Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Classic  (Read 11637 times)

AmazingErikZ

GSN Classic
« on: February 01, 2004, 04:07:00 PM »
What I mean by this is, sinceGSN is the way it is today, with mostly newer shows and recent reruns, shouldn't they create a sister network for GSN devoted to classic game shows?

I mean, since Cartoon Network has Boomerang and Nickelodeon has TV Land, why can't GSN do the same?

Considering starting in March, there won't be anymore Family Feud reruns in the daily 5-5:30 slot. Plus, who knows what'll happen with the daily 6:30 Match Game in the near future.

I would certainly want a GSN Classic channel. It would be fantastic to see more of the classics again. What do you all think?

Kevin Prather

GSN Classic
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 04:10:10 PM »
Good LORD, great minds think alike. I posted the same idea what couldn't be more than thirty seconds after you!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN Classic
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 04:10:25 PM »
[quote name=\'AmazingErikZ\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 02:07 PM\'] What I mean by this is, sinceGSN is the way it is today, with mostly newer shows and recent reruns, shouldn't they create a sister network for GSN devoted to classic game shows?

I mean, since Cartoon Network has Boomerang and Nickelodeon has TV Land, why can't GSN do the same?

Considering starting in March, there won't be anymore Family Feud reruns in the daily 5-5:30 slot. Plus, who knows what'll happen with the daily 6:30 Match Game in the near future.

I would certainly want a GSN Classic channel. It would be fantastic to see more of the classics again. What do you all think? [/quote]
 And you clearly haven't been reading this board, because we've rehashed this topic about 400 times with the same conclusion: Love to see it, not gonna happen.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

GSN Classic
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004, 04:11:58 PM »
I guess I'll rephrase my comment. Great minds think alike...and so do ours!

Incidentally, has it been confirmed that it won't happen?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2004, 04:12:52 PM by whoserman »

Chelsea Thrasher

GSN Classic
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 04:37:02 PM »
[quote name=\'AmazingErikZ\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 03:07 PM\'] Considering starting in March, there won't be anymore Family Feud reruns in the daily 5-5:30 slot. [/quote]
 Horse hockey (which is a really amusing sport, if you've never seen it).  Quick look at the schedule on Adlink shows that the Feud/Feud/Pyramid/MG block is held completely intact once again (That block, despite all the other sched changes, has been held in THAT formation in THOSe slots since May 2001, IIRC.  That's 3 years with those 4 shows in those slots.)

Anyway, as much as I'd love a GSN Classics channel, it won't happen.  Why? Because TV Networks hate us, and program their entire existences around making us upset.  (And, since a growing number of people can't tell the difference, YES, that was sarcasm.  I just love it when I have to explain sarcasm to folks)

tommycharles

GSN Classic
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 07:14:43 PM »
Erm...it didn't work for the last 9 years which is why they're changing it now...

Chelsea Thrasher

GSN Classic
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2004, 07:30:23 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 06:14 PM\'] Erm...it didn't work for the last 9 years which is why they're changing it now... [/quote]
 Didn't work?

GSN has now been in the black for, depending on whose info you go by, for either the last 2, or the last 3, financial years.  Ratings now, are back even with their peaks (which were incurred when GSN tried to go heavy-handed on Originals, and their subsequent reruns).  The network, as a whole, is the strongest it's been since Late 2002/Early 2003, right before they started messing with what works.  

Why they're changing it now, I don't know.

GS Warehouse

GSN Classic
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2004, 10:03:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 04:37 PM\'] Anyway, as much as I'd love a GSN Classics channel, it won't happen.  Why? Because TV Networks hate us, and program their entire existences around making us upset.  (And, since a growing number of people can't tell the difference, YES, that was sarcasm.  I just love it when I have to explain sarcasm to folks) [/quote]
I can't see a GSN Classics channel either, but I disagree with the reasoning.  In reality, contrary to popular belief, programmers do not really want to watch the programs--they want us to watch the commercials so we can buy the products so advertisers can give them the money it takes to survive.

Horse hockey?  I see a future edition to Games Across America in the making.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2004, 10:04:36 PM by GS Warehouse »

Chelsea Thrasher

GSN Classic
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 12:04:25 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 09:03 PM\'] [quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 04:37 PM\'] Anyway, as much as I'd love a GSN Classics channel, it won't happen.  Why? Because TV Networks hate us, and program their entire existences around making us upset.  (And, since a growing number of people can't tell the difference, YES, that was sarcasm.  I just love it when I have to explain sarcasm to folks) [/quote]
I can't see a GSN Classics channel either, but I disagree with the reasoning.  In reality, contrary to popular belief, programmers do not really want to watch the programs--they want us to watch the commercials so we can buy the products so advertisers can give them the money it takes to survive.

Horse hockey?  I see a future edition to Games Across America in the making. [/quote]
 Of course, therein lies a logic of reasoning that networks REALLY should listen to their viewers DIRECTLY, when possible, rather than advertisers, focus groups, etc.  Cause, at the end of the day, we're the one buyign the products. SO, if we're not watching, who is?  These make believe people that the advertisers and Mr. Nielsen convince networks exist?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
GSN Classic
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2004, 01:02:19 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 04:10 PM\'] And you clearly haven't been reading this board, because we've rehashed this topic about 400 times with the same conclusion: Love to see it, not gonna happen. [/quote]
 Although, we'd all love to be proven wrong. :)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

GSN Classic
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2004, 01:43:03 AM »
I wonder why no one has come up with a game show that quizzes folks on the recall of commercials? Something like "You just saw eight commercials.  In the fourth commercial, what famous landmark did the lady in the Rascal visit?" The commercials would be part of the program.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN Classic
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2004, 02:33:51 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 02:11 PM\'] I guess I'll rephrase my comment. Great minds think alike...and so do ours!

Incidentally, has it been confirmed that it won't happen? [/quote]
 No. It also hasn't been confirmed that Bob Hope has risen from the dead. Give it UP.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

GSN Classic
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2004, 08:53:40 AM »
I wonder why no one has come up with a game show that quizzes folks on the recall of commercials? Something like "You just saw eight commercials. In the fourth commercial, what famous landmark did the lady in the Rascal visit?" The commercials would be part of the program.

Personally, I'd like to see a cable channel devoted to 24 hours of commercials - and have all the commercials move to that channel because the number on regular TV now is getting to be annoyingly WAY too much.

OK, I'll wake up from my dream now...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

CaseyAbell

GSN Classic
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2004, 09:28:47 AM »
We already have such a network. It's called GSN.

Taken a peek at the schedule lately? It's almost all old game shows, often REAL old game shows. The GSN Originals board doesn't have a thing to talk about right now except Stacey.

Things get slightly less decrepit on March 15, but old game shows still dominate the schedule.

Funny thing, the old shows still have some ratings life in them, if the January numbers are to be believed. Will GSN bail out of the non-traditional stuff if the household numbers go south?

cmjb13

GSN Classic
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2004, 10:15:05 AM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 09:28 AM\'] We already have such a network. It's called GSN.

Taken a peek at the schedule lately? It's almost all old game shows, often REAL old game shows. The GSN Originals board doesn't have a thing to talk about right now except Stacey.

Things get slightly less decrepit on March 15, but old game shows still dominate the schedule.

Funny thing, the old shows still have some ratings life in them, if the January numbers are to be believed. Will GSN bail out of the non-traditional stuff if the household numbers go south? [/quote]
 GSN will probably never totally abandon the old shows.

I would suspect if this experiment fails, that you would see more old shows taking their place.

GSN thinks they are giving us what we want to see.

Interesting to see how this turns out.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS