Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Disclaimers  (Read 54631 times)

whewfan

Re: Game Show Disclaimers
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2022, 05:43:59 PM »
I guess they didn't want people thinking the bachelor/bachelorette wrote these questions themselves. The show obviously has certain directions they want the show to go. Asking questions such as "Where would we go on the date?" or "Do you kiss on the first date?" might have some entertaining answers, but the writers might want to spice it up with something like "You are the Wizard from the Wizard of Oz, and I come to ask you for something you have. What would you give me?"

Stackertosh

« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2022, 05:03:50 AM »
I don't know if this counts

Nigeria Who Wants to be a Millionaire has a disclaimer that the lighting from the set might cause seizures. I don't think I ever seen a disclaimer like this before on any version of Millionaire. Their set is based off the uk set.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2022, 11:44:30 AM »
I don't know if this counts

Nigeria Who Wants to be a Millionaire has a disclaimer that the lighting from the set might cause seizures. I don't think I ever seen a disclaimer like this before on any version of Millionaire. Their set is based off the uk set.

I'd say it does, though that's the first time I've ever seen a disclaimer like that on a game show.

I did see an epilepsy warning on Corden once, and it was before a musical performance that had a lot of very quick cuts (think money card reveal on Sale) at the end.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Kniwt

« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2022, 12:00:59 PM »
(think money card reveal on Sale)

That was always fun to watch. Back then, did it all have to be done by hand? (Director to TD: "TakeCamera1! TakeCamera2! TakeCamera1! TakeCamera2!") Or could the mixing consoles of the time do it sort-of automatically?

SuperMatch93

« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2022, 12:47:02 PM »
(think money card reveal on Sale)

That was always fun to watch. Back then, did it all have to be done by hand? (Director to TD: "TakeCamera1! TakeCamera2! TakeCamera1! TakeCamera2!") Or could the mixing consoles of the time do it sort-of automatically?

I always imagined the TD mashing the buttons on his panel Track and Field-style.  :)
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2022, 01:29:07 PM »
I’ve mentioned before that I work on a college campus, servicing and “directing” online classes. Before everything went to Zoom, we had a small switcher for the cameras (one for the teacher, one for the students).

Long story short, you line up your two camera shots and just press the switch button rapidly. When I produced news, our directors could do the same. That’s a much simpler version, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s all they did on $ale. 
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

That Don Guy

« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2022, 01:42:36 PM »
Building off that item, CBS had the above announcement, NBC I and others have mentioned earlier in the thread that anything edited out of the program had a summary read, I wonder if ABC had any network-specific disclaimers, or really anything network-specific period other than the hard $20,000 winnings limit in the 70s.

The only thing I can think of that I only ever heard on ABC was, when Let's Make a Deal had a repeat, at the end of the broadcast, you heard Jay Stewart say something like, "The preceding was a repeat of an earlier telecast." I say that it was an ABC thing because the repeats aired for the last week of The Moneymaze had the same disclaimer.

And when, exactly, was ABC's $20,000 hard limit? I thought Family Feud had a soft $25,000 limit from its debut.

Bryce L.

« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2022, 01:54:31 PM »
I thought Family Feud had a soft $25,000 limit from its debut.
As far as I'm aware, it did... though I know the "hard $20,000" was a thing at least in 1975, since in the Password All-Stars episode included on the Betty White's Pet Set DVD compilation, a player ends up retiring from reaching it, and their final Big Money Lightning Round had its final payout adjusted downward (by I-forget-how-much) so that their final winnings would be exactly $20,000. And I've always heard that limit is why Bob Stewart only went up to $20,000 on daytime Pyramid... speculation, but maybe Goodson-Todman had to get special dispensation from the network to have the "soft $25,000" limit for Feud?

rebelwrest

« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2022, 06:27:19 PM »
And when, exactly, was ABC's $20,000 hard limit? I thought Family Feud had a soft $25,000 limit from its debut.

When Break the Bank 76 was on, ABC had a soft limit of $20,000 but a hard limit of $25,000.  Tom explained it as such on the 4/19/76 episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k_enqDnpzQ&t=2m56s

Now I want to ask when did $25,000 become the soft limit, because didn't the first family to retire on ABC Family Feud won around $29,000?
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

chrisholland03

« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2022, 07:23:14 PM »

When Break the Bank 76 was on, ABC had a soft limit of $20,000 but a hard limit of $25,000.  Tom explained it as such on the 4/19/76 episode.

Now I want to ask when did $25,000 become the soft limit, because didn't the first family to retire on ABC Family Feud won around $29,000?

My high school civics teacher was on daytime Feud in '79, and from what he described, each family member was a unique contestant (with a $25k cap).  The checks were paid as equal shares to each contestant.  His appearance was interesting - their first appearance was the last 3 shows of the taping block and they had to come back weeks later to continue.  In their 4th game, an incorrect answer was accepted in the last round and the error was not caught until after the show aired.  They were called back in '80 and they got to restart their winnings counter with an explanation of what happened.   They won another 4 games, but he says they threw the 5th game because it would have been in an another taping block - and they were being relocated.  Unfortunately their episodes have not re-aired - I only have the chopped up copies they had a friend record OTA.

BillCullen1

« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2022, 07:56:19 AM »

Interesting that in that BTB episode, a question was thrown out because both celebs gave a wrong answer. Tom explained that one of the answers had to be correct. A new question was asked. The correct answer to the thrown out question was revealed after the commercial break.

Otm Shank

« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2022, 11:32:32 AM »

I know he had to share that for disclosure reasons, but it's like he jinxed a no-hitter by mentioning it.

(Also Alex Karras got the eternal 500Hz tone for his Polish joke. Tom was not amused.)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2022, 02:30:41 PM »
Long story short, you line up your two camera shots and just press the switch button rapidly. When I produced news, our directors could do the same. That’s a much simpler version, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s all they did on $ale.

This. You've already got the card in program and the player in cue for the reaction. Hit Take a bunch of times; the flip/flop circuit does all of the work. Most basic switcher trick there is. Just have to remember to do it an even number of times so you end up back on the money card for the slightly longer hold before you go back to the player.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2022, 05:04:00 PM »

This. You've already got the card in program and the player in cue for the reaction. Hit Take a bunch of times; the flip/flop circuit does all of the work. Most basic switcher trick there is. Just have to remember to do it an even number of times so you end up back on the money card for the slightly longer hold before you go back to the player.

That, or hot-punch both source buttons back and forth on the main program bus. A good TD could certainly pull that off without accidentally hitting another camera's source button. I've actually tried that at the local community media studio (*not* on the air, of course!!!! :P)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2022, 07:49:00 PM »
That, or hot-punch both source buttons back and forth on the main program bus. A good TD could certainly pull that off without accidentally hitting another camera's source button. I've actually tried that at the local community media studio (*not* on the air, of course!!!! :P)

If I'm your director, I'm gonna point out that my way is less error prone, but also concede that it's your conn and you do what you're more comfortable doing, with the understanding that if you hot-punch it and screw it up I'm gonna chew you a new asshole. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe