Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 70s Tattletales Question  (Read 6226 times)

chrisholland03

70s Tattletales Question
« on: March 24, 2018, 10:08:06 AM »
I've noticed (for the first time) that the late 74/early 75 episodes of Tattletales semi-regularly swap couples mid-week. 

Example would be week of Nov 7th

Monday-Wednesday are Rona Barrett, Dick Gautier, and Julie London/Bobby Troup
Thursday-Friday are Rona Barrett, McCall and Brill, and London/Troup

I've noticed several other examples of this - wondering if it's because a taping day went long and couples had other engagements, or if it was Watergate related?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: 70s Tattletales Question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 10:52:14 AM »
I've noticed (for the first time) that the late 74/early 75 episodes of Tattletales semi-regularly swap couples

Well, it was the '70s.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Bob Zager

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 10:55:49 AM »
Usually, on taping days, three episodes would be recorded, then a break in the production (partly to allow a new audience to enter and get situated), and two episodes would then be taped, making a full one week's worth of episodes.

In this particular case, maybe Dick Gautier and his then-wife Barbara Stuart, had to leave for some reason (like an illness, or stage performance somewhere else), and led Brill/McCall to come to the rescue.

The Watergate hearings DID cause delayed airings that would've led to what you had in mind (though I'm NOTruling that out), but I would almost count that out, since same couples rarely appeared over two consecutive weeks.

Late in the original series, and of course on the 80s version, they often relied on three different couples each day, which was okay, since the game did not have "returning champions."

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 11:17:45 AM »
I've noticed (for the first time) that the late 74/early 75 episodes of Tattletales semi-regularly swap couples
Well, it was the '70s.

POINTS!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 11:26:46 AM »
Well, it was the '70s.

POINTS!
What Matt said.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 11:53:06 AM »
and led Brill/McCall to come to the rescue.

I get the feeling that Brill and McCall spent a lot of time just hanging around Television City in case a game show needed them.

(Well, Brill anyhow. Mitzi actually had the occasional gig.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 02:38:13 PM »

I've noticed several other examples of this - wondering if it's because a taping day went long and couples had other engagements, or if it was Watergate related?

Well, seeming as how Nixon resigned in August 1974 and the committee ended in June 1974.... I think we can rule Watergate out in that time frame.

I agree with others, it was probably commitment related.

Neumms

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 07:11:10 PM »
Late in the original series, and of course on the 80s version, they often relied on three different couples each day, which was okay, since the game did not have "returning champions."

They did? I remember being stuck with 'em for a whole week.

ivoryman1986

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 07:47:16 PM »
According to the online guide, it said that Geoff Edwards appeared and Fred Rogers made an appearance but none of those 2 ever appeared. Apparently, I wish somebody has a more accurate episode or have weekly TV guide booklet Retro Gazettes for Tattletales for the 1976-78 range as well as from the May 17, 1983-June 1, 1984 range and when in 1983 did the "Places Please" intro begin and when in 1984 did G-T productions become MGP. With a few exceptions, the 1976-78 weekly guides are very inaccurate from the ones we see on YT. Now the May 1977 week with Gary Mule Deer, Suzanne Somers and Charles Nelson Reilly sounds correct but the weekly version never had episodes airing nationwide and they all had 1977 displayed dates in the end credits. I don't believe the 1978 portion of the original run ever have a year display in the end credits either. Maybe it's because GSN has only rerun very small portions of episodes from those 2 areas of episodes and the weekly PDFs were non-existed back then.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 09:31:21 AM »
Can anyone vouch for the accuracy of that guide? I find it very hard to believe that Mr. Rogers would appear on Tattletales with his wife, but that's just me.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 10:52:14 AM »
Can anyone vouch for the accuracy of that guide? I find it very hard to believe that Mr. Rogers would appear on Tattletales with his wife, but that's just me.

There is someone out there who has created what are essentially fictional episode guides.  We've talked about them before.  He seems to have included accurate information when it's known, but then fills up the blanks with whatever his fertile imagination can come up with.  Sadly, it's posted to look real, and then taken seriously by people who can't even imagine someone would waste his time doing that.  I can't say for certain that Tattletales is one of his, but given the presence of Fred Rogers, that's where the smart money would be.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 11:15:31 AM »
There is someone out there who has created what are essentially fictional episode guides.  We've talked about them before.  He seems to have included accurate information when it's known, but then fills up the blanks with whatever his fertile imagination can come up with.  Sadly, it's posted to look real, and then taken seriously by people who can't even imagine someone would waste his time doing that.  I can't say for certain that Tattletales is one of his, but given the presence of Fred Rogers, that's where the smart money would be.

Yeah those are the first thing that came to mind, I think they were on the IMDB forums.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

KrisW73

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 01:59:17 PM »
Well, it was the '70s.

POINTS!
What Matt said.

*CLANG!* Charge!

BillCullen1

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 03:16:51 PM »

Someone has posted a clip of Mr. Rogers on WOF in the video section. So he did do one game show that we know of. I can't picture him doing Tattletales either. The only other game shows that sound logical to me for Fred Rogers are the syndie WML as a mystery guest or Marshall's HS, since it seemed everyone did that show at one time or another. This is just speculation on my part. I have no proof that he did either of those shows.

calliaume

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 05:52:38 PM »
Example would be week of Nov 7th

Monday-Wednesday are Rona Barrett, Dick Gautier, and Julie London/Bobby Troup
Thursday-Friday are Rona Barrett, McCall and Brill, and London/Troup

Gautier and Barbara Stuart weren't divorced until 1979 - can't be them getting ticked off at one another.  (Probably.)