Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gender Equality for Game Show Contestants  (Read 4790 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Gender Equality for Game Show Contestants
« on: October 24, 2018, 09:58:46 PM »
Are there any game shows you can think of where the show consistently made an effort to keep a gender balance between contestants? Let's assume that dating/relationship shows and shows with a gender battle as their premise are already accounted for.

Press Your Luck always has a champion versus a man and a woman (hence why I came here with the topic originally)
Hollywood Squares always had a male and female contestant play one another.

What others can you think of?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

ivoryman1986

Re: Gender Equality for Game Show Contestants
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 10:15:26 PM »
I can think of The Joker's Wild(especially the first 3 seasons of that before they began using nametags). The Better Sex, Win, Lose or Draw and Body Language(prior to May 1985 anyway).

BillCullen1

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 10:39:17 PM »
Off the top of my head:

Break the Bank (70s and 80s), Name That Tune, Match Game PM, Gambit, The Newlywed Game, Chain Reaction (GSN version)

SuperMatch93

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 10:43:17 PM »
Sale of the Century generally had a man and woman as challengers, though I have seen a few eps with three men.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

That Don Guy

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 11:31:01 PM »

I'm pretty sure Jack Clark-era Cross-Wits always had a man against a woman - certainly on Wednesdays (two women celebs & male contestant vs two male celebs & female contestant) and Fridays (three men vs three women).

And if you're counting shows with couples competing against other couples:
  • Beat the Clock - the Monty Hall version was always two men and two women (it wasn't always "couples" as one episode had Charlie Brill & Bobby Van against Mitzi McCall & Elayne Joyce), and, except for the occasional "singles" episodes, the Gene Wood version had two man/woman couples on every show as well
  • Dream House (except for the few "single parents and their children" shows that occasionally had two males or two females on the same team)
  • The Moneymaze
  • and the later seasons of Garagiola-era Sale of the Century (IIRC, only the couples version was syndicated).
  • plus, if you count all-celebrity shows, TattleTales, All-Star Baffle (if you don't count the bonus round), and He Said, She Said

ivoryman1986

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 11:58:26 PM »
That Don Guy, you can add Shop Til You Drop to your list too. How about The Big Date? Don't forget about Fun House.

Allstar87

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 12:13:01 AM »
Just like Hollywood Squares, All-Star Blitz always had a male contestant at the left podium, and a female contestant at the right.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 01:00:33 AM »
Let's assume that dating/relationship shows and shows with a gender battle as their premise are already accounted for.
This was the second sentence of the prompt, and four of the first five posts were like “nah, I’ll include it anyway”.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 01:05:24 AM »
Card Sharks, not counting the Game Show Hosts tournament? Although I think I’ve seen at least one same gender match. I honestly can’t remember.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 02:08:12 AM »
Whew! kept up male/female dynamics for the most part...when Howard Wilson went on his long run, they probably realized what it did to their contestant pool, and started feeding him male challengers after a number of wins.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Kevin Prather

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 02:18:57 AM »
Hasn't the current iteration of $100,000 Pyramid been one male and one female pretty faithfully?

Casey

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 08:10:50 AM »
I don’t believe Face the Music ever had more than 2 of one gender for the initial three players.  I’m not sure if those 3 were picked based on the returning champion’s gender. 

Brian44

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 10:44:13 AM »
One thing is for sure: There is no gender balance on this forum. ;D

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 11:01:17 AM »
Card Sharks, not counting the Game Show Hosts tournament? Although I think I’ve seen at least one same gender match. I honestly can’t remember.

Think it was more frequent than that.  Seemed a lot more women than men were contestants.  Same thing with the Passwords (the NBC runs).  I don't think any of them tried to balance it--it was just how it all shook out.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TimK2003

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 12:55:11 PM »
This is a very good question.   Nearly every show I thought of  I've had to really think if it was consistently man/men vs. Woman/women.  I want to say both the original CBS Password was as well as the original $10K Pyramid, but I may be confusing the men versus women CELEBRITY pairings and not necessarily the contestants.

Slightly related...The Newlywed Game was very good in representing minorities in nearly episode.  Almost every Eubanks episode included one couple who was African-American.  Hispanics were well represented there as well on many of the episodes.