Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR tapings cancelled this week. Barker has flu.  (Read 18802 times)

uncamark

TPIR tapings cancelled this week. Barker has flu.
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2004, 03:32:35 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 01:06 AM\']If Barker were out for an extended period they could also press one of the Reno emcees into service. Now THAT would be interesting.[/quote]
Probably not so much a problem if Newton got the call, considering the time he's been spending over at 33 (and he supposedly has been watching the show since--everyone--he was a kid).

calliaume

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2004, 03:37:34 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 01:39 PM\'] [quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 08:50 AM\'] That's just selfish. Pure and simple. Selfish to the crew, the contestants
and many others. Say what you will about Walter Cronkite's ego, but when he
got sick or went on vacation, did The CBS Evening News go on as
scheduled anyway? It did. Did CBS have to plug in a rerun? It did not.
They just called up Roger Mudd or Mike Wallace or whoever and the
show went on. Bob needs to get over himself. [/quote]
A point not addressed -- the CBS Evening News airs live (or nearly live) every night.  The days of live TV where game shows are concerned are long-since past, other than the novelty act.  There's no need for a sub host. [/quote]
 Right.  Somebody's got to do The CBS Evening News, be it Dan Rather, John Roberts, Walter Cronkite, Arnold Zenker, or Rudy from the mailroom.

But they have some flexibility with TPIR.  Yeah, a few union guys are going to get paid without shows being produced, and a lot of people who waited to get into 33 are going to be disappointed, but there won't be an hour of dead air.

Don Howard

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2004, 03:53:49 PM »
Johnny Carson then. If a rerun wasn't scheduled and Carson fell ill, the nod would have gone to Jay Leno or Joan Rivers or David Brenner or Garry Shandling or whoever.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2004, 05:18:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 04:53 PM\'] Johnny Carson then. If a rerun wasn't scheduled and Carson fell ill, the nod would have gone to Jay Leno or Joan Rivers or David Brenner or Garry Shandling or whoever. [/quote]
 The analogy between Carson's Tonight Show and today's TPIR isn't particularly apt either, I'm afraid.  Carson routinely used guest hosts (Leno and Rivers were the *regular* guest hosts in their time, but before that a wide variety of folks would step in) so seeing a guest host step in because of illness wouldn't be all that unusual.  

Even after reruns became a possibility, the Tonight Show was considered something fresh and topical every day (the way the Today Show is still viewed) so having a guest host come in, even at the last minute, was preferable to showing a "Best Of".   By comparison, there's just no burning *need* to produce a TPIR if Bob can't make it.  All you have are a couple hundred disappointed fans, many of whom would probably be just as disapponted with a replacement host.

*Could* it be done?  Of course.  And given that they'll have to pick a replacement at some point, there's even a certain amount of logic to doing so.  But if Bob objects, it's not worth the fuss.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2004, 05:43:31 PM »
There are dozens of fannies at CBS News who could sit in Rather's chair for 30 minutes for an evening or three and rattle copy off the prompter (the name Bob Schieffer comes to mind). Anchoring a newscast is such a generic job that there are lots of people who could fill in. Expecting someone to learn, say, 30 pricing games -- enough to get through a week without repeating a game -- plus One Bid and SS and be good at all of them, then expect that person to sit home every taping day waiting for the phone to ring is a different proposition. This makes the proposition of a Barker fill-in trickier, but not impossible with the Reno guys around.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 05:46:33 PM by chris319 »

DrBear

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2004, 07:06:17 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 04:43 PM\'] Expecting someone to learn, say, 30 pricing games -- enough to get through a week without repeating a game -- plus One Bid and SS and be good at all of them, then expect that person to sit home every taping day waiting for the phone to ring is a different proposition. This makes the proposition of a Barker fill-in trickier, but not impossible with the Reno guys around. [/quote]
 I don't think the Reno shows are using all the games ... which means Todd Newton and the other guy (HELP, RANDY, NAME?) could fill in, but they might be limited in what they could present during that time.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

cmjb13

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2004, 07:08:04 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 07:06 PM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 04:43 PM\'] Expecting someone to learn, say, 30 pricing games -- enough to get through a week without repeating a game -- plus One Bid and SS and be good at all of them, then expect that person to sit home every taping day waiting for the phone to ring is a different proposition. This makes the proposition of a Barker fill-in trickier, but not impossible with the Reno guys around. [/quote]
I don't think the Reno shows are using all the games ... which means Todd Newton and the other guy (HELP, RANDY, NAME?) could fill in, but they might be limited in what they could present during that time. [/quote]
 The ones I know of are Plinko and Hole in One (which actually has a smaller hole than the daytime game)
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2004, 07:17:12 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 07:06 PM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 04:43 PM\'] Expecting someone to learn, say, 30 pricing games -- enough to get through a week without repeating a game -- plus One Bid and SS and be good at all of them, then expect that person to sit home every taping day waiting for the phone to ring is a different proposition. This makes the proposition of a Barker fill-in trickier, but not impossible with the Reno guys around. [/quote]
I don't think the Reno shows are using all the games ... which means Todd Newton and the other guy (HELP, RANDY, NAME?) could fill in, but they might be limited in what they could present during that time. [/quote]
 I wonder if there is a game show host who is a fan of game shows, somebody who knows how to explain all the pricing games without a run-through?  What Barker needs is somebody who is not after his job to fill in, Doug Davidson is right across the hall.  From what I remember the other Reno hosts are or were Chris Harrison and Jeff Trachta.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2004, 07:20:49 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 03:32 PM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 01:06 AM\']If Barker were out for an extended period they could also press one of the Reno emcees into service. Now THAT would be interesting.[/quote]
Probably not so much a problem if Newton got the call, considering the time he's been spending over at 33 (and he supposedly has been watching the show since--everyone--he was a kid). [/quote]
 I believe Newton is 34, meaning he wasn't older than 3 when CBS TPIR began.

