Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: early 10K Pyramid week  (Read 4130 times)

pyrfan

early 10K Pyramid week
« on: January 31, 2004, 11:45:55 AM »
I saw on TV Tome a partial episode guide for the first year of "The $10,000 Pyramid,"
and for the seventh week, they list five different female celebrities playing against Dick
Shawn: Betty White, Vicki Lawrence, Cloris Leachman, Carol Lawrence, and Bernadette
Peters. This listing seems fishy to me for a number of reasons, not the least of which is
that when Betty made her first visit to the 25K in 1982, she said that she had never played
in New York at all. Does this week with Dick Shawn sound familiar to anyone?

Brendan

Jay Temple

early 10K Pyramid week
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 12:46:05 PM »
That would explain xanfan.com's list doesn't say who played against him.  Not having looked at the TV Tome guide, I would speculate that Betty White was scheduled to play and listed in TV Guide, but something came up between the press release and the taping date.  I know that has happened before.  (I know, I know, why don't they tape the shows first and then report who played?  I assume there's some reason they can't.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Jimmy Owen

early 10K Pyramid week
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 01:12:55 PM »
Here's what it said in that week's TVG "Dick Shawn is among the guests. Host: Dick Clark."  That same week, over on NBC in the same time slot, Betty White and Beverly Garland were the guests on Dick Enberg's "Baffle" Dutifully attending school at the time, I did not actually see either program.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 01:25:33 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

GSFan

early 10K Pyramid week
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 09:11:17 PM »
Dick Shawn did do a week of Pyramid in NYC in the spring or summer of 1973.  To the best of my recollection, he played the game with one female opponent although I don't remember who that was.

I'm confident that Betty White never played the game in NYC.

David
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
early 10K Pyramid week
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 09:18:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 31 2004, 11:12 AM\'] Here's what it said in that week's TVG "Dick Shawn is among the guests. Host: Dick Clark."  That same week, over on NBC in the same time slot, Betty White and Beverly Garland were the guests on Dick Enberg's "Baffle" Dutifully attending school at the time, I did not actually see either program. [/quote]
 That...is a whole lotta Dick.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

early 10K Pyramid week
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 09:44:28 PM »
Didn't the first year of $10K Pyramid tape in LA? I know it aired for CBS.

zachhoran

early 10K Pyramid week
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 09:52:35 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 09:44 PM\'] Didn't the first year of $10K Pyramid tape in LA? I know it aired for CBS. [/quote]
 A handful of weeks of $10K Pyramid did tape at CBS TV City, but most of the CBS 70s run taped in NYC.

Kevin Prather

early 10K Pyramid week
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2004, 09:56:18 PM »
Was this week in question one of the said handful?

Ian Wallis

early 10K Pyramid week
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2004, 08:55:12 AM »
Was this week in question one of the said handful?

As far as we know, no.  We've determined there were likely just weeks of shows from LA - one week with Barbara Feldon and John Schuck, one week with Ed Asner and Sandy Duncan, and one week with "Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice" vs "MASH".  All of those weeks (with the exception of maybe one episode) have been run on GSN, and originally aired in November 1973.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!