Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic Concentration coming to BUZZR.  (Read 53333 times)

golden-road

Re: Classic Concentration coming to BUZZR.
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2018, 05:05:24 PM »
IIRC I had read that later in the run, it was a 2-of-3 game to get the right to play for the car, which would mean the car game was played maybe once per episode...that's probably also when the show began to straddle? I remember seeing episodes where the 3rd tiebreaker game was just a "solve the puzzle as I reveal it." I could probably poke around YouTube and find evidence of this but can't at the moment.

I just think the interrupted game thing is a turd because you often see the same two people from the last show, but they've switched places, and oh by the way the lady in the challenger's seat has actually played 4 shows and won 2 cars already. I just think the 2-of-3 format made a lot more sense.

From what I recall, you'd be right. The first game was split with a commercial, the second was played in full and the tiebreaker was a buzz-in puzzle revealed a square at a time. I think they also changed the appearance limit to five days or car win whatever came first.

splinkynip

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2018, 05:49:32 PM »
Besides the first two months now airing, I would say I saw over 95% of the series when it was originally broadcast. How I still rember these details, I'll never know.

By late 1987 or early 1988, the rule was changed to "win a car and retire as champion". This stayed for the rest of the series.
Sometime in March of 1988, the two strikes rule came into effect.
In late July, they changed to two out of three games wins the match. The first game was divided into the first two segments. The first commercial I believe was after two turns have been taken but I think eventually was after the first match was found. The second game and the tie breaker was played in the third segment. Budget saver as occasionally no cars were won the entire week. Otherwise rarely more than 2 a week.
Late June, 1990, they changed the format back to two strikes and you're out. This stayed for the rest of the series. The difference this time was that all contestants had their own personal clock time starting at 35 seconds. Definitely another budget saver but they did add the 5 bonus car seconds to one of the games to help.

Hope that helps. Any other questions I'll see if I remember from was back then

I'm surprised they didn't change the format earlier than the first year as so many cars were given away, usually at least 2 a week.

Also from watching the series now I don't remember a contestant getting buzzed out for taking so long making a selection. This happened last week and almost again in the last few shows.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2018, 10:54:56 PM »
Just FYI, they've only converted through ep 61 (minus ep 13 which they skipped).  On November 9, we'll be back at ep 1.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Scrabbleship

« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2018, 11:11:47 PM »
Just FYI, they've only converted through ep 61 (minus ep 13 which they skipped).  On November 9, we'll be back at ep 1.

Unless more gets converted between now and then. If this pace continues it would take us right into the first Marjorie Goodson week.

TraderRob

« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2018, 03:46:06 AM »
Did NBC pre-empt on May 18? Buzzr's program listings show #10 airing on 5/15 and #11 airing on 5/19.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2018, 07:36:36 AM »
Did NBC pre-empt on May 18? Buzzr's program listings show #10 airing on 5/15 and #11 airing on 5/19.

NBC preempted on 5/5 for the first day of the Iran-Contra hearings. Buzzr's OADs must be going off of the slate dates rather than when the episodes actually aired.

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2018, 06:36:55 PM »
NBC preempted on 5/5 for the first day of the Iran-Contra hearings. Buzzr's OADs must be going off of the slate dates rather than when the episodes actually aired.
If that's the case, I am getting so thrown off trying to burn these to discs in weekly blocks. Because now the cars are changing on Tuesday episodes instead of Mondays. Yet on episode 15, the one after the "cherry boats" gaff, Alex says it happened "last week", implying 15 was a Monday episode...

The head spins. And if Marjorie shows up on a Tuesday, then I'll really be dizzy.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

snowpeck

« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2018, 12:59:00 AM »
If that's the case, I am getting so thrown off trying to burn these to discs in weekly blocks. Because now the cars are changing on Tuesday episodes instead of Mondays. Yet on episode 15, the one after the "cherry boats" gaff, Alex says it happened "last week", implying 15 was a Monday episode...

The head spins. And if Marjorie shows up on a Tuesday, then I'll really be dizzy.

I think we're at the point in the production where they know they had a preemption but have had nothing but five or ten episode taping blocks.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

tyshaun1

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2018, 08:51:39 AM »

Speaking of this, do they mention why they replaced Diana with Marjorie? Or was it a case of nepotism?

Tyshaun

snowpeck

« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2018, 09:46:21 AM »

Speaking of this, do they mention why they replaced Diana with Marjorie? Or was it a case of nepotism?

Tyshaun

The reason stated on the show was that Diana left to get married.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

splinkynip

« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2018, 11:28:00 AM »

Eventually, not sure when, they moved to six shows per taping day, mostly three taping days in a row.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2018, 11:49:52 AM »

.......which I guess I find odd, given that (IIRC) Marjorie got married during the show's run as well.

SRIV94

« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2018, 12:12:50 PM »

.......which I guess I find odd, given that (IIRC) Marjorie got married during the show's run as well.

Yes, but Marjorie married someone already on staff (Tim Cutt--Marc Breslow's associate director).
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

splinkynip

« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2018, 12:18:57 PM »
Alex said Diana got married and moved to Australia.

SRIV94

« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2018, 12:27:56 PM »
On a completely different note, is anyone else with Comcast not getting CC in its listings?  (My box has FF in the 12N/12:30 CT slot, TTTT instead of TATTLETALES at 1 [and in a 40-minute window, which then moves WML to 1:40 and PASSWORD to 2:20].)
Doug