Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Quick Art Fleming J! question  (Read 1978 times)

SuperMatch93

Quick Art Fleming J! question
« on: May 15, 2018, 06:36:52 PM »
To anyone who remembers when Art Fleming hosted Jeopardy:

Was the term "true daily double" for betting it all used at that time, or did it only come into vogue in the current run?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

alfonzos

Re: Quick Art Fleming J! question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 08:54:18 PM »
If memory serves, Fleming referred to situations where a player went all in, "A true daily double."
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Kevin Prather

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 10:38:49 PM »
I'm sure I'm the only person who doesn't know this, but was there originally only one Daily Double, hence the name?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 10:44:14 PM »
I'm sure I'm the only person who doesn't know this, but was there originally only one Daily Double, hence the name?
It was inspired by horse racing where typically there's a pair of races back-to-back where if you can pick both winners you win a larger prize. If it's a long race day (perhaps with ten events) there will be an early and a late double.

Since the game show as we know it existed in three rounds, the Jeopardy round with one double, and Double Jeopardy with two.

(EDIT: You would put down "$2 on the early double, 3 and 7," before the start of the first race of the two. )
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:57:01 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

trainman

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 10:48:42 PM »
Supposedly, during the development stage, NBC mildly objected to the use of "Daily Double" due to its obvious association with real-world gambling, but nobody could think of a better term.
trainman is a man of trains

mmb5

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 08:08:50 PM »
In the test episode that Paley has, the Daily Double was a second question you received after you answered the first question.  You did not know it was a Daily Double until you answered correctly.  This was more in line with its name, since you got a second or double question.  No idea if the early episodes did that as well or something that was thrown out before air.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.