Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alex Trebek says he may retire from J! in 2020--link  (Read 8392 times)

Neumms

Re: Alex Trebek says he may retire from J! in 2020--link
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2018, 05:25:14 PM »
So instead of having the host fit in and integrate around the existing camera structure, they added more cameras to work around the host.

He wasn't that fat, was he?

Presumably Jeff Probst would quit Survivor if he took the Jeopardy! job. His enthusiasm for it seems genuine, but spending a couple months of each year far from home in a jungle, no matter how nice the island and catering, might wear on a guy.

Brian Williams might be a consideration. He's witty and avuncular, and it's been said he likes the entertainment realm as much if not more than news. He wouldn't be in a position where his war stories would come up.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2018, 06:27:32 PM »
It seems highly unlikely to me that Jeff Probst would leave a hugely successful primetime show that tapes in beautiful locations around the world to stand at a podium in Los Angeles and read trivia questions.

Presumably Jeff Probst would quit Survivor if he took the Jeopardy! job. His enthusiasm for it seems genuine, but spending a couple months of each year far from home in a jungle, no matter how nice the island and catering, might wear on a guy.

Opinions.  Everybody's got one.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tpirfan28

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2018, 06:35:38 PM »
Are we throwing names out?  Anderson Cooper or Pat Kiernan.

These items are minor and I'm sure there are others.
Joker was sacked (Drew rehearsed it) and 1/2 Off was given the $1000 perfect pricing bonus because Drew didn't like someone winning nothing for pricing everything in a game correctly.

I think Give or Keep was slated to come back because of the free small items, win or lose.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2018, 08:15:47 PM »
1/2 Off was given the $1000 perfect pricing bonus because Drew didn't like someone winning nothing

The beauty of the Price is Right format is that this is literally impossible; by virtue of being on stage to play the game in the first place, the contestant has won something, and further is going to have the opportunity to win something else (at the wheel and potentially at the Showcase), regardless of their performance in the game.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 11:35:10 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brian44

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2018, 08:28:05 PM »
1/2 Off was given the $1000 perfect pricing bonus because Drew didn't like someone winning nothing for pricing everything in a game correctly..
Originally, in the Drew era, the bonus was $500 for correctly guessing the 1/2 off price for each pair of SPs.

Neumms

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2018, 08:40:51 PM »
1/2 Off was given the $1000 perfect pricing bonus because Drew didn't like someone winning nothing for pricing everything in a game correctly.

Secret X bugs me far more than 1/2 Off in this regard. With 1/2 Off, they firmly establish the premise that you're improving your odds. Secret X feels more like Bonus Game and Shell Game, except it's easier to lose.

tpirfan28

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2018, 05:22:00 PM »
The beauty of the Price is Right format is that this is literally impossible; by virtue of being on stage to play the game in the first place, the contestant has won something, and further is going to have the opportunity to win something else (at the wheel and potentially at the Showcase), regardless of their performance in the game.
Plus the point that you win all the small items you priced correctly as well...so in a game like 1/2 Off you are walking away with around $400-500 worth of small items (6) before the bonus was added.

I'll even take it a step further.  George calls your name as the last contestant, you bid $420 and lose, you still walk out with $300 now.  And you lost.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2018, 06:48:24 PM »
I thought I had made a brilliant left-field choice in case they wanted somebody under 50 who isn't Ken Jennings, but then I remembered that he's already hosted a game-ish show:  Kal Penn.
@lambertman

DoItRockapella

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2018, 07:07:13 PM »
Dan Patrick is now saying he's not interested:

He also claims in the linked video that he was offered both TPIR and LMAD, and that Sports Jeopardy is likely to return at some point.

tyshaun1

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2018, 09:33:58 AM »
Dan Patrick is now saying he's not interested:

He also claims in the linked video that he was offered both TPIR and LMAD, and that Sports Jeopardy is likely to return at some point.

Not to take this too far off-topic, but the rumor is that Dan may do some things in the near future with ESPN, including new episodes of Sports Jeopardy!.

Tyshaun

Stackertosh

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2018, 06:57:25 AM »
Makes me wonder how many people were offered The Price is Right job before they went with Drew Carey?

The two people i could see hosting Jeopardy is Ryan Seacrest and Chris Harrison if they decide to ever cancel Millionaire.