Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Room for Improvement  (Read 18912 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Room for Improvement
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 04:09:27 PM »
Merv Griffin's Crosswords: instead of one giant puzzle, I would've broken either broken it down into sections (say, four quadrants), or each round simply has a small puzzle of 10-15 words, perhaps following a theme. The bonus round would've been its own puzzle, with a set number of words. While this is now the "Crossfire" round from Cross-Wits, it at least avoids the inconsistent number of questions for each day's bonus round.

I know it says just one change (sorry)
You're absolved--it was such a horrible mess it would take several changes just to get its head above water.
I figured a show like that benefits from a complete overhaul. If I can think of one good flaw that needs fixing, I'll be back. :P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2018, 10:15:24 PM »
Agreed. MG Crosswords could have started with 4 players, lowest cash player at first break eliminated. The top two players face off, with the player in 3rd place acting as the only spoiler. Whichever players are at the two scoring podiums at the end of that segment face off in the third period, then the winner goes on to the bonus.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2018, 10:20:25 PM »
Why have a fourth player who is just going to be cut down after one segment? The spoiler element didn't add anything. If the show had a competent host and writing that is challenging but not brutal (cf: ESNE) then you've got it made.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2018, 11:31:02 PM »
Agreed. MG Crosswords could have started with 4 players, lowest cash player at first break eliminated. The top two players face off, with the player in 3rd place acting as the only spoiler. Whichever players are at the two scoring podiums at the end of that segment face off in the third period, then the winner goes on to the bonus.
My thing here is it still presents the biggest flaw so many of us had with the show: the spoiler can stand at his or her podium, not say a word until literally the last question, and swoop in to go to the championship round. That's hyperbole of course, but it still allows someone to win without doing a lot of heavy lifting.

I know Merv died about a month before the premiere, but I wonder was the entire season in the can when he passed? I also wonder how involved was he during the development process in early-2007?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2018, 11:42:20 PM »
By cutting it down to only one spoiler, and one who had to have earned some cash for the right to be the lone spoiler, that took away the idea that one last minute answer by a previously silent spoiler would win the entire game. Here, there's only a spoiler in round two. True, a spoiler could answer at the last second in round two and go on to the third and final round, but there would be no spoiler in the third round. Best player in the head-to-head wins and goes on to the bonus. To address Travis, it's that the game starts with 4 players, each having an equal chance. Which two will face off for the chance at the bonus? Other games of that era had no problems with dumping low scorers, so Merv just jumped on the bandwagon. IIRC, even the '78-'79 NBC reboot of Jeopardy! had the low player eliminated after the first board. I agree that the whole spoiler concept stunk as they did it, but it was at least an attempt to keep it from being a CrossWits clone.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:59:15 PM by The Ol' Guy »

alfonzos

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2018, 09:09:12 PM »
YDS! '78: Each celebrity begins with a value of $100. Every time the contestant does not guess the name based on the clue a celebrity the celebrity's value goes up $50. The gives a contestant a dilemma of whether to choose a celebrity who has a good chance of giving me a good clue but won't be worth much or gamble on getting an obscure clue and getting a decent payoff. The goal is still to get to $500.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2018, 09:52:28 PM »
YDS! '78: Each celebrity begins with a value of $100. Every time the contestant does not guess the name based on the clue a celebrity the celebrity's value goes up $50. The gives a contestant a dilemma of whether to choose a celebrity who has a good chance of giving me a good clue but won't be worth much or gamble on getting an obscure clue and getting a decent payoff. The goal is still to get to $500.

"We're looking for a fictional character. Bob, it's your turn...holy Christ, Rex Reed is up to $350. Jesus you suck at this game, Rex."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2018, 01:04:58 PM »
If Pointless ever came to the US, let the team with the lowest score in each round earn $100, $250 for the Head to Head winners, and $500 goes to any team who gets a pointless answer in addition to adding $500 to the jackpot.  No budget-busting giveaways here, just a little reward for good play along the way.

colonial

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2018, 08:44:50 PM »
My thing here is it still presents the biggest flaw so many of us had with the show: the spoiler can stand at his or her podium, not say a word until literally the last question, and swoop in to go to the championship round. That's hyperbole of course, but it still allows someone to win without doing a lot of heavy lifting.

