Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GS Hoste Who Finished Their Careers In Other Game Show Positions.  (Read 5093 times)

TimK2003

GS Hoste Who Finished Their Careers In Other Game Show Positions.
« on: September 15, 2018, 04:25:18 PM »
A friend of mine was doing a back-and-forth naming of former game-show hosts who ended their careers in other game-show-related positions and came up with a laundry list of people, mostly hosts becoming announcers. 

Some of which include:

Gene Wood -- Hosted Beat The Clock, and An6thing You Can Do, but finished as an announcer for G-T (was Combs Feud his last gig?)

Jack Clark -- Hosted Cross-Wits, finished as a rotating announcer on $xxx,000 Pyramid (?)

Jack Narz -- Hosted Dotto and Beat The Clock, finished as an announcer on All-Star Beat The Clock.

Others?

Bryce L.

Re: GS Hoste Who Finished Their Careers In Other Game Show Positions.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 04:40:26 PM »
Jack Clark -- Hosted Cross-Wits, finished as a rotating announcer on $xxx,000 Pyramid (?)
Actually, finished as full-time announcer on Wheel of Fortune, only left that when he became too ill to continue with the job.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 04:47:48 PM »
Johnny Gilbert.

Art James announced Feud and Classic Concentration in the early-90s.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Re: GS Hosts Who Finished Their Careers In Other Game Show Positions.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 05:09:17 PM »
Larry Toffler went from hosting Finders Keepers to appearing as a standard contestant on several game shows in the 1990s-2000s (most recently Catch 21).

Johnny Olson hosted some game shows on the radio (and a few early TV ones) before ending his career announcing The Price Is Right.

Gene Wood -- Hosted Beat The Clock, and An6thing You Can Do, but finished as an announcer for G-T (was Combs Feud his last gig?)
I think his last gig was doing some replacement Contestants Not Appearing On Stage plugs for Price in 1998.

Jack Narz -- Hosted Dotto and Beat The Clock, finished as an announcer on All-Star Beat The Clock.
Not sure if his coming out of retirement to host KDOC's You've Got To Be Kidding in 1987-88 would count, but there you go.

[EDIT 9/27/18: Fixed above station name (I'd originally written "KCOP").]
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 12:17:36 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 06:10:04 PM »
Bob Clayton went from announcer (Concentration) to host (Concentration) to announcer ($10,000 Pyramid, Shoot for the Stars, other Stewart stuff).
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

bulldog_06

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 10:46:49 PM »
A friend of mine was doing a back-and-forth naming of former game-show hosts who ended their careers in other game-show-related positions and came up with a laundry list of people, mostly hosts becoming announcers. 

Some of which include:

Others?

Could have sworn Gene Wood last true announcing gig was The Family Challenge w/ Ray Combs and Michael Burger.

BillCullen1

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 01:46:03 AM »
According to Wiki, Gene Wood's last job before retiring was doing voice over work for GSN.

Not sure if Bob Hilton started out as a host and ended up as an announcer. Gary Kroeger might also be in the same boat, so to speak.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 03:18:12 AM by BillCullen1 »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 09:55:20 AM »
Hopefully this person hasn't had his last hosting gig but for now, it works.  Frank Nicotero is the warm-up act for Millionaire.

SamJ93

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 01:26:03 PM »
Does Mark Goodson count? IIRC, he attempted a career as a radio announcer before moving into producing.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 02:11:20 PM »
How about Merv Griffin? He hosted Play Your Hunch, then went on to produce some other shows that ran for a couple years. In addition, Merv Griffin's Crosswords had just started production when he died.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

That Don Guy

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 11:57:12 PM »
Not sure if Bob Hilton started out as a host and ended up as an announcer. Gary Kroeger might also be in the same boat, so to speak.
Hilton hosted the weekly '70s syndicated New Truth or Consequences.

Winkfan

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 01:14:41 AM »
Steve Dunne hosted You're On Your Own (1956), Truth Or Consequences (1957...maybe?) and Double Exposure (1961); his last GS gig was announcer on What's This Song (1964-65).

Don Morrow hosted Camouflage and Let's Play Post Office before his GS career ended announcing The Challengers (1990-91).

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Jamey Greek

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 11:36:32 AM »
Larry Toffler went from hosting Finders Keepers to appearing as a standard contestant on several game shows in the 1990s-2000s (most recently Catch 21).

Johnny Olson hosted some game shows on the radio (and a few early TV ones) before ending his career announcing The Price Is Right.

I think his last gig was doing some replacement Contestants Not Appearing On Stage plugs for Price in 1998.

Not sure if his coming out of retirement to host KCOP's You've Got To Be Kidding in 1987-88 would count, but there you go.

Actually, you’ve got to be kidding was on KDOC TV

aaron sica

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 02:22:35 PM »
Bob Hilton's last hosting gig was LMAD '90, and we all know how that turned out.

"Last"? He only had 3.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 02:53:45 PM »
John Reed King hosted several network game shows in the early days of TV and in the 70s produced Anniversary Game.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.