Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR tapings cancelled this week. Barker has flu.  (Read 18760 times)

cmjb13

TPIR tapings cancelled this week. Barker has flu.
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2004, 01:35:30 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 12:43 PM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 06:35 AM\'] Obviously, with the shows not being taped this week, 6000 wouldn't tape on 2/17. [/quote]
And back to the original topic, as Mr. Bogart has noted, 2/17 was set to be #6,000.  As I reported on Golden-Road, CBS has apparantly requested that the 6,000th Show tape out of order.  It has been moved back to tape on 2/19.[/quote]
Which means when that show tapes it still won't "officially" be 6000.

Chances are good that they will do another all-car show.

I was told since people expect it (because of precedent), they will probably do it.

Though, I wouldn't expect retrospective clips.

John, do you have any personal connection with the show/CBS?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 01:37:27 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

calliaume

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2004, 01:41:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 09:33 AM\'] [quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 09:11 AM\'] If Jeopardy skipped a taping day because Alex wasn't feeling well, there wouldn't be nearly this much attention. [/quote]
Of course, Alex did miss a couple of tapings of TTTT and Mark Goodson found someone to fill in rather than cancel the tapings. (He looked in the mirror to find someone.) [/quote]
 In that instance, weren't they in the middle of taping a week's worth of shows when Trebek's wife went into labor?  Big difference if you've already got everybody there from cancelling a day or two in advance.

If an on-air personality realizes they're a bit under the weather during a taping, most of them tough it out.  We saw Pat Sajak all but lose his voice a few seasons ago (to the point where Pat and Vanna switched places during the bonus round).

GSWitch

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2004, 03:59:01 PM »
I remember that around the late 70's when Bob Barker was either ill or injured, the people in the audience were informed of a sub host.  All the people were outraged over not having Bob Barker that day because he never missed a show (didn't see or remember Dennis James), that the staff told everyone to leave!

Steve_Bier

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2004, 04:52:01 PM »
Was that sub-host Dennis James, or was it someone else? I would assume someone else, if this was the late 70's, as James left after 1976.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2004, 04:54:53 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 12:59 PM\']I remember that around the late 70's when Bob Barker was either ill or injured, the people in the audience were informed of a sub host.  All the people were outraged over not having Bob Barker that day because he never missed a show (didn't see or remember Dennis James), that the staff told everyone to leave![/quote]
If this happened in the late '70s it was because Dennis James was no longer available as a fill-in emcee, not because the audience was outraged.

Nowadays there is still no alternate emcee available to fill in on a moment's notice, so the only option is to cancel the taping. If Barker were out for an extended period they might be able to press Tom Kennedy into service, but I doubt they would.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2004, 04:57:01 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 02:54 PM\'] If Barker were out for an extended period they might be able to press Tom Kennedy into service, but I doubt they would. [/quote]
 I agree, never happen, but damn, wouldn't that rule. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2004, 04:57:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 09:11 AM\'] If Jeopardy skipped a taping day because Alex wasn't feeling well, there wouldn't be nearly this much attention.[/quote]
Well, he *almost* missed a taping day this week--but if the accident was much worse than it was, all Friedman would've done is postpone the taping to another date.  No doubt they have enough shows in the can that it wouldn't hurt at all--the only potential problem is when they *don't* have enough shows in the can to work around it.  That's when they would get a fill-in--and there's already another thread about *that* right now.

calliaume

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2004, 06:20:30 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 04:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 12:59 PM\']I remember that around the late 70's when Bob Barker was either ill or injured, the people in the audience were informed of a sub host.  All the people were outraged over not having Bob Barker that day because he never missed a show (didn't see or remember Dennis James), that the staff told everyone to leave![/quote]
If this happened in the late '70s it was because Dennis James was no longer available as a fill-in emcee, not because the audience was outraged.

