Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic Concentration coming to BUZZR.  (Read 53368 times)

Scrabbleship

Re: Classic Concentration coming to BUZZR.
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2018, 06:11:49 AM »
Today's episode featured a contestant unclear on the concept of the show, as he did a literal read of everything on the screen to come up with "Cherry Boats U-V Fye-Oar." Someone maybe should have explained the game a bit more thoroughly.

What's worse is that of the 10 prizes on offer, 9 of them were on his side of the board!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2018, 11:58:15 AM »
Today's episode featured a contestant unclear on the concept of the show, as he did a literal read of everything on the screen to come up with "Cherry Boats U-V Fye-Oar." Someone maybe should have explained the game a bit more thoroughly.
Presuming there's no way to link to a screen shot of the puzzle, what was the answer?
Travis L. Eberle

SamJ93

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2018, 12:12:02 PM »
Presuming there's no way to link to a screen shot of the puzzle, what was the answer?

I think "boats" is supposed to be "oats," in which case the solution was Chariots Of Fire.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

snowpeck

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2018, 01:03:16 PM »

I think "boats" is supposed to be "oats," in which case the solution was Chariots Of Fire.

It was actually supposed to be "yachts," and it was a desperation guess because the whole puzzle had been revealed and neither contestant had figured out that it was supposed to be "yachts."  Alex had to start deciphering it for them before they figured it out.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

BillCullen1

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2018, 08:36:07 AM »
The 2nd CC show airing on 10/10 was interesting. During the bonus round, the contestant called for box 15 and they turned over box 14 by mistake. Alex had them stop the clock and add five seconds to the time of 26 seconds. The lady now had 31 seconds. The clock was started when they revealed box 15.

But wait, there's more. Apparently the screen she was looking at malfunctioned and the lady had to look at a monitor about 30 feet away, making it more difficult to see. Alex said they should just give her a car, which they did. She chose the red convertible.

I'm enjoying seeing CC again. Buzzr doesn't seem to have the clearance issues they had with Wordplay last year.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2018, 09:33:45 AM »
Here's the clip, in case anyone's interested:

https://youtu.be/tQmbiOphgPk
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Scrabbleship

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2018, 12:25:03 PM »
The 2nd CC show airing on 10/10 was interesting. During the bonus round, the contestant called for box 15 and they turned over box 14 by mistake. Alex had them stop the clock and add five seconds to the time of 26 seconds. The lady now had 31 seconds. The clock was started when they revealed box 15.

But wait, there's more. Apparently the screen she was looking at malfunctioned and the lady had to look at a monitor about 30 feet away, making it more difficult to see. Alex said they should just give her a car, which they did. She chose the red convertible.

I'm enjoying seeing CC again. Buzzr doesn't seem to have the clearance issues they had with Wordplay last year.

This episode was also notable for the challenger in the first game, Cecil Stoughton, White House photographer during the Kennedy Administration who took the iconic picture of LBJ being sworn in on Air Force One. Coincidentally, this episode aired on what would've been JFK's 70th birthday.

joshg

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2018, 10:24:53 AM »

Just got to watch this on the DVR... Buzzr skipped the 2 previous shows. We missed Jan in the winner's circle with 40 and 45 seconds.
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

snowpeck

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2018, 01:10:42 PM »

Just got to watch this on the DVR... Buzzr skipped the 2 previous shows. We missed Jan in the winner's circle with 40 and 45 seconds.
They only skipped one show.
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2018, 01:27:07 PM »
Watching today's first episode, in game two, Alex made a comment about a player's selections, commenting that there were only two corners left to pick on the board, 1 and...then he stopped himself as boxes 1 and 21 (the other corner, previously seen) matched.  This is at least the third time in the approx. month or so of shows aired on BUZZR where Alex made an off-the-cuff comment about picks which could give a distinct advantage to the players.  I have to think Old Man Goodson took him to the side between tapings about these extra hints.

tvmitch

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2018, 02:24:37 PM »
Watching today's first episode, in game two, Alex made a comment about a player's selections, commenting that there were only two corners left to pick on the board, 1 and...then he stopped himself as boxes 1 and 21 (the other corner, previously seen) matched.  This is at least the third time in the approx. month or so of shows aired on BUZZR where Alex made an off-the-cuff comment about picks which could give a distinct advantage to the players.  I have to think Old Man Goodson took him to the side between tapings about these extra hints.
I'm honestly surprised we haven't had any bringing-back-of-contestants-who-were-wronged yet. A couple of these Trebek slip-ups have been fairly egregious.

Also, the "interrupted game" rule is a turd. According to Wikipedia inferences, it doesn't stick around long, hopefully.
You should follow me on Twitter

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2018, 02:43:41 PM »
Also, the "interrupted game" rule is a turd. According to Wikipedia inferences, it doesn't stick around long, hopefully.
What about it don't you like? I think that for a show that was never quite able to hash out the timing of the show to match the flow of the game it is a least-bad compromise and is functionally equivalent to the two-loss rule from later in the run.

Now that I've ruminated a bit, the second game of an episode could go longer if the car game was held over to the next day.
Travis L. Eberle

snowpeck

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2018, 03:08:09 PM »
Now that I've ruminated a bit, the second game of an episode could go longer if the car game was held over to the next day.
How would you time out the next day's show then? Seems that you'd be in an even bigger time crunch on that show.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2018, 03:18:12 PM »
Car game-puzzle-car game. Add listing the cars, plugging a couple of prizes and don't remove any squares from the board, and you get at least close to timing out. I don't mind the interrupted game since the other thing to do is stop tape for a minute, start up again and continue the game, with Alex saying "last time out we were in the middle of a match, and here's how it ended."
Travis L. Eberle

tvmitch

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2018, 03:45:37 PM »
Car game-puzzle-car game. Add listing the cars, plugging a couple of prizes and don't remove any squares from the board, and you get at least close to timing out. I don't mind the interrupted game since the other thing to do is stop tape for a minute, start up again and continue the game, with Alex saying "last time out we were in the middle of a match, and here's how it ended."
IIRC I had read that later in the run, it was a 2-of-3 game to get the right to play for the car, which would mean the car game was played maybe once per episode...that's probably also when the show began to straddle? I remember seeing episodes where the 3rd tiebreaker game was just a "solve the puzzle as I reveal it." I could probably poke around YouTube and find evidence of this but can't at the moment.

I just think the interrupted game thing is a turd because you often see the same two people from the last show, but they've switched places, and oh by the way the lady in the challenger's seat has actually played 4 shows and won 2 cars already. I just think the 2-of-3 format made a lot more sense.
You should follow me on Twitter