zachhoran

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2004, 07:25:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 07:17 PM\']
I wonder if there is a game show host who is a fan of game shows, somebody who knows how to explain all the pricing games without a run-through?  What Barker needs is somebody who is not after his job to fill in, Doug Davidson is right across the hall.  From what I remember the other Reno hosts are or were Chris Harrison and Jeff Trachta. [/quote]
Doug D. does of course have experience hosting TPIR(and The Price WAS RIght from his version plays like the one bid does). Doug, on the other hand, didn't preside over every pricing game the daytime TPIR has(though they did use games not part of the 70s or 80s syndicated TPIR rotation which were in the rotation at the time on Daytime TPIR). Then of course, how rusty are his TPIR hosting skills after a decade(some would argue they were rusty then).

How is Chris Harrison doing as a host on the Reno TPIR anyway? He was fair on Mall Masters, granted the show wasn't all that exciting to begin with.

A real dark horse candidate I know, but many of us would LOVE to see Geoff Edwards do TPIR.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 08:23:49 PM by zachhoran »

TimK2003

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2004, 08:18:25 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 01:06 AM\'] If Barker were out for an extended period they could also press one of the Reno emcees into service. Now THAT would be interesting. [/quote]
 I dunno, from what I have seen of Janet in recent years on the news, I can't see her get too excited about anything -- One-Bids, Plinko, Double Showcase Wins,...

;-D

Don Howard

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2004, 09:51:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 05:18 PM\'] And given that they'll have to pick a replacement at some point, there's even a certain amount of logic to doing so.  But if Bob objects, it's not worth the fuss. [/quote]
 Okay. UNCLE! I see I'm alone in this compulsion to designate a sub host so before I get too far in my written rampage, I'll throw the white flag. Bob is of the all-time greats. By no means do I challenge that. Given his position, I suppose I'd want to keep my name and face out there, too, so I do see his side in this. Moving on now.

Gromit

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2004, 03:22:06 AM »
I suspect many of the "big deal the show was cancelled" opinions are those who've seen the taping many times, and who live in the area.

As someone who took special vacation days, drove thousands of miles and tented in freezing weather just to get to see the show, I'd have been *devastated* had they cancelled the taping.

Sure, missing Bob and getting a sub would have been disappointing, but that would be nothing compared to an outright cancellation.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2004, 10:10:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Feb 6 2004, 04:22 AM\'] I suspect many of the "big deal the show was cancelled" opinions are those who've seen the taping many times, and who live in the area.

As someone who took special vacation days, drove thousands of miles and tented in freezing weather just to get to see the show, I'd have been *devastated* had they cancelled the taping.

Sure, missing Bob and getting a sub would have been disappointing, but that would be nothing compared to an outright cancellation. [/quote]
 While I can certainly feel your theoretical pain, the point is that when the producers of a network television program are considering what's in the best interest of their television program, a handful of fans being "devastated" just isn't high on their priority list.

In other words, yes it would be a miserable experience for you and your fellow fans, and I'm sure there were probably some people just like you who actually were devastated when this week's shows were cancelled.  But that alone is not remotely a good enough reason to have a substitute host standing by.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2004, 12:00:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Feb 6 2004, 01:22 AM\'] As someone who took special vacation days, drove thousands of miles and tented in freezing weather just to get to see the show, I'd have been *devastated* had they cancelled the taping.

Sure, missing Bob and getting a sub would have been disappointing, but that would be nothing compared to an outright cancellation. [/quote]
 Then you need to get out more. Bottom line.

Sorry, no sympathy from here. When you make this pilgrimage to Studio 33, or in fact to any live event, you do so with the knowledge that something might Go Down that causes the cancellation of the event.

In this case, I have even less sympathy than usual, because you are in Hollywood. There is LOTS TO SEE AND DO in Hollywood. Yes, you didn't get to see TPiR. Waah. Check out the Walk Of Fame. Eat a Tommyburger. Didja know that the Sunset Grill that Don Henley made famous in song is a teeny little walkup stand? Good lord, I was hanging out in the Guitar Center on Sunset once when Sherman Hemsley walked in, flanked on either side with bodyguards. (No, he doesn't walk like George Jefferson in real life.)

Man, save "devistation" for the loss of a pet or a loved one, or your girlfriend dumping you. Missing out on a game-show taping is not cause for "devistation."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe