Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Disclaimers  (Read 54613 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Re: Game Show Disclaimers
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2018, 11:35:10 AM »
After the show, Buddy was called from his square and questioned by producers, and in that same episode, his square is noticeably vacant during the end credits.
Is this something that's verifiable from another source? 
--Mark
Phil 4:13

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2018, 11:56:12 AM »
Is this something that's verifiable from another source?
No idea on the "questioned by producers" part, but the episode he mentioned was aired by GSN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQSbp-S9e4k

The question about doctors is at 5:37, and Buddy is absent from the grid starting at 22:25.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Bob Zager

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2018, 12:02:51 PM »
During the original run of "The Dating Game," when a big name star appeared on the show, announcer Johnny Jacobs would mention, "dates with celebrities are always subject to their availability." 

Also, during the 1973-'74 syndicated run of "The New Dating Game," Jacobs would additionally mention, "contestants were single at the time of recording."

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2018, 01:32:57 PM »
This is how I got in trouble.  In Gil Fates' What's My Line? book, he wrote Celebrity Sweepstakes had the following disclaimer:

Some of the questions were based on general and specific knowledge and information furnished by the celebrities to the production company prior to the show.  Celebrities have been furnished with joke answers as well as with some of the questions and answers.

Which, to me, sounded a lot fishier than The Hollywood Squares' claim that "actual questions and answers may be given or discerned by the celebrities" - if you're giving people joke answers and possible bluff answers, they'll probably figure out what the questions are.

In any case, I put it on my (now deceased) web page.  And a couple years later, Jim MacKrell told me that information was wrong - the celebs weren't given the answers at all.  And on the last episode on YouTube, he's right - no disclaimer other than the standard selected in advance.
Not on the last episode, but for certain they used that disclaimer during some portion of the run. So if Jim's remembering correctly and they weren't giving answers to celebs in advance, what could that disclaimer mean?
https://imgur.com/a/UJt9uHK

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2018, 01:38:11 PM »
After the show, Buddy was called from his square and questioned by producers
[CITATION NEEDED]

Mike Tennant

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2018, 02:04:02 PM »
Peter Marshall, Backstage with the Original Hollywood Square, page 73:

Buddy very seldom missed an answer, for two good reasons. First, he's an intelligent, well-read man. Second, once he knew the areas of the questions he was going to be asked, he would actually study up for the show. Compliance and Practices got suspicious about Buddy always being right and came into the room with the producer when he was being briefed to make sure no one was giving him the answers. That night I asked Buddy a medical question and his answer didn't match the one on the card. I said, "Looks like you finally missed one, Buddy." Well, Buddy got upset and during the break went out to his car and got a medical book he'd been reading, and there was the answer he'd given--the correct one.

Not exactly the way whewfan described it, but pretty close.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2018, 07:53:51 PM »
And this clip at :38 explains the incomplete dice rolls  -- and unanswered questions, in which I do have a clip of, but on RealVideo -- being edited out on High Rollers (Martindale):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRsTSZJcwWE
Incomplete dice rolls on the Alex Trebek version were left in, by the way.

danderson

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2018, 09:21:37 PM »
I've always wondered if the host always does the rehearsals. Monty Hall usally left it up to Stefan Hatos to do it. But Jay Stewart would be there to do the announcing.

TimK2003

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2018, 10:47:55 PM »
I've always wondered if the host always does the rehearsals. Monty Hall usally left it up to Stefan Hatos to do it. But Jay Stewart would be there to do the announcing.

There is a brief YT clip from a rehearsal of the original Split Second out in Internetland, where then-announcer Jack Clark is playing the role of Tom Kennedy.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2018, 04:49:42 PM »
I have a feeling Wink rehearsing High Rollers was more about the rotating mini games. In one of the rehearsals I saw, he was otherwise speeding through it until they came upon the game they were using that taping day, at which point they slowed down, and there was increased off-stage chatter back and forth on how it would be presented, etc.

But when it's the day-in-day-out rehearsals for the tech crew and/or the contestants, we see the stand-ins: just to name a few, we know (from the trading circuit and/or this board) that Johnny Gilbert did Headline Chasers, Rich Jeffries did Password Plus, and the contestant coordinator(s) host the Jeopardy! rehearsals.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

calliaume

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2018, 10:45:55 AM »

There's a clip on YouTube of Jack Clark hosting a rehearsal version of Split Second, rather than Tom Kennedy.

I gathered from Jim MacKrell that Bill Armstrong hosted some rehearsal versions of Celebrity Sweepstakes.

BrandonFG

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2018, 03:20:52 PM »

There's a clip on YouTube of Jack Clark hosting a rehearsal version of Split Second, rather than Tom Kennedy.

I gathered from Jim MacKrell that Bill Armstrong hosted some rehearsal versions of Celebrity Sweepstakes.
There's also a clip of Mark Richards hosting a practice round of Jeopardy!. It's from the first or second season, so I don't know who does this now.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JepMasta

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2019, 09:14:33 AM »
My favorite is not from a game show but from the production logo for WorldVision (which produced a bunch of shows) that said:

"Not affiliated with World Vision International, a religious and charitable organization"

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2019, 02:01:03 PM »
My favorite is not from a game show but from the production logo for WorldVision (which produced a bunch of shows) that said:

"Not affiliated with World Vision International, a religious and charitable organization"

That disclaimer was seen on Let's Make a Deal. (albeit, this video is a blobby example, thanks to the luma key)

https://youtu.be/_zIcix4wFzM?t=1456

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2019, 02:27:08 PM »
It also appeared on the short-lived Take My Word for It. I can't seem to find any full episodes, but I do remember the Worldvision logo being at the end.

I did, find a clearer version from Pictionary...

https://youtu.be/d-AAVw1FdVA?t=1230
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!