Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ten Years Ago on WOF...  (Read 2515 times)

brianhenke

Ten Years Ago on WOF...
« on: October 15, 2018, 10:58:09 PM »
  Ten years ago tonight on Wheel of Fortune, Michelle Lowenstein won $1 MILLION by solving LEAKY FAUCET in the Bonus Round.

Since then, we have only had two millionaires crowned on WOF, while we've had three $1M losses - twice last season, within several weeks. It raises the question: Are we ever going to see someone win $1M on WOF ever again?

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

BrandonFG

Re: Ten Years Ago on WOF...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 11:29:09 PM »
How often does someone win the 100K per season? Just a ballpark average, I don't need a full rundown or anything.

I know the path to winning the 100K is a lot easier, but I'm okay with that. Of all the things I think Wheel needs to spice things up, giving away a million dollars for playing Hangman is not very high on my list. Honestly, I forgot they even offer one million dollars, and that's also okay with me. The fact that they've had a few near-misses is interesting though.

To answer your question, the last win was, what five years ago? So I guess if you wanna go off that, it should be soon.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 12:49:30 AM »
How often does someone win the 100K per season? Just a ballpark average, I don't need a full rundown or anything.
On average, about twice per season.

the last [$1,000,000] win was, what five years ago?
A little more recent than that: the third winner was in September 2014, during the first week of Season 32. It always stuck out for me since that week's promo included the line "Imagine what it would be like for a teacher to win one million dollars."
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 07:34:46 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 12:55:58 AM »
Thank you. I misread Brian's post, and thought it was only two in 10 years. So, I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing if someone won it all, but I don't think the show is hurting because of it either.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

RyanCDN

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 09:16:45 AM »
I am not for or against the $1M aspect of the show.  I think it is fine, it certainly helps all those involved when someone takes the million dollar space off the wheel.  I don't think it is something I would want to see frequently.  As it has already been said, the path to win is tough, it should be a rare feat.   There is that moment of excitement when it is in play in the bonus round.  Quite frankly, I think the 100K is exciting enough.  I certainly do not watch the show, nor refrain from watching based on the million dollar aspect.  I think there are other areas that could use tweaking before the million dollar aspect.
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

Mark McNeil

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 09:41:57 PM »
As far as the Million Dollar space goes, the only thing I wonder is why they still don't add $500 to the player's score for each correct consonant when they land there like they do with the Car, Wild Card, Prize and $1,000 Gift Tag spaces.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 11:40:04 PM »
As far as the Million Dollar space goes, the only thing I wonder is why they still don't add $500 to the player's score for each correct consonant when they land there like they do with the Car, Wild Card, Prize and $1,000 Gift Tag spaces.

Talking completely ex-rectum, it might be to preserve the difficulty of winning it. If you hit it with no money, you still have no money and still have to spin or solve. Giving you the $500/letter gives you the chance to play it safer and vowel it up.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 10:23:29 PM »
For a show that manages to exist unperturbed by outside forces, the Million Dollar Wedge is another thing that were it to disappear I would not lose any sleep (such as the car tags, Wild Card and $500 minimum on the wheel.) Unfortunately it is really hard for a show to backtrack on the budget without calling attention to it. 
Travis L. Eberle