Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Musical bridges in GS themes  (Read 5878 times)

Clay Zambo

Re: Musical bridges in GS themes
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 08:27:24 AM »
The bridge in the TPIR theme was used to great effect behind the ticket plug for many years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Mov4DtXGI&t=15s

Fun to see a bunch of those back-to-back, and to hear that alternate orchestration of the bridge. I wonder why/when they switched to the other tune, whose cue-name I can never remember.

More, though, I'm amazed to hear Johnny's readings of that ticket copy, with the odd emphasis on "see," which seemed to get hit even harder as time went on. Wouldn't it have made more sense to emphasize "IN PERSON"? Arguably you're going to SEE a better show on TV--but you're only going to get called as a contestant if you are THERE.
czambo@mac.com

nowhammies10

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 08:56:53 PM »
Fun to see a bunch of those back-to-back, and to hear that alternate orchestration of the bridge. I wonder why/when they switched to the other tune, whose cue-name I can never remember.

It's Cue 54 on the 1974 reel, appropriately titled "Ticket Plug".

SuperMatch93

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2018, 12:13:56 PM »
More, though, I'm amazed to hear Johnny's readings of that ticket copy, with the odd emphasis on "see," which seemed to get hit even harder as time went on. Wouldn't it have made more sense to emphasize "IN PERSON"? Arguably you're going to SEE a better show on TV--but you're only going to get called as a contestant if you are THERE.

My only guess is that he wanted to emphasize "seeing" the show in studio as opposed to "watching" it at home. But it's definitely odd to my ears too.

Can one still request tickets through that address, or does everyone have to go through OCA now?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

nowhammies10

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2018, 10:11:34 AM »
Can one still request tickets through that address, or does everyone have to go through OCA now?

Tickets are solely handled through OCA now.

TimK2003

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 12:54:41 PM »
Many shows through the TPIR years had separate plugs for getting tickets and being contestants.  Some shows also would specifically mention that all contestants are selected from the audience.

Johnny O likely stressed the SEE word to hint that you have to be in the audience in order to be a contestant.

Rod Roddy also emphasized SEE PYL in the ticket plugs as there was a separate plug for contestant tryouts.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2018, 09:09:38 AM »
Johnny O likely stressed the SEE word to hint that you have to be in the audience in order to be a contestant.

I don't SEE your point. If you are IN PERSON you have passed by the contestant screeners and are eligible to be a contestant. ;)
czambo@mac.com

chrisholland03

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 09:17:25 AM »
It's like watching a game show where the contestants argue the finer points of grammar.  There are no prizes, there are no winners, and everyone goes home with a headache.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 01:19:43 PM by chrisholland03 »

GameShowGuru

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2018, 06:17:19 PM »
I've always loved the bridge portion to "Blockbusters" when the horns and saxes just go all out.  I always hated to see the fee plugs end in the middle of the bridge and have the music start back to the beginning - although I did see one episode when the bridge was actually completed before the fee plug ended, but that was because the music began during the ticket plug at the end of the show and continued as Bill Cullen wished everyone goodbye.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2018, 01:01:57 AM »
It's like watching a game show where the contestants argue the finer points of grammar.  There are no prizes, there are no winners, and everyone goes home with a headache.

I'd watch that show. Well, at least once.
czambo@mac.com