Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows Without Home Box Games  (Read 11090 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Game Shows Without Home Box Games
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 01:35:08 PM »
Some of these games don't seem like they could feasibly be adapted to play at home. How exactly would you do Bullseye, other than wheels?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 02:49:34 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 01:56:12 PM »
Treasure Hunt’s format and setup were not home game friendly. Not surprised it didnt get one.

Other Geoff Edwards shows that didn't get a home version were Play the Percentages and Shoot For The Stars. The latter wasn't on long enough.
FWIW, they both ran for about 9 months so...

PYL didn’t have a box game, just the PC version. The changing slides would’ve made that a little complex, although I imagine you could’ve arranged 18 cards around a plastic board, then use a spinner to help you determine which card to pull.

But that sounds anticlimactic.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 02:20:17 PM »
FWIW, they both ran for about 9 months so...

PYL didn’t have a box game, just the PC version. The changing slides would’ve made that a little complex, although I imagine you could’ve arranged 18 cards around a plastic board, then use a spinner to help you determine which card to pull.

But that sounds anticlimactic.
Endless Games came very, very close to releasing a "Press Your Luck" home game about 15 years ago. And when I say very, very close, I mean I have the prototype copy in my bookcase. If you're coming to Las Vegas again this year, remind me to bring it.

For those who have mentioned "Gambit," a while back, I made a homebrewed Gambit home game to keep myself occupied during an unemployment spell. Enjoy.

SamJ93

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 02:21:35 PM »
Some of these games don't seem like they could feasibly be adapted to play at home. How exactly would you do Bullseye, oghr8than wheels?

I imagine it would be similar to how the Joker's Wild home games did it with cards, although the shuffling after every turn would get tedious.

How about Legends Of The Hidden Temple? It was arguably Nick's 2nd-biggest-hit game show after Double Date and never had any sort of home version to my knowledge...would've been difficult to adapt, granted, but they somehow managed to pull off a Finders Keepers home game...
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 02:25:28 PM »
How about Legends Of The Hidden Temple?
They were a little slow, but they got around to it. It's okay but not great.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 03:55:37 PM »
PYL didn’t have a box game, just the PC version. The changing slides would’ve made that a little complex,

Complete chrome. Everything that happens on the gameboard was designed to produce a random result. (Well, that was the aim, anyhow.) With Endless behind it, I'm guessing there was a deck of cards. Draw a card. If it's a prize, put it in front of you. Anything else, add to your score (or wipe your score, if Whammy) and stick card back in deck, or not.

If it's mine to do I figure out some combination of 108 cards (with a few duplicates of each space) and players just keep each card they pull, and discard their stack when they pull a Whammy (which they then keep in front of them for their Whammy counter). A second sheet of 108 cards is double-sided and has one question on each side. Boom, 27 games worth of content, your entire components cost is two card sheets. (Hell, it's Endless, drop it to 100 cards (25 games) and put the rules on the other 8.) Print it up, toss it in a box, sell for $20 (because a Tomarkenite will absolutely pay it).
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 04:10:54 PM »
Thank you for the reminder--game night is this Friday and I want to bring Incan Gold.

"Whammies. Why'd it have to be Whammies?"
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 04:29:22 PM »
Super Password immediately came to mind for me since MB cranked out Password sets regularly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE0ixXtZyRY
Ah. By box game I meant board game- I played the Super Password computer game ad nauseam, so I’m very familiar with this!
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2018, 04:37:49 PM »
If it's mine to do I figure out some combination of 108 cards (with a few duplicates of each space) and players just keep each card they pull, and discard their stack when they pull a Whammy (which they then keep in front of them for their Whammy counter). A second sheet of 108 cards is double-sided and has one question on each side. Boom, 27 games worth of content, your entire components cost is two card sheets. (Hell, it's Endless, drop it to 100 cards (25 games) and put the rules on the other 8.) Print it up, toss it in a box, sell for $20 (because a Tomarkenite will absolutely pay it).
I like this a lot better than my (modified) idea. Instead of the plastic board (was thinking of Feud's home game), simply arrange everything like a smaller Monopoly board. Place stacks of 3 or 4 cards on each space as you would Community Chest or Chance, and go from there. With a prize, just swap out.

But, your idea keeps things a lot more simple. The more I think about it, the more surprised I am that a game wasn't released (other than the prototype Adam mentioned).

/Yes, bring it to Vegas, por favor
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2018, 04:50:08 PM »
Ah. By box game I meant board game- I played the Super Password computer game ad nauseam, so I’m very familiar with this!

Sure, I figured as much.

To me, the biggest, most high-profile games that should have had a home game but didn't were Tattletales and Card Sharks.  Card Sharks was an absolute no-brainer, and it's amazing to me that we didn't get one until the Endless Games version so many years after the fact.  As has been mentioned elsewhere, Tattletales came close.  That one makes a little less sense in a home environment (you don't usually have exactly and specifically three couples around to play), but the logic of playing a game at home was never a high priority to the manufacturer.  Still, both of them being G-T games, and with the success of so many other shows of theirs on the home market, it just seems as though they would have made that effort.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

gamed121683

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 07:20:55 PM »
I don't recall a Couch Potatoes or a Wipeout (1988) home game. Then again, they were both one season wonders. I don't recall a home version of Lingo, either.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 07:54:01 PM »
There's a home version of Lingo with a modified form of play. Actually, I made several of these games that were mentioned already. With Bullseye, I just duplicated the design of the game board and used three spinners. Top left wheel had categories 1, 2, and 3 with various money amounts, right wheel had categories 4, 5, and 6. Bottom spinner had contract numbers and a bullseye. Used Trivial Pursuit cards. The categories stayed permanent. MB could have released a dirt-cheap to make BULLSEYE by just re-arranging the same format they used for Joker's Wild - two slots with category cards in a top row, a lower centered card holding slot for the contract numbers. Used an old clear Concentration board for Shoot For The Stars and wrote my own clues. Gambit was a piece of cake. I also turned PYL into two variation games - a card game w/o questions, and a dice game with questions. Also worked on a board version with a multi-sided die, but gave up on it after a while. Could be done, tho. Use the edges of a CONCENTRATION board and make up small cards with cash amounts, prizes, and whammies to place in the slots. Use one marker, roll the die, land on a space, take the card, replace it with a new card from a face-down pool.  Dan Enright sent questions from Play The Percentages, so I made a model of version 1. So it's not that the games are hard to make - it's just the same problem every company deals with when they have a project - can it make us good money? And will the shows stay on the air long enough to promote the product when it hits the shelves?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:05:35 PM by The Ol' Guy »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2018, 09:10:50 PM »
There's a home version of Lingo with a modified form of play.

To be fair, Lingo is just Jotto with a modified form of play. ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2018, 10:23:20 PM »
Sure 'nuff, Chris. Jotto's a high school memory and there's a copy buried somewhere around here. And do you remember Word Mastermind? Good ideas always come back around somehow. :-) I added a few of those fuzzy image home copies to my old photobucket page for anyone interested.  http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z388/tvgameRog/?albumview=slideshow 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 11:12:07 PM by The Ol' Guy »

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2018, 10:49:13 PM »
Celebrity Sweepstakes never had a home game, did it?
Going waaay back, I don't think I've ever seen / heard mention of The Name's The Same getting a board game either.