Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dorothy Kilgallen film in the works  (Read 3134 times)

Mike Tennant

Dorothy Kilgallen film in the works
« on: March 13, 2018, 11:00:22 AM »
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/dowdle-brothers-dorothy-kilgallen-project-1202724232/

It's based on the book The Reporter Who Knew Too Much, which suggests that Kilgallen was murdered (rather than dying of an accidental overdose) because she was getting too close to the truth of the JFK assassination.

Eric Paddon

Re: Dorothy Kilgallen film in the works
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 06:23:12 PM »
The book was a piece of total nonsense written by an author whose scholarly credentials rank as virtually non-existent. 

Fedya

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 07:43:36 AM »
More 60s shit?

I can't wait until we as a culture finally move on from Stuff Baby Boomers Like.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

brianhenke

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 08:17:25 AM »
  People - even ones my age who were born after the JFK assassination - are still fascinated by it. Look at a supermarket checkout aisle and you will see a cover story about it from time to time ("OSWALD DIDN'T KILL JFK!").

You wonder if Kilgallen still lived past November 1965, her story about the assassination might have blown it wide open.

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

RMF

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 02:51:05 PM »
The book was a piece of total nonsense written by an author whose scholarly credentials rank as virtually non-existent. 

Between the author, the book title, and the press, I'd be shocked if it were anything else, truth be told....

You wonder if Kilgallen still lived past November 1965, her story about the assassination might have blown it wide open.

She had nothing and knew it- note that she spent most of the last month of her life bickering with a pair of Broadway producers when she published a review of their show while it was still in previews, which isn't exactly how you prioritize things when you do have the story of a lifetime.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 04:06:02 PM »
She had nothing and knew it- note that she spent most of the last month of her life bickering with a pair of Broadway producers when she published a review of their show while it was still in previews, which isn't exactly how you prioritize things when you do have the story of a lifetime.
I can't wait for the press tour where the directors tell us the film is actually about ethics in theater journalism
This signature is currently under construction.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 06:21:42 PM »
I've had some run-ins with this guy and suffice to say he's not only a lousy scholar and researcher, he's also someone who runs away in an instant when he realizes he has to deal with tough questions that undermine his whole book.    He keeps expecting everyone to lap up what he writes with no critical analysis (which is why his biggest crime as a writer is to pretend certain damning evidence to his theories don't exist and then count on 50 years removal from the subject to prevent people from bothering to look for the damning evidence against him).

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 10:22:02 PM »
I've heard the plausible tale that Dorothy would show up at studio 52 on Sunday night and boast to everyone within earshot about how she was going to blow the lid off the Kennedy assassination, having obtained an exclusive interview with Jack Ruby.

It is reasonable to assume that John Daly was one of those within earshot. Stop and think who Daly was married to. It is likewise reasonable to assume that Daly would call his father in law on Monday and share what Dorothy had revealed the previous evening.

Somewhere on YouTube is a clip of Jack Ruby who very strongly hints that LBJ had something to do with the assassination.

Neumms

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 03:10:13 PM »
Sure, it may all be a crock, but more fun to consider...whom would you cast as Dorothy? The Dowdles don't seem to have the pedigree to get Meryl Streep. Maybe Maggie Gyllenhall? Whom for John, Arlene and Bennett?

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 03:18:38 PM »
Although she doesn't necessarily have the look, I could see Reese Witherspoon pulling off Dorothy's sneaky side.

If not for all the recent controversy surrounding him, I would say Kevin Spacey as John Daly. Maybe Kevin Pollak? ;)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!