Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can Dream House be restored?  (Read 5221 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Can Dream House be restored?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 11:25:19 AM »
Does anybody know whether house winners were given a cash option of some sort?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SuperMatch93

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 12:01:38 PM »

IIRC, they eventually were on the 60s version, but I can't speak for the 80s one.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

tyshaun1

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2018, 12:32:56 PM »

What I find interesting is that when they had celebrities on for charity, they donated a whopping $5,000 for a show where the bonus round was won maybe once every 2 weeks on average. Compared to a house, that seemed chintzy even for then. Makes me believe the cost on those houses wasn't that much.

Tyshaun

thomas_meighan

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2018, 08:25:02 PM »
Regarding the "why preserve something if it's never going to be seen?" theme that's come and gone hereabouts:

Ultimately, it's because we don't KNOW that something is "never" going to be seen, and we can't predict what future people will value when they look back at the mass culture of a given period. Ownership changes, tastes and critical consensuses change, rights get cleared, new discoveries are made. When the only extant copies of something are junked, their non-availability becomes permanent for every succeeding generation.

About 30% of American silent features survive today in some form, including incompletes. In the middle years of the last century, many were discarded once their prints and negatives began to decay, because their owners usually felt that these movies had no further commercial potential and that there would never again be public demand to see them. Archivists and historians may have differed with them, but opinions won't bring those movies back.

In the late 1970s, 20th Century-Fox junked all of its three-strip Technicolor nitrate negatives. The color reversal intermediates made at the time were deemed adequate. Comes the era of DVD and especially Blu-ray, and the consequences of this preservation choice become more apparent when Fox's Technicolor output of the 1940s, while certainly watchable, lacks a certain something that modern scans of original three-strip negatives can reveal.

So that's why you keep things, even seeming trivia like a 65-episode game show. Retention and preservation practices are there (or should be) to benefit not only those now living, but for later generations as well.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 05:04:19 AM »
If I ever get Zuckerberg-like finances, I'll start a boutique DVD label for orphan game shows.  Where are the "Spin-Off" tapes? Both Nicholson and Muir are dead. 
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.