Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 70s TTTT coming to Buzzr.  (Read 20888 times)

golden-road

70s TTTT coming to Buzzr.
« on: September 03, 2018, 12:28:43 PM »
In addition to Classic Concentration, per this promo, the 70s version of To Tell The Truth is getting a regular time slot on 10/1. https://youtu.be/lkq7-tUp0yI

BrandonFG

Re: 70s TTTT coming to Buzzr.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 01:26:25 PM »
I wonder how much of this also comes from the success of the Anthony Anderson version? In other words, Buzzr maybe sees this as a chance to get audiences familiar with the old-school version.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TraderRob

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 07:36:56 PM »
What's My Line in color is coming as well.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 07:55:52 PM »
Probably too much to ask, but there are entire seasons of both that never aired on GSN in full.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

jimlangefan

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 08:43:41 PM »
IIRC, hasn't it been 17 years since these versions have regularly aired on GSN?
TV's Big Dealer

BillCullen1

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 08:54:06 PM »
How appropriate that this announcement comes on Kitty Carlisle's birthday (9/3). I liked the newer set on Moore's TTTT better than that psychedelic set that looks dated today. If WML is coming back, I wonder if it will be with Bruner or Blyden.

jimlangefan

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 09:15:29 PM »
How appropriate that this announcement comes on Kitty Carlisle's birthday (9/3). I liked the newer set on Moore's TTTT better than that psychedelic set that looks dated today. If WML is coming back, I wonder if it will be with Bruner or Blyden.

It is coming to the schedule.   The promo for it started airing today.
TV's Big Dealer

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 10:59:08 PM »
I remember 70's TTTT being on in the afternoons when I was in high school, so that was about 12-13 years ago. So, still a long time more than likely.

Probably too much to ask, but there are entire seasons of both that never aired on GSN in full.
May I ask which ones? I remember watching plenty of both series ranging from the psychedelic set to Garagiola on TTTT and from Bennett Cerf appearances to the red/yellow set of WML?, but I was never great at identifying seasons in my youth. Only roundabout eras.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

arrowood20

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 11:17:07 PM »
For TTTT, I believe the first season is missing, and most of 1973 through Garry’s final year didn’t air much. With WML?, Bruner episodes weren’t aired on a regular basis from what I remember, and I don’t think GSN ever finished the final season before they dropped it.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 12:27:13 AM »
I believe so. IIRC, it aired from 3-4 pm with the Blyden WML?, and I remember catching it anytime I went to a department store to watch GSN via DirecTV or Dish.

/Showing my age here
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

thomas_meighan

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 01:06:10 AM »
After the G-T shows returned in April 1998, GSN cycled through almost all of the Blyden episodes (seasons 5-7), with occasional skips, until reaching the end of the syndicated series in May 2000. Then, for the remaining months the syndicated version was rerun, they aired Bruner episodes from 1970, although I couldn't tell you which side of S2 or S3 they fell on.

Prior to the loss of the G-T lease, I think they were airing Bruner episodes from 1969 on the weekends, but I couldn't swear to it. I don't know how much of the 1968-70 seasons were rerun, and I don't think GSN ever ran much of 1971-72 (the last with Bruner), based on the lack of episodes in collections and the sketchy episode guides. The ones with Roger Moore and Frank Zappa guest spots are from that season, I believe.

CarpetCrawler

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 03:00:28 PM »
For TTTT, I believe the first season is missing, and most of 1973 through Garry’s final year didn’t air much. With WML?, Bruner episodes weren’t aired on a regular basis from what I remember, and I don’t think GSN ever finished the final season before they dropped it.

Yeah, the entire first year of the Moore run isn't in GSN's archive and presumably gone.  When GSN ran the show on the schedule last, they got into the first few weeks of the blue set era before taking it off.  So yeah, episodes 1973-77 haven't aired much on GSN.  1976 is an especially rare year, I think all of about two or three episodes from that year ever aired in the past.
- CC Kirby

cyclone45

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 04:34:49 PM »
Has 50 's Beat the Clock ever been converted to color, or are they even able to do such a thing?

snowpeck

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 05:35:45 PM »
Has 50 's Beat the Clock ever been converted to color, or are they even able to do such a thing?
Why would they?
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 05:38:39 PM »
Ask Ted Turner how well colorizing B&W movies turned out...