Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR tapings cancelled this week. Barker has flu.  (Read 18801 times)

cmjb13

TPIR tapings cancelled this week. Barker has flu.
« on: February 03, 2004, 04:04:58 PM »
From cbs.com

Special Notice: Tape Dates Cancelled

All shows for The Price Is Right for the week of February 2nd to February 5th have been cancelled. Mr. Barker has contracted the flu, and under doctor’s orders has been asked to rest for the remainder of the week. Mr. Barker sincerely regrets cancelling the shows and appreciates your understanding at this time. For further information, please call the CBS ticket office at 323-575-2458.

Roger Rose was supposed to tape this week. No word on whether his appearance will be pushed back.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2004, 04:12:11 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 05:36:41 AM »
Not only that, but I saw on golden-road.net that the 6,000th episode is also "up in the air" as far as scheduling goes.  This is one case where TPIR needs a sub host.  Bob's 80 & isn't quite as energenic as he once was.

cmjb13

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 06:35:53 AM »
Obviously, with the shows not being taped this week, 6000 wouldn't tape on 2/17.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 08:10:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 05:36 AM\'] Not only that, but I saw on golden-road.net that the 6,000th episode is also "up in the air" as far as scheduling goes.  This is one case where TPIR needs a sub host.  Bob's 80 & isn't quite as energenic as he once was. [/quote]
 Bob won't allow a sub host. He did in late 1974 for three episodes, as Dennis James(who was doing the weekly nighttime syndicated TPIR at the time) filled in for him on the daytime show. WHen Bob became EP in 1987 upon the death of Frank Wayne(the recently-departed Phil ROssi's dad), part of his contract IIRC says no one will sub host. 'Twould be interesting to see Todd Newton, Marc Summers, or even Randy West step in for a show or two, however.

Don Howard

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 08:50:40 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 08:10 AM\'] Bob won't allow a sub host. [/quote]
That's just selfish. Pure and simple. Selfish to the crew, the contestants
and many others. Say what you will about Walter Cronkite's ego, but when he
got sick or went on vacation, did The CBS Evening News go on as
scheduled anyway? It did. Did CBS have to plug in a rerun? It did not.
They just called up Roger Mudd or Mike Wallace or whoever and the
show went on. Bob needs to get over himself.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 08:53:50 AM by Don Howard »

cmjb13

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 09:08:45 AM »
This is the first time I've heard that that clause is in his contract, but it would make sense.

That's just selfish. Pure and simple. Selfish to the crew
Selfish to some of the crew. Some do get paid when they don't work. (ie: non-tape dates, cancelled dates)

the contestants
Contestants aren't paying to get in, although those who fly to L.A. for the specific purpose of being a contestant might be disappointed.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 09:11:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 09:50 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 08:10 AM\'] Bob won't allow a sub host. [/quote]
show went on. Bob needs to get over himself. [/quote]
 I really don't see the big deal.  Most game shows today don't have substitute hosts and work around the host's vacations or illnesses.  For all we know, other hosts may have that clause in their contracts as well.  Sure, Bob's 80 and more likely to have health problems, but on the other hand, TPIR is the one show for which we obsessively track the production schedule.  If Jeopardy skipped a taping day because Alex wasn't feeling well, there wouldn't be nearly this much attention.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 09:33:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 09:11 AM\'] [quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 09:50 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 08:10 AM\'] Bob won't allow a sub host. [/quote]
I really don't see the big deal.  Most game shows today don't have substitute hosts and work around the host's vacations or illnesses.  For all we know, other hosts may have that clause in their contracts as well.  Sure, Bob's 80 and more likely to have health problems, but on the other hand, TPIR is the one show for which we obsessively track the production schedule.  If Jeopardy skipped a taping day because Alex wasn't feeling well, there wouldn't be nearly this much attention. [/quote]
 Of course, Alex did miss a couple of tapings of TTTT and Mark Goodson found someone to fill in rather than cancel the tapings. (He looked in the mirror to find someone.)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Don Howard

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2004, 11:07:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 09:33 AM\'] [quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 09:11 AM\'] [quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 09:50 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 08:10 AM\'] Bob won't allow a sub host. [/quote]
I really don't see the big deal.  Most game shows today don't have substitute hosts and work around the host's vacations or illnesses.  For all we know, other hosts may have that clause in their contracts as well.  Sure, Bob's 80 and more likely to have health problems, but on the other hand, TPIR is the one show for which we obsessively track the production schedule.  If Jeopardy skipped a taping day because Alex wasn't feeling well, there wouldn't be nearly this much attention. [/quote]
Of course, Alex did miss a couple of tapings of TTTT and Mark Goodson found someone to fill in rather than cancel the tapings. (He looked in the mirror to find someone.) [/quote]
 Good point. Better to have The Best Of Bob than to have a one-hour recreation of The Syd Vinnedge Comedy Routine.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2004, 11:30:34 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 06:10 AM\'] part of his contract IIRC says no one will sub host. [/quote]
 I would love to see proof of this. Did you help draft the contract, Zach?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2004, 11:47:29 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 11:30 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 06:10 AM\'] part of his contract IIRC says no one will sub host. [/quote]
I would love to see proof of this. Did you help draft the contract, Zach? [/quote]
 I think it's an unwritten part of his contract, but it is there. Bob's ego, as someone stated earlier in this thread.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2004, 12:11:59 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 09:47 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 11:30 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 06:10 AM\'] part of his contract IIRC says no one will sub host. [/quote]
I would love to see proof of this. Did you help draft the contract, Zach? [/quote]
I think it's an unwritten part of his contract, but it is there. Bob's ego, as someone stated earlier in this thread. [/quote]
Exactly my point. If it's unwritten, then it ISN'T there, and you're speaking ex rectum.

And you know it, since you've edited the questionable content out of the original message.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 12:14:36 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2004, 12:12:53 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 12:47 PM\'] I think it's an unwritten part of his contract, but it is there. [/quote]
 Zach, this is gibberish even for you.  Something is either in a contract or it's not in a contract.  There may be an unwritten understanding, or an unwritten agreement (and there almost certainly is in this case) but there's no such thing as an unwritten part of a contract, much less one that's definitely "there".
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

DrBear

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2004, 12:39:46 PM »
"An oral agreement isn't worth the paper it's printed on."
-- Samuel Goldwyn.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2004, 12:43:06 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 06:35 AM\'] Obviously, with the shows not being taped this week, 6000 wouldn't tape on 2/17. [/quote]
 And back to the original topic, as Mr. Bogart has noted, 2/17 was set to be #6,000.  As I reported on Golden-Road, CBS has apparantly requested that the 6,000th Show tape out of order.  It has been moved back to tape on 2/19.