Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic Concentration coming to BUZZR.  (Read 53335 times)

Allstar87

Re: Classic Concentration coming to BUZZR.
« Reply #120 on: November 13, 2018, 08:42:36 AM »
Pyramid had their share of awarding (or taking away) bonus prizes after a commercial break. I can't think of any Goodson shows that did the same thing, other than this one time on CC. I don't recall it happening on SP or P+.

I only saw it happen once on SP, on the 8/1/85 episode. Here's the clip in question...I don't think they made the right call on this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FPD49wpvLrw

JakeT

« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2018, 08:30:48 PM »
Pyramid had their share of awarding (or taking away) bonus prizes after a commercial break. I can't think of any Goodson shows that did the same thing, other than this one time on CC. I don't recall it happening on SP or P+.

I only saw it happen once on SP, on the 8/1/85 episode. Here's the clip in question...I don't think they made the right call on this one.

Not only was her answer well after the buzzer, the clue that gave her the answer was after the buzzer...it wasn't even close...

JakeT

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #122 on: November 15, 2018, 03:09:06 PM »
The problem with it is two-fold--not only does it set up an awful precedent, but unless the champion is able to hold her position and win Alphabetics again, Bert's Big Mouth (TM) basically costs whoever eventually wins the jackpot a pile of money.
Travis L. Eberle

JakeT

« Reply #123 on: November 15, 2018, 06:49:06 PM »
The problem with it is two-fold--not only does it set up an awful precedent, but unless the champion is able to hold her position and win Alphabetics again, Bert's Big Mouth (TM) basically costs whoever eventually wins the jackpot a pile of money.

There's that, too...it just looked incredibly sloppy and unprofessional and why S&P didn't step in, I will never know...

JakeT

rebelwrest

« Reply #124 on: November 15, 2018, 11:28:35 PM »

The only other reason I can think of for why they gave her the money but her answer CLEARLY came after the buzzer was some sort of technical error such as after giving the correct answer to another password, the computer did not immediately go to the next word.

The reason I point this out because of a moment from The New $25,000 Pyramid. The judges had to decide whether the contestant got the word "flannel" out before the buzzer to win the $10,000.  If you go back and look at the whole winner's circle, there was a noticeable gap between when the $50 box was turned and the $100 box being turned.  Normally, those two boxes would have been turned in synced. If the contestant gave their answer so close to the buzzer, there is a reasonable argument that if that gap did not exist, she would have given her answer before the buzzer.  This is why I think they were correct in giving the contestant on Pyramid $10,000.  Here is the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LAvUcPEwf8

So without seeing the rest of the bonus round, I cannot conclude whether they made the correct call to award her $20,000.

Thank you,

Matthew Tad Hudkins, CPA
Government Auditor
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

JakeT

« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2018, 11:53:49 PM »

The only other reason I can think of for why they gave her the money but her answer CLEARLY came after the buzzer was some sort of technical error such as after giving the correct answer to another password, the computer did not immediately go to the next word.

<snip>

So without seeing the rest of the bonus round, I cannot conclude whether they made the correct call to award her $20,000.

With all due respect, I call b.s. on this possible option since Bert's "decision" was allegedly based on the last few seconds alone...if there was more to it, it would have made more sense for the producers to have simply had Bert explain the real reason for the decision, award her the money and say "bye-bye"...but it didn't happen that way...your suggestion really only makes the matter that much murkier...

JakeT

rebelwrest

« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2018, 12:49:26 AM »

<snip>

With all due respect, I call b.s. on this possible option since Bert's "decision" was allegedly based on the last few seconds alone...if there was more to it, it would have made more sense for the producers to have simply had Bert explain the real reason for the decision, award her the money and say "bye-bye"...but it didn't happen that way...your suggestion really only makes the matter that much murkier...

JakeT

First of all, having the producers give Bert a complex explanation to say and have him do it without mucking it up sounds like a tall order.  Seconds, network standards and practices were taken dead seriously behind the scenes, and they may have had to discuss with S&P during the commercial break in which they both came to the correct conclusion.  Just because what was "performed" in front of the audience doesn't match the real reason why she won, it doesn't negate that she rightfully won the money.  For example on that episode of The New $25,000 Pyramid I posted, they may have had to listen to the tape many times until someone pointed out the gap between those two boxes.  On stage, they made people think she won $10,000 because she got her answer in on time, whereas backstage the real reason she won was because of a technical problem that if not happened, she would have given her answer on time. 

If many people wrote in to say hey, she didn't get her answer in time, then they would have taken the time in a future episode to give the full explanation although with cue cards to lessen the chance Bert couldn't muck it up.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2018, 09:47:49 PM »
I know this is about Stranger Things but this car was frequently given away on Classic Concentration!

https://jalopnik.com/barbs-1988-volkswagen-cabrio-from-stranger-things-is-fo-1830493434

SuperMatch93

« Reply #128 on: November 17, 2018, 09:59:25 AM »
I know this is about Stranger Things but this car was frequently given away on Classic Concentration!

https://jalopnik.com/barbs-1988-volkswagen-cabrio-from-stranger-things-is-fo-1830493434

Haven't seen the show myself--I don't have Netflix--but it seems that the show does quite a good job of presenting a 1980s aesthetic.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

vtown7

« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2018, 07:15:39 AM »
Need to trim a little on the budget? Have 4 or 5 of your cars' model names all begin with "S."

I realize I'm a little behind in watching the episodes but just this morning I saw an episode with *6* S-cars.  Brutal.

R.

SamJ93

« Reply #130 on: March 13, 2019, 01:29:59 PM »
Today's 1PM ep. of CC had something I don't recall happening too often--a contestant got buzzed and lost his turn for taking too long to choose a second number.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2019, 01:33:20 PM »
I do not recall that ever happening, and I was a fairly regular watcher when it was possible. How far along into the round was it?
Travis L. Eberle

tvmitch

« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2019, 01:48:41 PM »
I do not recall that ever happening, and I was a fairly regular watcher when it was possible. How far along into the round was it?
I am still working on catching up from some previous episodes, but in an episode that aired in early March, there definitely was a guy who got buzzed for dawdling. Alex make a comment that both contestants were "taking their time" with picking numbers.

The contestant had a very impressive mullet but I do not recall his name. I think he ended up winning a game or two.
You should follow me on Twitter

chrisholland03

« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2019, 02:33:30 PM »
Need to trim a little on the budget? Have 4 or 5 of your cars' model names all begin with "S."

I realize I'm a little behind in watching the episodes but just this morning I saw an episode with *6* S-cars.  Brutal.

R.

And the Sierra should have been 'Ciera'

tyshaun1

« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2019, 03:44:54 PM »
[

The puzzle was about halfway uncovered. But yeah, he took his old. sweet. time. He also ended up winning the game and won a car in about 45 seconds.

Tyshaun