I know Merv died about a month before the premiere, but I wonder was the entire season in the can when he passed? I also wonder how involved was he during the development process in early-2007?

If the Wiki article on MGC is to be believed, it says that Merv worked on the pilot and the "first week of series production" before his passing. It also mentions that the pilot involved contestants "building a cash jackpot" that could be won at the end.

My one memory of MGC was an episode where the two players in control ended the game in a tie. A tiebreaker clue was then played. Certainly, only those two players would be eligible to play it, right? Nope -- one of the spoilers got it right and advanced to the bonus.

A similar flaw occurred on Nickelodeon's Make the Grade. You can hypothetically fail to answer anything in the Q and A portion, but if you win the final Fire Drill (physical challenge) and seize control of the leading player's desk, you win and advance to the bonus round. I recall one game where a contestant answered all of one question (the opponents answered a combined 20 or so), but managed to win the final Fire Drill and won the game. He then proceeded to answer 0 or 1 questions correct in the bonus game.

Yes, I realize Make the Grade is a targeted to children, and "Nick kids" likely won't watch straight Q and A games. But perhaps give the Fire Drill winner a number of "bonus boxes" to add to their total. Help them on the path to the lead, but don't outright hand them the lead, particularly if they are down, say, 15 boxes or so.

JD

jage

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2018, 09:52:15 PM »
Well this bothered me as a 10-year-old so I wouldn't totally discount the minds of children.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2018, 10:00:36 PM »
Perhaps the Fire Drill should have been worth a bonus prize rather than usurping a coveted desk. I also think they could have lopped off a category and grade level to move the goal line a little closer.

I recall that there was a period where Get the Picture jettisoned the physical tasks that would be round two Power Surges and they were replaced by either more visual puzzles or fun with the Videowriter and The teams would move to center stage to play the mini-games and that represented all of the movement onstage during the main game.
Travis L. Eberle

jcs290

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2018, 10:31:26 PM »
For the MtG Fire Drill, 1st Place could’ve been for the right to steal one grade and one subject from another player, while 2nd place won the right to steal one or the other.

alfonzos

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2018, 04:35:49 PM »
"We're looking for a fictional character. Bob, it's your turn...holy Christ, Rex Reed is up to $350. Jesus you suck at this game, Rex."

Look, celebrities didn't mind being rated 99:1 on "Celebrity Sweepstakes" so they probably won't mind having their values rise during a game. Besides, think of the ovation a celebrity will get by finally giving the one good clue that lets a contestant come from behind to win the game.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2018, 08:14:56 PM »
The Joker's Wild - If the challenger spins 3 Jokers and answers correctly, the champion should have still gotten one final spin to try to do the same thing.

Card Sharks (later NBC and all Eubanks and Rafferty run), make the Big Bet a no push rule to add a bit more drama to the Big Bet.

Password Plus (one thing Super Password got right), any illegal clue would make the bonus just be $100 per word, not $4,000 for one illegal clue.

Family Feud - They upped the amount to $20,000 for Fast Money, couldn't they at least pay $10 per point, or why not $25 per point even? 

Let's Make A Deal (Brady) - Still have 2 players going for the Big Deal instead of just one.

Wheel Of Fortune - Bring back returning champions for up to 3 nights, unless they win the $1,000,000.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2018, 08:56:34 PM »
Look, celebrities didn't mind being rated 99:1 on "Celebrity Sweepstakes" so they probably won't mind having their values rise during a game. Besides, think of the ovation a celebrity will get by finally giving the one good clue that lets a contestant come from behind to win the game.

...and then you might as well replace the celebrity with their press photo for the rest of the week, because ain't nobody calling on Rex Reed for a paltry $100 after that.

(Now, what if you Puerto Rico it and add the $50 to anyone who didn't get called on in the previous round instead?)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe