Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Disclaimers  (Read 54637 times)

Argo

Game Show Disclaimers
« on: June 21, 2018, 10:21:21 AM »
Off and on I've noticed interesting game show disclaimers on game shows.

I haven't watched many Joker's Wild episodes, but noticed during the credits of a 1982 episode:

"in the event of the unavailability or price increase of any prize, producer reserves the right to substitute cash or prizes equivalent to the announced price of such prize"

Was this used often?

Also, I remember for a period, especially on 70's Nighttime TPIR, Johnny would say "The model of automobile won maybe changed due to availability, prices of automobiles do not include tax and license and hotel accommodations are subject to availability.", then that disappeared. Were there different rules for the daytime vs syndicated episodes?

One of the last disclaimers I've noticed was from Martindale High Rollers = "All Trips originate from Los Angeles".

Any other odd game show disclaimers anyone know about? Anyone know when/why they occurred or why they disappeared?

TimK2003

Re: Game Show Disclaimers
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 10:32:02 AM »

Also, I remember for a period, especially on 70's Nighttime TPIR, Johnny would say "The model of automobile won maybe changed due to availability, prices of automobiles do not include tax and license and hotel accommodations are subject to availability.", then that disappeared. Were there different rules for the daytime vs syndicated episodes?

Not sure on that, but I do remember that on LMAD, Jay Stewart would usually say for car prizes, "we're adding tax and license bringing your total to $x,xxx.xx".  Don't know of any other game shows that did that.

jimlangefan

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 01:21:11 PM »
Off and on I've noticed interesting game show disclaimers on game shows.

I haven't watched many Joker's Wild episodes, but noticed during the credits of a 1982 episode:

"in the event of the unavailability or price increase of any prize, producer reserves the right to substitute cash or prizes equivalent to the announced price of such prize"

Was this used often?

Joker & Tic Tac used that credit from late 1980 through almost the end of their runs in 1986.  Bullseye used that credit as well, even after the switch to Celebrity Bullseye.
TV's Big Dealer

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 01:37:29 PM »
Staying in the Barry & Enright stable.....

"Discovery of a contestant's ineligibility may result in forfeiture of accrued winnings and the donation by producer of such winnings to a charity."

Mr. Matté

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 02:30:58 PM »

"Discovery of a contestant's ineligibility may result in forfeiture of accrued winnings and the donation by producer of such winnings to a charity."

B&E must've disclaimered up the wazoo to try to make up for the 1950s stuff. I remember seeing the credits on an early syndie TJW where the list of ±"The following companies have furnished prizes for free or less than retail for promotion" included "Barry & Enright Prod."

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 02:34:46 PM »
"Ben Stein's Money" is the prize budget furnished by the Producer.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 02:51:31 PM »
Any other odd game show disclaimers anyone know about? Anyone know when/why they occurred or why they disappeared?
Early episodes of WitWiCS had a disclaimer to the effect of "information was accurate as of tape date".
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 04:52:08 PM by Dbacksfan12 »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

jimlangefan

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 03:49:27 PM »

B&E must've disclaimered up the wazoo to try to make up for the 1950s stuff. I remember seeing the credits on an early syndie TJW where the list of ±"The following companies have furnished prizes for free or less than retail for promotion" included "Barry & Enright Prod."

Wrong list lol.  The list they appeared under "The following companies have paid or received a fee for promotion on the program."  In the 1981-1982 season that credit became "The production company & T.M.C (Television Marketing Consultants) have been paid fees by the following suppliers of prizes for their use and promotion on the program."
TV's Big Dealer

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 03:56:30 PM »
Early episodes of WitWiCS had a disclaimer to the effect of   "information was accurate as of tape date".
I think you have it reversed.  As far as I recall, first season episodes didn't have that disclaimer.  Later seasons did.

Kniwt

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 04:45:22 PM »
Early episodes of WitWiCS had a disclaimer to the effect of   "information was accurate as of tape date".

Many/most BBC quiz shows use "All information correct at time of recording":

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 06:57:31 PM »
I think you have it reversed.  As far as I recall, first season episodes didn't have that disclaimer.  Later seasons did.

This is true.  After the show had been on a little while, there happened to be a bunch of upheaval geographically, notably the dissolution of Czechoslovakia.  The WitWICS disclaimer was not on the shows originally, it came later.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 07:07:15 PM »
Dunno if this counts, but from Pyramid: I remember that middle paragraph caused a minor controversy back in the ATGS era...

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 07:45:35 PM »

This is true.  After the show had been on a little while, there happened to be a bunch of upheaval geographically, notably the dissolution of Czechoslovakia.  The WitWICS disclaimer was not on the shows originally, it came later.
Whoops!  Thanks for the correction.  I knew the disclaimer was related to the break up of the Soviet Union. 
--Mark
Phil 4:13

jage

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 09:43:33 PM »
I remember part of the song being changed for seemingly exactly this reason.

Otm Shank

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 10:05:32 PM »
Some that come to mind:

"The prices of the prizes have been furnished to the contestants prior to the show and have been rounded off to the nearest dollar. Gift certificates do not include sales tax." And sometimes when a Southern California excursion was won, "The trip to _ does not include transportation."

"The areas of questions designed for the celebrities and possible bluff answers are discussed with some celebrities in advance. In the course of their briefing, actual questions and/or answers may be discerned by the celebrities."