Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows Without Home Box Games  (Read 11103 times)

Fedya

Re: Game Shows Without Home Box Games
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2018, 08:13:45 AM »
If they could come up with a board with holes for Stay Alive, they could come up with a board for Russian Roulette.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

tidefan12

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2018, 05:44:42 PM »
I don't recall a Couch Potatoes or a Wipeout (1988) home game.

Wasn’t Couch Potatoes based on a board game?

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2018, 09:52:12 PM »
Scrabble was based on a board game, but that didn't stop them from making a home game version.

Marc412

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2018, 10:58:06 PM »
Scrabble was based on a board game, but that didn't stop them from making a home game version.
Ditto for Trivial Pursuit

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2018, 08:09:51 AM »
Another one I'm surprised never got any sort of official game- Win Ben Stein's Money. It's just general knowledge questions and some 10-question cards for the endgame.

Considering when the show aired and the fact that the humor was in the same vein as You Don't Know Jack, it seems like a total miss that Jellyvision never got their hands on it to make a PC version.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2018, 09:05:35 AM »
FWIW, it wasn’t a home game, but I do remember there being an online mini-game called “Win Ben Stein’s Cyber-Money”.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Bob Zager

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2018, 11:08:28 AM »
Russian Roulette---Another two season show, but maybe a little harder to replicate for a box game.
Friend or Foe, for that matter. Because MY GAWD would that be a dreadful box game. (Which, you know, follows.)

I recall once seeing what was at least a prototype board game version of a foreign edition of "Who's Still Standing," which had a similar setup to GSN's Russian Roulette.

GSN, at one time, had a joke promo commercial for a box game based on Friend or Foe, but included captioning and voice recording stating that the board game did not exist!

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2018, 11:26:39 AM »
When discussing how a Stein game could be done, Matt O. came up with a dandy suggestion. In the second round, have a large die with Ben's face on 3 of the sides. The MC asks the question, the two contestants duke it out to answer first. After one of them answers, the die is tossed. If "Ben" appears, he supposedly "beat" you to answering. If blank, you beat Ben. Neat how the die element after a contestant answers creates the emotional "sting" of having known the answer, only to have Ben keep you from getting the money. Thought that was pretty novel. Now, Bob - did GSN look in my window? I did make a Friend Or Foe box game sitting right by me here. Used question cards from Millionaire, made shields to act as the booths, and prepared a cardboard table for the showdowns. As we've said before, many of these could be done, but since so many of these shows mentioned were either syndicated or on cable nets, these shows would need pretty massive ratings and buzz to interest a company in spending the bucks to make them. I liked to build them for the challenge and because I obviously had way too much free time on my hands.

gamed121683

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2018, 12:04:08 PM »
I don't recall a Couch Potatoes or a Wipeout (1988) home game.

Wasn’t Couch Potatoes based on a board game?

I always thought it was inspired by MTV's Remote Control.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2018, 09:07:31 PM »
Considering when the show aired and the fact that the humor was in the same vein as You Don't Know Jack, it seems like a total miss that Jellyvision never got their hands on it to make a PC version.

Why pay for the IP? They had a brand they already owned that used very similar material and was doing just fine.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:26:54 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2018, 09:16:58 PM »
And the original article was light-years better than the television show.
Travis L. Eberle