Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1970s "What's My Line?" question  (Read 2896 times)

gromit82

1970s "What's My Line?" question
« on: October 26, 2018, 12:28:12 AM »
I've recently started seeing the 1970s version of "What's My Line?" hosted by Larry Blyden, and I noticed that the panelists are never introduced. Their first names are displayed in front of them, but their full names are never mentioned.

Were the introductions edited out of the versions we see today on Buzzr, or did these episodes never have introductions of the panelists? Even if they didn't have the elaborate introductions associated with the John Daly version, I would have expected the announcer to mention the panelists' names.

Edited to add: Just as I posted this, I turned on another episode, and found one with a full set of introductions, where the announcer introduced Soupy Sales, who introduced Anita Gillette, who introduced Henry Morgan, who introduced Arlene Francis, who introduced Larry Blyden. So at least sometimes they did have full introductions.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Re: 1970s "What's My Line?" question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 04:37:31 AM »
Were the introductions edited out of the versions we see today on Buzzr

Yes - most have been edited out. Some have reported seeing an episode where the introductions were kept, because the first guest showed how he could use a recording device to capture the intro - so leaving those out would have made the demonstration seem less impressive (even though we all know, in 2018, how recording works). Simply search What's My Line on YouTube and you'll see how the episodes looked before the edits.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

gromit82

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 11:14:45 PM »
Were the introductions edited out of the versions we see today on Buzzr

Yes - most have been edited out. Some have reported seeing an episode where the introductions were kept, because the first guest showed how he could use a recording device to capture the intro - so leaving those out would have made the demonstration seem less impressive (even though we all know, in 2018, how recording works). Simply search What's My Line on YouTube and you'll see how the episodes looked before the edits.

Thanks -- the episode with the introductions being recorded is the one I saw between writing my original post and the edit to it. I'm surprised that Buzzr cut the introductions, since I'm used to them showing the John Daly version of WML? in a 40-minute time slot with not only the full episode but some of the original commercials.

BillCullen1

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 11:03:39 AM »
This week, Jim Backus is on WML as a panelist. Coincidentally, he was also on Tattletales. I'm enjoying seeing these shows now. It's like a nostalgia trip since a lot of the panelists and mystery guests have gone to the great beyond.