Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When did shows start using satellite?  (Read 3581 times)

danderson

When did shows start using satellite?
« on: July 15, 2018, 07:46:39 PM »
Because in 1984 Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy were being transmitted by satellite to subscribed affiliates. i wodner when that started, rather than bicycling tapes?

BrandonFG

Re: When did shows start using satellite?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 07:55:33 PM »
I believe Entertainment Tonight pioneered the format when it premiered in September 1981.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 07:31:29 AM »
PBS had satellite delivery as early as 1978, so "We Interrupt this Week" may be the first.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

danderson

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 07:58:17 PM »
I watched some game shows this way- the early evening versions of  Sale of the Century,  Card Sharks, and a few others that weren't seen in my market. I also watched $100,000 Pyramid this way too. Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy should count too, i guess.

danderson

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 04:45:43 PM »
Did any of the network game shows prefeed then? the syndie shows did, but i wonder about the network shows.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 12:28:28 AM »
I can recall, "BYyyyyyyyyy satellite!...It's "The Merv Show"!  But I don't recall the year.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

chrisholland03

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 12:36:06 PM »
Did any of the network game shows prefeed then? the syndie shows did, but i wonder about the network shows.

Someone correct me if I'm incorrect, but what I remember seeing was two network feeds - one for E coast, one for W coast.  The feeds ran "realtime".  If an affiliate scheduled a show earlier than the E coast feed, they recorded the feed and aired it on a 1 day delay.

Up until the early 00's N Alabama had overlapping NBC affiliates.  The smaller affiliate aired an inverted daytime schedule for most of the 80s and the early 90s - soaps on a 1 day delay in the morning, games in the afternoon.  Additionally, it aired shows that the CBS affiliate dropped - 80s Tattletales, Monty Hall BtC, the last few months of MG79.

danderson

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 12:25:42 AM »

Someone correct me if I'm incorrect, but what I remember seeing was two network feeds - one for E coast, one for W coast.  The feeds ran "realtime".  If an affiliate scheduled a show earlier than the E coast feed, they recorded the feed and aired it on a 1 day delay.

Up until the early 00's N Alabama had overlapping NBC affiliates.  The smaller affiliate aired an inverted daytime schedule for most of the 80s and the early 90s - soaps on a 1 day delay in the morning, games in the afternoon.  Additionally, it aired shows that the CBS affiliate dropped - 80s Tattletales, Monty Hall BtC, the last few months of MG79.

That's how i saw the last SOTC- on the west coast feed. NBC also had a mountain time zone feed too.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 07:42:55 PM »
1984 was when ABC, NBC, and CBS all transitioned to full satellite distribution, which meant for Alaska and Hawaii, no more getting tapes of shows flown in regularly from Seattle and Los Angeles respectively.

Around that same time, the syndicators started adopting satellite to send their shows out instantaneously. I think prior to that, a station who had the "bicycled" tape on 2-inch or 1-inch would make 3/4-inch dubs for other nearby markets so that some parts of the country would see that episode on the same week; Solid Gold, Star Search, and America's Top 10 were examples.

As for game shows: the aforementioned Jeopardy, nighttime Family Feud, All-New LMAD, and the newbies that came and went in '84 were the first to be satellite-fed, while Tic Tac Dough and Joker's Wild were still bicycled until the end.

Satellite was also the only way we could see nighttime Card Sharks/TPIR, Win, Lose, or Draw (Bert Convy), and whatever else that never cleared Alaska when they were first aired; the GSN reruns would be "new" to most of us.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 08:43:24 PM by johnnya2k3 »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 11:35:48 AM »
Some notes:  I believe 1984 is correct.  For example, in my area the nighttime Wheel of Fortune actually started on Aug 22, 1983.  Two weeks later, a station in a more distant market picked it up, and started with the premiere.  For the whole year the two stations were two weeks out of sync.  Starting in fall 1984, they were airing the same episode each night.

The station I worked at in the late '80s carried the syndie Let's Make a Deal from '84-86.  I remember one of my colleagues stating that if they missed the satellite feed for a particular episode, they'd have to send to Los Angeles for a replacement tape and it would be very costly.

I knew that Hawaii always got the network shows a week delayed.  I have some TVGuides from Hawaii and the schedule they used was very different.  For example, one of the network affiliates might run a network show at 7 PM, then a syndicated rerun at 7:30, then another network show at 8.  They also aired mostly on different nights than they did on the mainland.  I guess by '84 they synched-up.

Re bicycling...in doing some research in old TVGuides I noticed a pattern with one particular show.  Back in '76, WNEW in New York aired Break the Bank on Saturday nights at 6 PM.  Two Fridays later, WKBW Buffalo aired that episode.  I've never noticed this pattern until now.  Oddly, Syracuse (which is between those two cities) wasn't on the same bicycling route at all.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

danderson

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 11:56:46 PM »
The dish was the only way I could see Press Your Luck after it moved to 4pm. Super Password the same way, since it aired at noon.