Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Simulations As Entertainment?  (Read 2145 times)

SweepingDeveloper

Game Show Simulations As Entertainment?
« on: March 23, 2018, 08:12:16 PM »
For years and years, all I needed to entertain myself was a pen, pad, and some sort of randomizer device (coin, die, deck of cards).  Using my imagination, I ran several game show simulations on paper (such as Millionaire, Twenty-One, Split Second, etc.), using fairly simple rules (in my Millionaire sim, a $100 question required 1 head to get it right and 5 tails to get it wrong, a $1,000,000 question required 5 heads to get it right and 2 tails to get it wrong).

Since I had my own web domain thesweepingdeveloper.com, and since I learned PHP and MySQLi, I decided to expand on this hobby and bring it online.  Thus, The Saturday Quiz, based on the UK's The People Versus, came online (www.thesweepingdeveloper.com/tsq.php), with more complex rules (http://www.thesweepingdeveloper.com/tsq_rules.html).

And now I'm experimenting with OBS and YouTube.  Here is a sample:

https://youtu.be/pVVu3DWnwiU (the dollar amounts are for a possible Season 2)

This is my question:  Could mere simulations of game shows be entertaining to the general public, given that enough disclaimers were given, or would this be just a niche show?
--The Sweeping Developer
www.thesweepingdeveloper.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Game Show Simulations As Entertainment?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 08:45:21 PM »
I think you would be better served to have actual contestants playing your games, especially since there are now people who are narrowcasting the game shows that they produce. About ten years ago there was a fellow who put out Powerpoint game shows where the contestants were immobile and mute, and the question material was questionable at best. and even though the creator was not a member here we ran roughshod over him.

That music, though. Hang on to that.
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 02:51:53 AM »
About ten years ago there was a fellow who put out Powerpoint game shows where the contestants were immobile and mute, and the question material was questionable at best. and even though the creator was not a member here we ran roughshod over him.

We would have run roughshod if he was a member. Those episodes were creepy as all get out.

But to your point- the entry point to being a video creator in 2018 is so affordable that most anyone can do it without investing a ton of money. I’d actually be really interested to see how much we could accomplish with the brain trust on this site producing 10 minute game show shorts for YouTube, ala the BUZZR YT videos from a few years ago.

Who knows....people lambasted Byron Allen for years for his low budget, terrible time slot shows. Now he’s buying The Weather Channel.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 04:37:36 AM »
He actually did have an account here. Eleven years ago, when he first started to come to our attention due to his use of overextended bumpers to introduce his videos he kifed from other pages such as the Page O Clips, he tried to defend his actions by creating an account where he posed as a fan (?) and defended his own actions.

Dave Zinkin didn't take long to expose the ruse and he didn't try again.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SuperMatch93

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 12:50:03 PM »
About ten years ago there was a fellow who put out Powerpoint game shows where the contestants were immobile and mute, and the question material was questionable at best. and even though the creator was not a member here we ran roughshod over him.

Out of morbid curiosity, do you have a link to any of his creations?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 01:57:30 PM »

Out of morbid curiosity, do you have a link to any of his creations?

Several of them have been posted here already.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022