Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Let's Make A Deal doing a former contestant special  (Read 6546 times)

jimlangefan

Let's Make A Deal doing a former contestant special
« on: July 09, 2018, 04:24:28 PM »
BUZZR just posted this on their page.  LMAD is looking for former contestants from the '60's, '70's, and '80's or their immediate family members for a special episode which will tape on September 27th. 

http://on-camera-audiences.com/shows/Lets_Make_a_Deal_SPECIAL
TV's Big Dealer

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Re: Let's Make A Deal doing a former contestant special
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 07:20:26 PM »
Cool idea, but this caught my eye:
On Thursday, September 27th, Let’s Make a Deal is celebrating contestants who appeared on the 1960s, 1970s or 1980s version of Let’s Make a Deal hosted by Monty Hall!
Sooooo...I guess anybody who was on Monty's era of the 1990-91 version will be turned away at the door? Because that's what this is suggesting to me, especially since The Price Is Right's 40th-Anniversary show didn't restrict itself like this.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 07:35:11 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 07:55:19 PM »
More likely they forgot it was even a thing.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SamJ93

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 10:58:52 PM »
Does Fremantle have the rights to the '90 version, considering it was co-produced by Dick Clark? If they plan on showing clips of the contestant's first appearances, maybe that's an issue.

/Dare I even mention Big Deal or the Billy Bush version?
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

snowpeck

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 11:24:51 PM »
Does Fremantle have the rights to the '90 version, considering it was co-produced by Dick Clark? If they plan on showing clips of the contestant's first appearances, maybe that's an issue.

Wouldn't it be a similar issue if they were on in the 60s? Most of those episodes aren't available anywhere.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 06:08:01 AM »
What about the Billy Bush version?  Would they have to dress up like a cat?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TimK2003

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 10:56:08 AM »
Let's not forget Stone-Stanley's "Big Deal" contestants,...er....never mind!

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 11:25:42 PM »

Wouldn't it be a similar issue if they were on in the 60s? Most of those episodes aren't available anywhere.

As long as we're speculating, maybe they're excluding the 1990 version because it was taped in Florida and they didn't want to reach out to people who would need to cover travel expenses to get back on the show.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 05:15:35 AM »
What might be fun is if the returning contestants had to trade one of the prizes they won on the old show.  For example, they could trade their Rice-a-Roni, Jolly Time Pop Corn or Niagara Spray Starch for what's in the box.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 05:48:01 AM »
I don't know if I would ever want to meet the person who held onto a box of Rice-a-Roni for nearly 40 years.

Although I once met a lady with a crapton of coupons for products and sizes they hadn't made in years...and strangely enough none of them were expired.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 07:07:49 PM »
I don't know if I would ever want to meet the person who held onto a box of Rice-a-Roni for nearly 40 years.
I could see it as the players being given a reproduction or current-day box of (for instance) Rice-a-Roni for use in a potential deal, similar to the 1960s shows.

As long as we're speculating, maybe they're excluding the 1990 version because it was taped in Florida and they didn't want to reach out to people who would need to cover travel expenses to get back on the show.
That doesn't really make sense to me, though, since some pre-1990 players might currently be living in Florida or even further away from California.

I'm with Chris L. on this just being a simple oversight.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 07:22:44 PM »
That doesn't really make sense to me, though, since some pre-1990 players might currently be living in Florida or even further away from California.

I'm with Chris L. on this just being a simple oversight.
It may not make as much sense to you, but it's prolly a whole lot easier for the staff to get people from Southern (or even Northern) California. The less they have to worry about out-of-state contestants making accommodations, the better.

I imagine it's a cross between both that and the show's relative obscurity. I also imagine you won't hear much from the Canadian or post-1984 versions (Orlando, Big Deal, LMAD '03) for those reasons.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 09:55:23 PM »
I wonder if they'll find the woman with the baby bottle from 1969...

- Kevin

johnnya2k3

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 02:23:43 PM »
Or that one contestant from 1976 who turned down one new car after another, thinking one of them was a Zonk (she re-appeared on the 2003 version and met that very same fate)!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 01:30:14 PM by johnnya2k3 »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 11:31:44 PM »
Or that one contestant from 1976 who turned down one new car after another, thinking one of them was a Zonk (she appeared on the 2003 version and met that very same fate)!

Science again! I said science again!
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022