Nowadays there is still no alternate emcee available to fill in on a moment's notice, so the only option is to cancel the taping. If Barker were out for an extended period they might be able to press Tom Kennedy into service, but I doubt they would. [/quote]
 Poor Tom -- he'd be the guy producers turn to when their hosts are sick or dying.  (Although technically Dick Gautier replaced the dying host on It's Your Bet; Kennedy replaced him.)

I don't think Kennedy would want this -- I just went halfway through Brad Francini's web site of TPIR pricing games -- of the 50 games A-M, Kennedy did 25, one's since been retired, and there are 15 new ones in rotation.  Imagine learning 15 new games and relearning 24 old ones when you haven't hosted a game in 17 years and you're in your 70s.

They'd probably put the show in reruns for awhile, and Todd Newton would get 24-hour training if it appeared Barker would be out for a long time.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2004, 06:25:00 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 11:41 AM\'] If an on-air personality realizes they're a bit under the weather during a taping, most of them tough it out.  We saw Pat Sajak all but lose his voice a few seasons ago (to the point where Pat and Vanna switched places during the bonus round). [/quote]
 Regis was losing his voice on an episode of WWTBaM? one time. The contestant was proficient in ASL (American Sign Language), so she taught Regis a few words, and for the first five questions, Regis asked for final answers and declared right ones in sign language. Then during commercial, Davies told him to knock it off, I guess.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2004, 06:45:22 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 06:20 PM\'] [/QUOTE]
Poor Tom -- he'd be the guy producers turn to when their hosts are sick or dying.  (Although technically Dick Gautier replaced the dying host on It's Your Bet; Kennedy replaced him.)

I don't think Kennedy would want this -- I just went halfway through Brad Francini's web site of TPIR pricing games -- of the 50 games A-M, Kennedy did 25, one's since been retired, and there are 15 new ones in rotation.  Imagine learning 15 new games and relearning 24 old ones when you haven't hosted a game in 17 years and you're in your 70s.

[/quote]
 Even Tom gets sick occassionally though, that's how Jamie Farr became a network game show host for a few days.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Mario500

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2004, 07:04:32 PM »
Lets see, Pearson/Fremantle comes in, model position now in permanent rotation, a different announcer every once in a while (ends eventually), and now some of you want a host subbing for Bob? Won't work on "Price" nowadays!

cmjb13

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2004, 07:13:49 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 06:20 PM\']I don't think Kennedy would want this -- I just went halfway through Brad Francini's web site of TPIR pricing games -- of the 50 games A-M, Kennedy did 25, one's since been retired, and there are 15 new ones in rotation.  Imagine learning 15 new games and relearning 24 old ones when you haven't hosted a game in 17 years and you're in your 70s.[/quote]
I once mentioned that Tom Kennedy seemed lost at times probably because he had so many games to remember.

I was told that they only used a small (relatively speaking) rotation of games.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

yo-11-yo

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2004, 11:38:27 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Feb 3 2004, 03:04 PM\']All shows for The Price Is Right for the week of February 2nd to February 5th have been cancelled.[/quote]
I was there on Monday.  They told us right after all the name tags were handed out.  The pages had been cracking jokes all morning, so we all thought it was a joke at first.  One lovely young lady who was wearing a t-shirt indicating that it was her 18th birthday was even in tears.

Oh well, at least I got a TPiR name tag (and an excuse to go back to California!).

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2004, 01:06:57 AM »
If Barker were out for an extended period they could also press one of the Reno emcees into service. Now THAT would be interesting.

DrJWJustice

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2004, 01:39:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 08:50 AM\'] That's just selfish. Pure and simple. Selfish to the crew, the contestants
and many others. Say what you will about Walter Cronkite's ego, but when he
got sick or went on vacation, did The CBS Evening News go on as
scheduled anyway? It did. Did CBS have to plug in a rerun? It did not.
They just called up Roger Mudd or Mike Wallace or whoever and the
show went on. Bob needs to get over himself. [/quote]
 A point not addressed -- the CBS Evening News airs live (or nearly live) every night.  The days of live TV where game shows are concerned are long-since past, other than the novelty act.  There's no need for a sub host.