Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who Wants To Be Smarter Than a Game Show "Expert" Quiz Writer?  (Read 1944 times)

Matt Ottinger

Who Wants To Be Smarter Than a Game Show "Expert" Quiz Writer?
« on: November 06, 2018, 09:58:06 AM »
Come for a fairly decent quiz in places, stay for at least half a dozen mistakes.  (Burbank?  Really?)

http://yourdailydish.com/game-show-expert-quiz/
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BillCullen1

Re: Who Wants To Be Smarter Than a Game Show "Expert" Quiz Writer?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 11:52:07 AM »
I got 34 of 40 right. I found out stuff I did not know. Fun quiz to take.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 01:27:17 PM »
I found out stuff I did not know.

I found out stuff the person who assembled the quiz didn't know.

(If you get 36 out of 40 correct, it'll tell you that "you got a perfect score.")

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 03:51:20 PM »
34 out of 40 for me, too.

Why is a picture of Press Your Luck Expert Edition (I think that's what it is) used for the first question? And even then it looks pixely, like someone screencapped a YouTube video at 240p resolution or somesuch.

The Ray Combs question has nothing even resembling the right answer - the "correct answer" only happened to him after his last Family Feud taping and dismissal.

Gotta love the questions where the picture gives away the answer. At least make me think a little!

It's a shame, though, since like Matt said this does have some good questions...but the factual errors and some bad picture choices drag it down for me.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:22:00 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 04:12:29 PM »
Like most of these "expert" quizzes, I stopped after the first 6 or 7, mainly for the issues Matt and Scott mentioned. Also because it's the same quiz we've seen 100 times.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 04:14:01 PM »
Why is a picture of Press Your Luck Expert Edition (I think that's what it is) used for the first question?
They didn't even bother with actual facts, so I can guarantee they're not looking for whether the screenshot they used was literally from Peter Tomarken's version or a video game. It resembled the show enough to get the point across.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 05:14:12 PM »
Why is a picture of Press Your Luck Expert Edition (I think that's what it is) used for the first question?

Looks more like BigJon's game to me.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 08:30:32 PM »
When I was ruled "incorrect" about the diameter question, I was inspired to see if that information was actually reported anywhere. If I was doing this professionally, I wouldn't rely on this article as my only source, but it makes me feel a little better that my "incorrect" response was probably correct:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1991-09-10-9103080481-story.html

I would like to see a game show present a question with a phrasing like "Where did the first airing of 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire' first air?"