyramid, "See you tomorrow on the Bandstand", and at the close of AB, "See you next Saturday on American Bandstand and all next week on 'The $20,000 Pyramid'".

Casey

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 03:02:14 PM »
It seemed to happen on TattleTales whenever there was a game show host as a celebrity guest.  I saw some episodes recently with Monty Hall, and Let’s Make a Deal was mentioned as “being on another network that is the first three letters of the alphabet”.

Conversely, I saw TattleTales ask a question in the style of a Let’s Make a Deal deal of the celebrities and Monty Hall wasn’t on that week.

(Edited to fix an autocorrect issue)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 05:47:09 PM by isucgv »

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 04:27:41 PM »
Seems like it was more common if it was a new show, for example Goodson-Todman hosts appearing on TPiR to promote their new (CBS) show.

I dunno if it was NBC or Don Reid's idea, but Dream House had a couple of crossovers, with Kevin O'Connell making a cameo to plug Go, and then Pat and Vanna doing a celebrity episode.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 06:44:57 PM »
Sounds like a lot of these could have been memos from the network's promotions department to have the hosts encourage viewers to keep their eyeballs on their particular network. Now what was fun was back in the 50s when sponsors owned the shows and they would have plugs for other shows they sponsored, such as NBC's nighttime Dotto asking viewers to "watch Colgate's "The Millionaire" on another network. Check your local listings." 

Mike Tennant

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 07:37:09 PM »
I dunno if it was NBC or Don Reid's idea, but Dream House had a couple of crossovers, with Kevin O'Connell making a cameo to plug Go, and then Pat and Vanna doing a celebrity episode.
There's also a photo in the second EoTVGS of Monty Hall appearing on the original Dream House "to promote the upcoming debut of 'Let's Make a Deal' on the ABC network in December 1968."

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 12:00:29 AM »
There's also a photo in the second EoTVGS of Monty Hall appearing on the original Dream House "to promote the upcoming debut of 'Let's Make a Deal' on the ABC network in December 1968."
Monty made the rounds on ABC during the final week before the jump. He appeared at the end of "The Newlywed Game" to make a deal with the couple that finished in second place, and they traded their way up to a new TV. The same day, he was on "The Dating Game" to give a couple a choice of envelopes for spending money for their date.

Winkfan

Re: Was it common for hosts to plug other shows on the network?
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 01:46:14 AM »
Of course, on CBS whatever show was on next was plugged by the announcer regardless of packager.

NBC did the same thing until about the mid-1970s.

Then there were the voice-overs during the early TV days. Yes, nothing like having the enjoyment of hearing What's My Line's closing theme destroyed by George DeWitt demanding we watch Name That Tune "tomorrow night over most of these CBS stations."

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Otm Shank

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 02:20:55 AM »
I have a recollection of someone, perhaps Dick Clark, making fun during an introduction. The celebrity stopped short and asked if they could mention the network. ISTR Clark saying tongue-in-cheek (but probably with some level of truth to it) they allow it when their ratings are good.

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 09:01:28 AM »
I have a recollection of someone, perhaps Dick Clark, making fun during an introduction. The celebrity stopped short and asked if they could mention the network. ISTR Clark saying tongue-in-cheek (but probably with some level of truth to it) they allow it when their ratings are good.
Richard Dawson did something similar when he plugged Feud in Match Game. When Gene said he couldn’t mention the network Richard said “That’s okay. What are the first three letters of the alphabet?”

GENE: ABC.

RICHARD: That’s the network it airs on.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

That Don Guy

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 07:03:58 PM »
I don't know if this really counts as a "plug", but there was a time (I want to say 1974 or so) when some of the ABC shows would mention what show was on next (e.g. on Password, Allen Ludden would tell the viewers to stay tuned for Split Second). I don't think they all did it, especially as, IIRC, LMAD was on at wildly different times in different parts of the country - in fact, I remember Monty Hall plugging a time slot change for the show, "but we'll still be on at 1:30 on the west coast."

I also remember Jim McKrell mentioning on an episode of Celebrity Sweepstakes that Wheel of Fortune was premiering that day, even though it had already been on the air for at least a week.