Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BUZZR on Pluto TV?  (Read 25772 times)

snowpeck

Re: BUZZR on Pluto TV?
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2018, 08:36:59 PM »
Pluto's taken it off their service for hopefully the time being.
It still shows up on their lineup for me (though still not on Roku.)
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

chrisholland03

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2018, 09:00:40 PM »
Same here - I've been watching the CC marathon

BrandonFG

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2018, 09:45:43 PM »
That’s interesting. I just saw a BUZZR promo on Pluto either today or yesterday.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2018, 07:53:04 AM »
I was able to get BUZZR on the Pluto TV app for my Samsung TV when I tried last night.

JakeT

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2018, 08:26:54 PM »
So, can you get your Samsung TV to add apps that it doesn't have yet?  Mine doesn't have Pluto TV...*sob*

JakeT

aaron sica

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2018, 11:17:28 AM »
I was able to get BUZZR on the Pluto TV app for my Samsung TV when I tried last night.

Quoting myself to add that yesterday, while it still appeared on the app, i just got the blue spinning circle and it would not load.

cmjb13

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2018, 11:26:21 AM »

Quoting myself to add that yesterday, while it still appeared on the app, i just got the blue spinning circle and it would not load.

Not available on my Samsung. I believe my TV is from 2012-2013
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

aaron sica

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2018, 10:13:44 AM »
It has begun working on my Samsung again; Mine is a 2017. I noticed something interesting - Pluto tosses in their own commercials. Most of them play two or sometimes three times in a row. I'm not sure what I would rather have....Theirs, or the small set of ones Buzzr plays. :)

BrandonFG

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2018, 11:43:16 AM »
I noticed that on the MST3K channel as well. I’m guessing the commercial log is automated, because it cuts to break at random moments, or just before the title bumper. So instead of going to break after the rotating MST3K moon or marquee logo, they’ll cut to break, then show a snippet of the logo after the commercials.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

tvmitch

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2018, 07:04:35 PM »
It has begun working on my Samsung again; Mine is a 2017. I noticed something interesting - Pluto tosses in their own commercials. Most of them play two or sometimes three times in a row. I'm not sure what I would rather have....Theirs, or the small set of ones Buzzr plays. :)
Ah, so this is how Pluto makes its money. I hadn't watched it long enough to take notice of that, but it makes sense. It may be possible that the commercials are targeted to the specific viewer, also.

Dynamically inserting commercials this way may explain some of the delays in Buzzr being released at different times on different platforms. Samsung TVs might not have the technology to allow Pluto to insert commercials during the local breaks, which would affect the revenue model. This also means that Buzzr is sharing its rundown with Pluto.
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2018, 08:55:16 PM »
This also means that Buzzr is sharing its rundown with Pluto.

That's generally part and parcel with pretty much any carryage deal between a channel and programming provider.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chargeradiocom

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2018, 03:06:07 PM »
Ah, so this is how Pluto makes its money. I hadn't watched it long enough to take notice of that, but it makes sense. It may be possible that the commercials are targeted to the specific viewer, also.

Dynamically inserting commercials this way may explain some of the delays in Buzzr being released at different times on different platforms. Samsung TVs might not have the technology to allow Pluto to insert commercials during the local breaks, which would affect the revenue model. This also means that Buzzr is sharing its rundown with Pluto.
Pluto does use targeted advertising. I’ve noticed different spotloads running during breaks on the same Pluto channel on different devices. I also get localized ads sometimes for local car dealers, furniture stores, political candidates, etc.

I’m pretty sure they use an ad engine, similar to YouTube. (It may even be YT’s engine.) I believe they have a sales team, so some of the ads are probably sold directly, but I doubt they’re directly selling to every local furniture store & political candidate whose ads run.

Sometimes their ad engine is funky, though. Probably the most common viewer complaint on their Facebook page is about the same ads sometimes playing back-to-back-to-back. They’ve said they’re working on fixing it, though I haven’t seen a timeframe. (Personally it’s not that big a deal to me, but it seems to be to some people.)

Also, about a year ago, I was seeing a LOT of local ads for things several states away. This seemed to be especially an issue on Roku. And it wasn’t that they just had me in the wrong ZIP code—these were ads from all over the country. Being a media geek, I found it pretty interesting, though I doubt most of the advertisers who saw it were amused. It seems they’ve gotten this issue mostly fixed, although even now an out-of-market ad occasionally slips through.

About the Pluto ad breaks not exactly always being in sync with the show’s breaks, yeah, that’s always been a problem since I’ve been watching it. (I’m not sure how that’s working for the live channels like BUZZR, but it’s very noticeable on the Pluto-run channels.) I feel like it’s a small price for all you get with Pluto, but it is something I hope they fix going forward.

One other ad-related issue is the content at times. I have seen a few somewhat racy ads, even on the cartoon channels. It’s not as big a deal to me since I don’t have kids in the home, but I’d be squirming at times if my kids were watching an age-appropriate show and certain ads came on. Again, I hope they fix that issue going forward.

chargeradiocom

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2019, 03:57:29 PM »
Cord Cutters News is reporting that Pluto TV has now added BUZZR on Roku. One of CCN's commenters confirmed it, although I haven't been able to confirm it for myself (& won't be able to until this evening).

BrandonFG

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2019, 04:43:12 PM »
Yep...someone mentioned it on the Big Board as well, but I can confirm it’s on Roku, Ch. 514. Watched a little Supermarket Sweep last night. :)

chargeradiocom

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2019, 10:28:40 PM »
Yep...someone mentioned it on the Big Board as well, but I can confirm it’s on Roku, Ch. 514. Watched a little Supermarket Sweep last night. :)
Ok, cool. I had seen the Big Board thread a while back but hadn’t looked at it the last couple days. I generally follow the GSN/BUZZR board more closely, especially on topics like this.

In any case, I’m glad to see some folks here confirming it as well. :)