Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alex Trebek says he may retire from J! in 2020--link  (Read 8282 times)

DjohnsonCB

Alex Trebek says he may retire from J! in 2020--link
« on: July 30, 2018, 03:14:01 PM »
http://myconnection.cox.com/article/trending/84d1d790-941d-11e8-9a6d-f184ab9f578c/

As far as a replacement host is concerned, my choice would be Ken Jennings.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

BrandonFG

Re: Alex Trebek says he may retire from J! in 2020--link
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 03:53:53 PM »
I wonder if Dan Patrick or Jeff Probst would be interested in ascending to the mothership? I could see either one, esp. Dan.

Always thought Bob Costas would be a good pick as well.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

DoItRockapella

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 07:28:12 PM »
For the record, the linked article states that Alex's own choice to replace him is sportscaster Alex Faust (never heard of him).

I wonder if Dan Patrick or Jeff Probst would be interested in ascending to the mothership? I could see either one, esp. Dan.

Dan Patrick I can see, but it seems highly unlikely to me that Jeff Probst would leave a hugely successful primetime show that tapes in beautiful locations around the world to stand at a podium in Los Angeles and read trivia questions.

I personally would be fine with that, but this article gives a good case as to why a former contestant becoming the new host is unlikely - https://thejeopardyfan.com/2017/11/sorry-buzzy-cohen-ken-jennings-wont-next-host-jeopardy.html

Bobby B.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 08:25:22 PM »
Ever since I first saw Pat Kiernan in action, I've thought he would be perfect for the job.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 10:12:50 PM »
I'd just let the show die.should have done that with TPIR, IMHO.
Except, TPiR was (and prolly still is) a Top 5 daytime show. Jeopardy! is still a Top 5 syndicated show. Both remain cultural phenomena and make a ton of money for their parent companies. They're not going anywhere anytime soon, nor should they.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 10:16:06 PM »
http://myconnection.cox.com/article/trending/84d1d790-941d-11e8-9a6d-f184ab9f578c/

I'd be more willing to volunteer his "rival" Brad Rutter; he actually hosted a high school quiz show out in PA(?). Then again, there's another high school quiz show host/one time J! contestant I can think of, who as far as I know, is looking for a job. :P

Dan Patrick I can see, but it seems highly unlikely to me that Jeff Probst would leave a hugely successful primetime show that tapes in beautiful locations around the world to stand at a podium in Los Angeles and read trivia questions.

Agreed big time. I'm sure "Survivor" fills his plate enough as it is, and R&RJ! is probably but a distant memory in his mind. And maybe it's just me, but I don't even see him being a good fit for regular J!.

Except, TPiR was (and prolly still is) a Top 5 daytime show. Jeopardy! is still a Top 5 syndicated show. Both remain cultural phenomena and make a ton of money for their parent companies. They're going anywhere anytime soon, nor should they.

I'm sure you meant *not* going anywhere anytime soon? (Edit: Ok, he fixed it while I was editing in DoItRockapella's quote)

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 10:17:18 PM »
Fixed.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 10:37:35 PM »

And replace it with what?  A talk show featuring four personalities with unique backgrounds and views?
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 10:44:16 PM »
Just logging this here for posterity in case Johnny has a case of buyers remorse.

/their backgrounds may be different but their views surely aren't.
Travis L. Eberle

cmjb13

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 10:49:48 PM »
He may be talking retirement, but when you think about how many millions of dollars a year he gets for such little work, that seems awfully hard to pass up.

Why not keep doing that as long as he’s physically able to?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

cyclone45

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 11:17:13 PM »
Just logging this here for posterity in case Johnny has a case of buyers remorse.

/their backgrounds may be different but their views surely aren't.

You seem to be obsessed with using my real name on here.

Ahem....Jeopardy is as synonymous with Alex as TPiR was with Bob Barker.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 11:22:33 PM »
You seem to be obsessed with using my real name on here.
Just noting who you are.

That is certainly true. For every host there are all of those people that you see in the credits whose livelihood depends on whether a show catches on or gets another renewal or a big enough station group has a punt the next year. It is easy to say "put it out to stud" when all you see is the people on the screen, but there is much more that you don't see, and bumping off a show takes away a job from those people.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 11:25:55 PM »
Which means what, exactly? Drew Carey enters his 12th season this fall. You say all this as if those two shows didn't have long-running hosts before Alex or Bob took over.

If a TV show stopped because its longtime host stepped down, there would be a whole lotta shows not airing now. TPiR, CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite, The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson...I could go on and on. A money-making show isn't going away just because its iconic host leaves.

cmjb13

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 08:33:53 AM »
Which means what, exactly? Drew Carey enters his 12th season this fall. You say all this as if those two shows didn't have long-running hosts before Alex or Bob took over.

If a TV show stopped because its longtime host stepped down, there would be a whole lotta shows not airing now. TPiR, CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite, The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson...I could go on and on. A money-making show isn't going away just because its iconic host leaves.

I suspect that when Trebek & Sajak's tenure are over, Sony will not adjust the formats to accommodate the new hosts. They will choose hosts that will work within the existing formats.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS