Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Classic  (Read 11241 times)

zachhoran

GSN Classic
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2004, 10:29:00 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 10:15 AM\']
GSN will probably never totally abandon the old shows.

I would suspect if this experiment fails, that you would see more old shows taking their place.

GSN thinks they are giving us what we want to see.

Interesting to see how this turns out. [/quote]
 ANother thought: When does the license to air G-T shows expire? I have to wonder if they'll just renew the rights for Feud and Match Game when it does expire. My guess is the license to air WLOD has expired, and since it just was never a huge success, they didn't bother to renew it or get the rest of the run.

CaseyAbell

GSN Classic
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2004, 10:48:04 AM »
If the WLoD license has expired, GSN better have a good lawyer. It's on the schedule for the next month and a half.

zachhoran

GSN Classic
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2004, 10:52:18 AM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 10:48 AM\'] If the WLoD license has expired, GSN better have a good lawyer. It's on the schedule for the next month and a half. [/quote]
 Maybe it expires in April, as that will be two years since it premiered. Maybe they're just taking it off a month early to enhance their schedule...

CaseyAbell

GSN Classic
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2004, 11:04:42 AM »
If a lot of licenses for old shows expire in April, I don't see how GSN can avoid renewing them, with the obvious exception of WLoD. Their March 15 schedule is dominated by old game shows. No way they can fill all those hours if they let a bunch of licenses expire.

I've seen some promos for the upcoming Valentine's Day LC marthon. GSN has clearly licensed some eps besides the 1991-92 episodes they've ground into dust. (Funny to see Chuck with longer hair. Looks like the old WoF days.) I don't know if this is a one-time license or if GSN will put those different episodes into their regular rotation.

cmjb13

GSN Classic
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2004, 11:10:04 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 10:29 AM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 10:15 AM\']
GSN will probably never totally abandon the old shows.

I would suspect if this experiment fails, that you would see more old shows taking their place.

GSN thinks they are giving us what we want to see.

ANother thought: When does the license to air G-T shows expire? I have to wonder if they'll just renew the rights for Feud and Match Game when it does expire. My guess is the license to air WLOD has expired, and since it just was never a huge success, they didn't bother to renew it or get the rest of the run. [/quote]
 IIRC, per the professor the G-T renewal was May 2003.

How long it was for is unknown.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

zachhoran

GSN Classic
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2004, 11:13:44 AM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 11:04 AM\'] If a lot of licenses for old shows expire in April, I don't see how GSN can avoid renewing them, with the obvious exception of WLoD. Their March 15 schedule is dominated by old game shows. No way they can fill all those hours if they let a bunch of licenses expire.

I've seen some promos for the upcoming Valentine's Day LC marthon. GSN has clearly licensed some eps besides the 1991-92 episodes they've ground into dust. (Funny to see Chuck with longer hair. Looks like the old WoF days.) I don't know if this is a one-time license or if GSN will put those different episodes into their regular rotation. [/quote]
 I'm just speculating WLOD's license may lapse and they aren't renewing it. It wouldn't be the first time GSN let a show's license lapse if true, they did not renew TPIR in April 2000 when its license ran out. ANd back in 1997 in their early, freewheeling days before they were in many homes, they let the license for the other Goodson-Todman shows lapse, not renewing it for six months(which is where the term Dark Period came about)

As far as LC, all 11 years of the show are available to show as reruns. Since those episodes in the promo look to be from the 80s, there will be end of show fee plugs either cut out or become a victim to split screen credits. The 80s LC featured Rod Roddy and Gene Wood early on, and later Johnny Gilbert as the announcer. John Cervanka AKA Burt Luddin became the announcer in 1989, and was there through the show's end in 1994. John returned for the first half of the 1998-99 season's remake of LC, and his brother (I think his name is Jay) did the second half of that run.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN Classic
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2004, 11:16:11 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 08:15 AM\'] GSN thinks they are giving us what we want to see.

Not quite. The more appropriate statement would be "GSN is giving us what they think people will watch." They know DAMN well what WE want to see. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

CaseyAbell

GSN Classic
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2004, 11:58:20 AM »
GSN now holds the license to ALL the Love Connection eps? I thought they just picked up a batch of the 1991-92 shows.

It's a guilty pleasure of mine, so I wouldn't mind seeing some of the 1980s episodes.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
GSN Classic
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2004, 12:17:40 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 10:58 AM\'] GSN now holds the license to ALL the Love Connection eps? I thought they just picked up a batch of the 1991-92 shows.

It's a guilty pleasure of mine, so I wouldn't mind seeing some of the 1980s episodes. [/quote]
 GSN may or may not have the license to show all 11 years (it could be just five years, for all we know--unless someone's made a phone call to Culver City for confirmation).  But what we do know is that there will be a marathon of "previously unseen on GSN" eps of LC on Valentine's Day.  Whether that translates to showing these episodes during the regular schedule remains to be seen.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

PeterMarshallFan

GSN Classic
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2004, 03:20:23 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 12:16 PM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 08:15 AM\'] GSN thinks they are giving us what we want to see.

Not quite. The more appropriate statement would be "GSN is giving us what they think people will watch." They know DAMN well what WE want to see. :) [/quote]
 Did you miss the last-minute special last night, Chris? If you did, I'll send you a DVD of it. It was "The Best of Hollywood Connection." :-)

On a more serious note, it seems that Games Across America is already in reruns.

CaseyAbell

GSN Classic
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2004, 03:26:35 PM »
FWIW the Adlink schedule for March 15 doesn't seem to leave room for the Games Across America interstitials. Don't know if they're going away, or if the schedule is wrong, or if GSN will somehow shoehorn them in.

Gotta admit, I liked the cow chip bingo silliness. Anticipation of defecation.

PeterMarshallFan

GSN Classic
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2004, 03:51:40 PM »
I thought Games Across America was boring....I mean, who really cares about a Rock-Paper-Scissors championship? A wife carrying contest? Cow chip bingo? If I wanted to see ridiculous games, I'll watch the FCC probe into the Super Bowl incident. Also, the "generic" backdrop used for the in-studio segments was hideously ugly.

I'd like to enjoy my Match Game PM in its normal timeslot, thank you.

CaseyAbell

GSN Classic
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2004, 08:20:55 PM »
Boredom is in the yawn of the beholder. I like the off-beat goofiness of Games Across America. Helps to spice up the same old, same old of the current GSN schedule.

Thad Dixon

GSN Classic
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2004, 09:17:07 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 12:17 PM\']But what we do know is that there will be a marathon of "previously unseen on GSN" eps of LC on Valentine's Day.  Whether that translates to showing these episodes during the regular schedule remains to be seen.[/quote]
I can think of one thing that does translate to, though:  With Valentine's Day on a Saturday this year, and with the marathon running from 9am-4am ET.....we're gonna have to miss one of Liz & Pat's appearances on Blockbusters due to this marathon!  Come on, GSN, RECONSIDER!  We PLANNED to see ALL of Liz & Pat's reign on Blockbusters and get ALL of it into our tape collections, you MUST LET US!  Let us have our Blockbusters that weekend and make this Love Connection marathon WAIT 'TIL AFTER we've seen the last of Liz & Pat on Blockbusters!  I don't care what your advertisers will say and I DON'T WANT TO CARE!  When are you gonna get it through those thick skulls of yours that you are required by our principles to listen to US NOT BENJAMINS!?!?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 09:59:10 PM by Matt Ottinger »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN Classic
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2004, 09:20:40 PM »
Wow.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 09:21:16 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe