Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid judging question  (Read 1632 times)

James

Pyramid judging question
« on: May 22, 2018, 10:18:10 AM »
Hello...I am running a Pyramid game at work on Friday and have a question for this esteemed group (hopefully flattery will get me some where).  One of my Winners Circle categories is THINGS THAT BALANCE.  Justice's Scales and Your Checkbook aside, #ding or #buzz for this:

A (gymnastics) beam walker  or  a high rise beam walker or some variation thereof.

Any dings or buzzes provided would be appreciated.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Re: Pyramid judging question
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 10:39:54 AM »
Ding.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 11:48:26 AM »
Do they do the thing in question? Is the clue overly descriptive? There y’are.
Travis L. Eberle

BillCullen1

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 12:42:16 PM »
If the category reads "Things that balance" the gymnastics beam walker gets a ding.

If the category reads "Things you balance" then it's a buzz.

There's my $0.02 

Denials

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 07:10:02 PM »
Perhaps I'm being overly pedantic, but I would argue that if you're going for "your checkbook" as a clue that fits the category, it might be more appropriate to have the category be "THINGS THAT ARE BALANCED".  A checkbook is balanced by a person rather than balancing by itself.  I suppose you could argue that once it's been balanced by the person that it does indeed balance, so perhaps "a well-kept checkbook" would be a better clue than just "a checkbook" if you're going for things that balance.  Another item that might fit under "balanced" but not "balance" would be "a healthy breakfast" (thinking of all the old cereal commercials).  You  might avoid a tricky issue by making the simple change.

Otm Shank

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 11:32:19 PM »
I agree that THINGS THAT ARE BALANCED is the better phrasing. "Balance" is somewhat of an active property -- people balance, but things are balanced.

Your acceptable clues are justice's scales ("scales of justice" I would accept, since it is an actual name like "mother of pearl"), a gymnastics beam walker, a checkbook, "the books", your newly mounted tires, yin and yang, etc.

That turn of phrase could allow "a gymnast's beam".

Your do-not-accept list would be your credit card transfer, your equilibrium, your remaining funds, terms that describe the act of balancing ("weighing" etc.).

The keyword would, of course, be BALANCE.