Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC Spits Out The Chew...  (Read 3290 times)

TimK2003

ABC Spits Out The Chew...
« on: May 23, 2018, 09:31:46 PM »
Former game show host Gordon Elliott has been given the pink slip at ABC, and his creation, "The Chew", will end in September.

Unfortunately, none of the game shows that are in ABC's primetime stable are slated to be given a shot at daytime.  Instead, GMA will add a 3rd hour to their franchise in the afternoon  (isn't that what The Chew replaced???).

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:11:35 AM by TimK2003 »

Jimmy Owen

Re: ABC Spits Out The Chew...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 09:45:44 PM »
Michael Strahan gets another hour?  Wish it was Pyramid at 1pm
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DoItRockapella

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 09:48:02 PM »
(isn't that what The Chew replaced???).

Nope - The Chew replaced All My Children. An afternoon edition of GMA was tried in 2012 as a replacement for "The Revolution" (which had replaced One Life To Live), but only lasted a few months.

I'll be optimistic and say maybe "Good Afternoon America" (or whatever they end up calling it) will flop and ABC will try a game show in that slot at some point in 2019?

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 09:53:42 PM »
Part of me would love to see, at the very least, daytime reruns of their games. I'd think that they have a couple dozen episodes of Pyramid, Match Game, or TTTT, and could switch between the three every few weeks.

I'd also think it would save a little money, but maybe not.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 11:18:16 PM »
Part of me would love to see, at the very least, daytime reruns of their games. I'd think that they have a couple dozen episodes of Pyramid, Match Game, or TTTT, and could switch between the three every few weeks.

Michael Strahan gets another hour?  Wish it was Pyramid at 1pm

Personally, I think "Pyramid" would be the most "daytime-ready" of all the games ABC's rebooted over the past few years. I guess my opinion may be tainted based on the type of material vs. MG or TTTT; both of those shows (and especially "Gong") would have to be tamed a lot more for daytime than "Pyramid".

....As for "The Chew", it's probably a bit of a miracle that it managed to make it, let alone survive, on a major network. I could see it resurfacing on cable......and not necessarily on Food Network.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 12:45:05 AM »
Instead, GMA will add a 4th hour to their franchise in the afternoon  (isn't that what The Chew replaced???).

The Chew replaced All My Children after it ended. Good Afternoon America replaced The Revolution after it flopped at 2pm.

BTW, GMA is only on for 2 hours now (7-9am in the East), so it's a 3rd hour, not a 4th.

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 07:53:51 AM »
Nope - The Chew replaced All My Children. An afternoon edition of GMA was tried in 2012 as a replacement for "The Revolution" (which had replaced One Life To Live), but only lasted a few months.

I'll be optimistic and say maybe "Good Afternoon America" (or whatever they end up calling it) will flop and ABC will try a game show in that slot at some point in 2019?

"Good Afternoon America" was intended to be only temporary from the start - it was on for 9 weeks after "The Revolution" flopped. ABC was optimistic about perhaps bringing it back in the future....Although "the future" took only 6 years. :)

If "Good Afternoon America" is not ready come September, I wouldn't mind some of their "Fun and Games" shows plugged into the 1-2pm slot temporarily..

oaklandfan2kx

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 02:20:43 PM »
Wishing that Wheel of Fortune needs a Revival on ABC Daytime despite the syndicated version airs on Many ABC Stations at Night.

TimK2003

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 07:46:28 PM »

Personally, I think "Pyramid" would be the most "daytime-ready" of all the games ABC's rebooted over the past few years.

Could've made for an interesting scenario in some markets (like my market) if Pyramid (etal...) replaced The Chew, as it could've been in direct competition with LMAD .  And when was the last time we had two network daytime game shows opposing each other -- especially in the afternoon?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 08:25:33 PM »
I'd rather see Password and Split Second, but that's just me.
Travis L. Eberle

Stackertosh

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 10:17:27 PM »
I hated The Chew, Michael Symon laugh is annoying.