Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Press Your Luck" question  (Read 6934 times)

Mr. Brown

"Press Your Luck" question
« on: April 01, 2018, 04:23:26 PM »
While I know the questions on PYL are incredibly easy and made so contestants will actually get to play the interesting part of the game, was there ever an episode where nobody earned any spins in either round? Does anybody know what the show's bible/official rules says about that?
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

trainman

Re: "Press Your Luck" question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 06:25:22 PM »
Does anybody know what the show's bible/official rules says about that?

Stop tape and call someone in with an EEG machine to check the contestants for brain activity?
trainman is a man of trains

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 06:47:52 PM »
While I know the questions on PYL are incredibly easy and made so contestants will actually get to play the interesting part of the game, was there ever an episode where nobody earned any spins in either round? Does anybody know what the show's bible/official rules says about that?

No, because they had a special "idiot question" they would go to for the fourth question in a round if it was decided in the booth that not enough spins had been awarded with the first three for their liking. I'm guessing if THAT even failed them (and I doubt it ever did), they would toss the entire question round out and play another one.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SamJ93

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 07:16:02 PM »
No, because they had a special "idiot question" they would go to for the fourth question in a round if it was decided in the booth that not enough spins had been awarded with the first three for their liking. I'm guessing if THAT even failed them (and I doubt it ever did), they would toss the entire question round out and play another one.

Is there a reason why they couldn't just redo the last question in that case? I know I would be pretty pissed if I were to rack up a big amount of spins, only to have to do it all over again just because one of my opponents is a moron...
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 09:04:20 PM »
Back when GSN first started running the earliest episodes, wasn't there a discussion about how they'd tossed a whole show at some point over something like there not being enough spins?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 09:06:52 PM »
Is there a reason why they couldn't just redo the last question in that case? I know I would be pretty pissed if I were to rack up a big amount of spins, only to have to do it all over again just because one of my opponents is a moron...

Ostensibly if someone racked up a bunch of spins, there would be no need for the moron question.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 09:41:19 PM »
I've been trying to find the episode where the contestants only earned 1 spin apiece in round 2 to see if this jives with the official rules...but the only scenarios covered in the bible were the alternate questions in spots 3 and 4 (in either or both question rounds), and that they would stop tape and play a new round if nobody scored a spin in the first three questions of a round.

I assume if they did the show today, they would write in similar "do over" rules for any low spin count, regardless of how it happened.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

SamJ93

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 10:09:16 PM »

Ostensibly if someone racked up a bunch of spins, there would be no need for the moron question.

Upon closer reading of the OP's question, I realize that he was asking if there was an episode in which nobody earned a spin for the round, so yes, you're correct in that instance. But given I can't recall an instance in which a single contestant sat out a round due to not earning any spins, I have to wonder if they didn't edit out a boffed 4th question at least once at some point....
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 10:20:59 PM »
I can't recall an instance in which a single contestant sat out a round due to not earning any spins

In round 1 of the below episode:

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 11:33:38 PM »
A search for the phrase "flood of Whammys" will link to a previous post that discusses this idea as well as an exerpt from the rules bible that goes over how to deal with those eventualities.
Travis L. Eberle

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 04:43:21 AM »
A search for the phrase "flood of Whammys" will link to a previous post that discusses this idea as well as an exerpt from the rules bible that goes over how to deal with those eventualities.

Here's a direct link, to save folks from having to jump through hoops.

mxc0427

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 10:44:17 AM »

Here's a direct link, to save folks from having to jump through hoops.

You're the real MVP.

tyshaun1

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 12:54:11 PM »
I've been trying to find the episode where the contestants only earned 1 spin apiece in round 2 to see if this jives with the official rules...but the only scenarios covered in the bible were the alternate questions in spots 3 and 4 (in either or both question rounds), and that they would stop tape and play a new round if nobody scored a spin in the first three questions of a round.

I assume if they did the show today, they would write in similar "do over" rules for any low spin count, regardless of how it happened.

-Jason

Here you go. There was also a situation where the players earned a grand total of 2 spins for Round 2, but according to the end of show disclaimer, the episode ran way too short, so they re-taped the 2nd part of the game.

Tyshaun

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 11:13:37 PM »
Wasn't there another episode last week where they ran into the same problem?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Otm Shank

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 02:02:48 AM »
The episode with the mulligan round:

https://youtu.be/r9umJAZZcc0?t=21m56s

"Round Two failed to generate an adequate number of spins to provide for a full length program. Monies were awarded and Round Two was re-taped with the consent of the three contestants."