Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic Concentration coming to BUZZR.  (Read 53379 times)

TraderRob

Re: Classic Concentration coming to BUZZR.
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2018, 05:02:06 PM »
I believe we are up to the point in the run where the Iran-Contra hearings were pre-empting daytime television with more significant regularity. The airdates in the Buzzr listings aren't matching up with some of the YouTube episodes previously uploaded and was wondering if anyone had any definitive knowledge of when NBC pre-empted the daytime lineup. For example, episode 49 (Sten vs. Hilary) which Buzzr's guide says aired July 10 shows as July 23 on TVLubber's upload.

gamed121683

« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2018, 08:11:50 AM »
I believe we are up to the point in the run where the Iran-Contra hearings were pre-empting daytime television with more significant regularity. The airdates in the Buzzr listings aren't matching up with some of the YouTube episodes previously uploaded and was wondering if anyone had any definitive knowledge of when NBC pre-empted the daytime lineup. For example, episode 49 (Sten vs. Hilary) which Buzzr's guide says aired July 10 shows as July 23 on TVLubber's upload.

Funny you mentioned this because I'm trying to start up a Classic Concentration episode guide myself so we can keep up with the air dates. Below is a measly list of what I got so far (Yeah, the dates are from YT Uploads so these might not be accurate). Listed is the air date and the 1st two contestants to play that day's game. Again, I know it's not much, but feel free to add on or make corrections.

5/4/87: (PREMIERE) Diana v. David
5/5/87: Russ v. Diana
5/7/87: Todd v. Cindy
5/8/87: Tammie v. David
5/11/87: Tammie v. Joel
6/12/87: Doug v. LaVerne

tvmitch

« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2018, 03:00:26 PM »
Just a general CC note about the contestant who was on for a few episodes over the Friday and Monday airings. I believe his name was Alex. Red hair and glasses. That dude got robbed out of a car because the computer was too slow. It was very obvious he said his numbers before the buzzer sounded, but the computer wasn't moving fast enough to open the doors before the clock hit double-0.

ISTR another instance of this happening earlier in the run where the contestant was given the car after commercial break. I thought they would do the same with this guy because it was very obvious he beat the buzzer.
You should follow me on Twitter

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2018, 07:40:36 PM »

From this article, it appears all three networks dumped daytime in full 7/7-10 as well as 7/13 and 7/14 for Oliver North's testimony, then the hearings were rotated among the three nets starting 7/15 with NBC.  8/3 was the last day of the hearings, per this.  EDIT:  And it appears CBS did the last day, starting at 11AM ET, per the Vanderbilt Archive.

So that does match everything up?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BillCullen1

« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2018, 06:49:50 PM »
We're back to the beginning as Buzzr aired shows 1 and 2 of CC today (10/9)

That Don Guy

« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2018, 12:46:54 AM »
We're back to the beginning as Buzzr aired shows 1 and 2 of CC today (10/9)
Blyden WML also aired the same episode that they did on 10/9, which seems strange as Concentration has had twice as many episodes air.

BillCullen1

« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2018, 01:04:34 AM »
Blyden WML also aired the same episode that they did on 10/9, which seems strange as Concentration has had twice as many episodes air.

No I don't think so. IIRC, the first WML Buzzr aired had Melba Tolliver in Arlene's seat and Peter Lind Hayes was the MG. Today's show had Arlene with Jack Cassidy, Anita Gillette and Bert Convy. Apparently Soupy Sales got the week off for good behavior.

That Don Guy

« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2018, 03:03:30 PM »

No I don't think so. IIRC, the first WML Buzzr aired had Melba Tolliver in Arlene's seat and Peter Lind Hayes was the MG. Today's show had Arlene with Jack Cassidy, Anita Gillette and Bert Convy. Apparently Soupy Sales got the week off for good behavior.
You're right - I had remembered seeing the one with Wally Bruner before, but that was from the shows Buzzr aired in the weekend before the weekday episodes began.

TraderRob

« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2018, 11:29:11 PM »

From this article, it appears all three networks dumped daytime in full 7/7-10 as well as 7/13 and 7/14 for Oliver North's testimony, then the hearings were rotated among the three nets starting 7/15 with NBC.  8/3 was the last day of the hearings, per this.  EDIT:  And it appears CBS did the last day, starting at 11AM ET, per the Vanderbilt Archive.

So that does match everything up?

This is great info! I'll see how that lines up. I know in most markets, CC aired at 10:30, so if they actually didn't start coverage until 11 like you mention with CBS, it's possible that CC aired most days.

Allstar87

« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2018, 10:59:08 AM »
5/5/87: Russ v. Diana

I can tell you this is May 6, not May 5. It was pre-empted on the 5th due to Joint Congressional Iran/Contra Committee Hearings. The voiceover promos during the credits of episode 2 also match up with the programming that aired on 5/6/87.

kesqchris

« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2018, 01:51:21 PM »
Just a general CC note about the contestant who was on for a few episodes over the Friday and Monday airings. I believe his name was Alex. Red hair and glasses. That dude got robbed out of a car because the computer was too slow. It was very obvious he said his numbers before the buzzer sounded, but the computer wasn't moving fast enough to open the doors before the clock hit double-0.

Yeah, that was ridiculous! He was a lawyer, and when they came back and Trebek referenced him being a lawyer I thought it would be a nice segue into them telling him he got the car. Instead it was in reference to his opponent. I couldn't believe they screwed him over so bad. Then the Wrangler disappeared after the next episode.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2018, 03:55:53 PM »
OTOH, they made the point several times to not call out numbers two at a time, which was what he did to try to beat the clock.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

chrisholland03

« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2018, 04:47:23 PM »
There's a linked thread somewhere that describes the operator console.  It mentions the buttons were laid out in a linear fashion (vs how they were displayed on the screen), which in my mind is why they wanted contestants to call one number at a time - the operator needed time to find and push the button to reveal, then clear.  G/T were pretty copious with their rules.  I would wager there was a rule or criteria they hung their 'close' bonus win/lose decisions on.

Flerbert419

« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2018, 05:36:20 PM »
I was always impressed at the accuracy and speed of the bonus number operator.

I can't imagine it being a particularly easy job.

tvmitch

« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2018, 07:26:58 AM »
There's a linked thread somewhere that describes the operator console.  It mentions the buttons were laid out in a linear fashion (vs how they were displayed on the screen), which in my mind is why they wanted contestants to call one number at a time - the operator needed time to find and push the button to reveal, then clear.  G/T were pretty copious with their rules.  I would wager there was a rule or criteria they hung their 'close' bonus win/lose decisions on.
I would imagine that there was a rule for this too...I'm sure it happened later in the run and perhaps Alex made an on-air explanation. ISTR another episode from earlier in these first 60 eps where the contestant did make his or her number calls for the last match before the clock went out, and was awarded the car. Anyway. Just an interesting discussion.

Pyramid had their share of awarding (or taking away) bonus prizes after a commercial break. I can't think of any Goodson shows that did the same thing, other than this one time on CC. I don't recall it happening on SP or P+.
You should follow me on Twitter