Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Longest consecutive running game show, what's #6  (Read 6912 times)

cyclone45

Longest consecutive running game show, what's #6
« on: June 07, 2018, 03:29:04 AM »
Price is obviously #1
Then Wheel, Jeopardy, Millionaire, Feud, what's #6?
Note: I said consecutive so years off wouldn't count...Sale, maybe? I could be answering my own question but I could be wrong.

Jimmy Owen

Re: Longest consecutive running game show, what's #6
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 06:59:38 AM »
Probably "Concentration" or one of the panel shows.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 08:22:50 AM »

Quite sure it'd be Daly's "WML?" (around 17 years).

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 08:35:21 AM »

Quite sure it'd be Daly's "WML?" (around 17 years).

You're both right.  WML? if you count shows that only aired weekly, and Concentration for daily shows.

As far as daily shows go, after Concentration I think you have the original daytime runs of Hollywood Squares, Let's Make a Deal...and then Jeopardy again, this time the Fleming version.  However, the current version of Let's Make a Deal shows no sign of stopping, and in a few seasons will start eclipsing some of those silver-age runs.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 11:01:39 AM »
Price is obviously #1
Then Wheel, Jeopardy, Millionaire, Feud, what's #6?
Note: I said consecutive so years off wouldn't count...Sale, maybe? I could be answering my own question but I could be wrong.

Would Millionaire be after Feud given the summer off it had between Regis and Meredith? That would put Feud as #4, WML? as #5, and (Syndie) Millionaire as #6?

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 11:34:23 AM »
If that doesn't count, then 80% of TV shows would lose their 'long-running' streaks every time they go into summer hiatus.

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 11:50:05 AM »
Remember when 80s sitcoms like “Mama’s Family” got cancelled after a year or two, then had a longer run in syndication? That’s how I’d like to consider “Millionaire”, esp since it continued the immediate fall and not a couple years later. So, both it and “Feud” are closing in on two decades.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BillCullen1

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 03:44:20 PM »
The current version of Feud will start its 20th season the Fall. The 9th with Steve Harvey as host, which is about as long as Dawson hosted the original version. The daily version of Millionaire started in 2002. If you add on the three years it was on ABC, then it ties with Feud, since they both started in the summer/fall of 1999.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 12:07:36 AM »
What's #6 though?
Jimmy and Ian answered your question. If you want to go by years, it's What's My Line (17). If you want to go with episodes, it's Concentration (3,770). WML had 876.

It's up to you to decide which one you want to be #6.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 03:21:20 AM »
I think based on his initial post, he's talking consecutive years and not episodes. And by consecutive years I mean all platforms, including syndication.

Which is why he ranks Price 1 and Wheel 2, with the difference of three years (72-75) separating the 2, and Jeopardy 3 although a distant third.

#4 by my count is WML?  as it was on in some form for 25 straight years  (1950-1975). #5 then is TTTT, which was on in some form for 22 years in first run.

Magic number six then has to be Concentration at 20 straight years. This will change in the fall.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

cyclone45

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 10:11:09 AM »
Summer reruns count, I'm just looking for the longest running game shows by consecutive seasons with summer breaks.

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 06:23:18 PM »
Ip
#4 by my count is WML?  as it was on in some form for 25 straight years  (1950-1975). #5 then is TTTT, which was on in some form for 22 years in first run.

Isn't the issue with What's My Line?  Although it aired in 1967 and 1968 it was off the entire  67-68 TV season.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 01:17:00 AM »
Ip

Isn't the issue with What's My Line?  Although it aired in 1967 and 1968 it was off the entire  67-68 TV season.

Read what you just quoted again. I'm talking calendar years- which may or may not have been the intent of the OP now that I think about it, but I think you've gotta at least give the issue consideration because even though there was a gap between the last episode of the network WML and the first episode of the daily series, the show was on in some form in both 1967 and 1968. (Or not.)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 04:11:26 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

thomas_meighan

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 08:10:40 AM »
I've sometimes thought about what constitutes a "continuous run" as it applies to game shows, and the rule I use for myself is that a show "resets" after 12 months or so of no new episodes.

So that means "Concentration" had a continuous run from 1958-78, in spite of changing production companies (which it actually did twice, come to think of it -- B&E to NBC in '58, NBC to G-T in '73). Likewise, "Truth or Consequences" from 1954-65 and "Pyramid" from 1973-81 would count as continuous runs in my book, since there was never a 12-month gap between new episodes.

The syndicated revivals of WML?, TTTT, et al. in the 1960s count as new runs because they went a year without new shows. Of course that leaves us with really borderline cases like "Battlestars", with 49 weeks separating the first and second versions, but that one isn't likely to make any longest-running lists!

(I also recognize that the syndicated "Truth or Consequences" debuted about 51 weeks after the network run ended, but I tend to count it as a separate run, given how close it is and the fact that not all markets necessarily starting running it on the same day.)