Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: To Tell the Truth 7/15/18 - Anitra Ford  (Read 8388 times)

snowpeck

To Tell the Truth 7/15/18 - Anitra Ford
« on: July 13, 2018, 07:16:39 PM »
Buzzr shared a clip of this Sunday's To Tell the Truth on social media. One of the subjects will be original TPIR model Anitra Ford. (Mods: Feel free to move this to Show Summaries if that's a better spot.)

https://www.facebook.com/BUZZRplay/videos/190164788346842/
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

SuperMatch93

Re: To Tell the Truth 7/15/18 - Anitra Ford
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 10:50:34 PM »
"Number 1, what did Bob say at the end of each show?"

"Good night, and good luck."

EDIT: And that ended up being Anitra anyway. Guess she didn't watch the show much after her tenure.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:07:50 PM by SuperMatch93 »
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BillCullen1

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 09:41:33 AM »
According to that answer, Bob hosted See it Now and Person to Person.

The team as a whole wasn't all that good. Not knowing how someone wins both showcases and mixing up the showcase and showcase showdown.

byrd62

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 04:13:47 PM »
According to that answer, Bob hosted See it Now and Person to Person.

The team as a whole wasn't all that good. Not knowing how someone wins both showcases and mixing up the showcase and showcase showdown.

They're not alone.  I'm sure many in the media have often confused the "Showcase Showdown" with the "Showcase" round itself for years.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 04:19:11 PM »
I didn't see the show, but let's face it: The TPIR models probably are too busy changing outfits or moving to their next marks to pay attention to details of the host's patter. Hearing what Bob said at the end of the show over the music, applause, and general crowd noise had to be almost impossible, and "Bob Barker saying, 'Goodbye, everybody!'"--Bob's closing during Anitra's tenure--isn't terribly memorable.

On the other hand, you kind of have to be a TPIR geek to know what to ask to ferret out the real Barker's Beauty. Asking her to name the other models on the show at the time might work, but how many non-geeks would know if she was giving the right answer? Non-geeks might think to ask who the announcer was (and know the right answer), but would they think to ask who hosted the nighttime version (if they even were aware of it) or who directed the show (and, again, know if the answers were correct)?

jage

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 04:45:37 PM »
Also, a long string of questions about the DSW, which was not a rule during at least a good chunk of her tenure. It's easy for us to pick apart this segment, but I'd wager that similar missteps happen for experts in other fields that make their fan bases cringe.

JohnTheGameMan

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 08:51:49 PM »
In defense of Anitra, the first few years of Price was that it was a half-hour show, thus no showcase showdowns.  Plus it has been long since Anitra's last appearance on Price.  BTW:  Anitra appeared in the 1974 movie The Longest Yard and also appeared on an episode of Banacek.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 08:54:30 AM »
BTW:  Anitra appeared in the 1974 movie The Longest Yard and also appeared on an episode of Banacek.
Thanks, IMDB.

Price hadn’t become as culturally relevant as it is now, and to be fair, there have always been truthers who didn’t seem to know their field all that well. That being said, it still seems weird to me that she knew as little as she did- I would have assumed she’d do some reading up on her tenure before going on a show where she would have to talk about it.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BillCullen1

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 10:32:19 AM »
In past versions of TTTT with Collyer and Moore hosting, there were staff members that went over and briefed the imposters on the subject matter. I get the feeling that may not be the case with this current version.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 12:05:10 PM »
In past versions of TTTT with Collyer and Moore hosting, there were staff members that went over and briefed the imposters on the subject matter. I get the feeling that may not be the case with this current version.
That would be hilarious, because many other things from the same production company come off as extremely scripted.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

calliaume

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 04:39:13 PM »
Good points above.  Beside the Big Wheel not being around during Anitra's tenure, or the DSW rule, Bob had not become an animal rights activist, so he wasn't mentioning having your pets spayed or neutered.

Questions we would have asked had we been there:
1) What was the name of the other model you worked with during your tenure?
2) Who hosted the nighttime version of TPIR?

chad1m

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 04:46:17 PM »
Yes, I'm sure #3 dropped Dorothy Jo's name because of her vast knowledge of Bob Barker, and not from her briefing/studying.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 05:05:06 PM »
Beside the Big Wheel not being around during Anitra's tenure, or the DSW rule,
Anitra was on Price until December 1976, well after both the Double Showcase Rule and Big Wheel were introduced, so asking questions about those makes sense.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 06:51:50 PM »
I don't know if staff members went over things with the impostors here, but I'd say possibly yes because #3 definitely did some of their homework. She knew that Price taped in Studio 33 and been named in Bob's honor and that Bob's wife was Dorothy Jo. In fact, her post-reveal fact was that she hadn't seen an episode of this version of the show until two days prior. My guess is that they told her to watch (or even gave her an episode) to see what the show was about.

I was annoyed at the inaccuracies of the panel's questions and asking Anitra about things she wasn't around long for/not around for at all, but to their credit they acknowledged that some things might not have been around when she was and that it was a long time ago.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.