Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buzzr Commericals  (Read 6005 times)

ClockGameJohn

Buzzr Commericals
« on: January 25, 2018, 12:42:11 AM »
I rarely chime in here but always enjoy the reads.  I've been thoroughly enjoying Buzzr since Dish Network picked it up (and I don't have to keep using my digital antenna!).  My only gripe is the advertising.

I don't expect to see Apple or Doritos running big dollar ads on Buzzr, but it seems that the only commercials are related to overly depressing Veterans/Disability/Cripped Children; which certainly is quite a mood swing for a "game show" channel.  I find myself going from reliving fun childhood memories - to wanting to slit my wrists or donating thousands to help our Veterans.  One minute we are laughing at drunk Brett, the next second there are armless kids asking for help.

What gives? I mean...holy shit.

BrandonFG

Re: Buzzr Commericals
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 01:09:01 AM »
I think most of your digital subchannels are gonna have commercials like that. Antenna TV has a bunch for the Cancer Treatment Center and Wounded Warrior, along with catheters and infomercial products.

I've seen those same ads on a few channels...I've learned to tune them out or mute them, which is what I do for most commercial breaks, regardless of channel.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chrisholland03

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 09:23:25 AM »
I can't tell you the last time I watched live TV for that very reason.  I prefer my manipulation to be covert vs overt.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 06:33:06 PM »
When Buzzr first started, almost all of its advertising seemed to be the sort of old-skewing spots that people associate with daytime and cable TV (and that daytime and cable TV try to avoid relying on). Last year, it felt like they had shifted to primarily direct-response ads for products like adhesives from the Flex Seal family and a wide variety of nonstick copper cookware. Which is probably as good as you can expect for a digital subchannel.

But yeah, it feels like this year, all of the ads are still direct response, but now they're for really depressing charities. I'm not sure whether it's indicative of anything network-wide, but it certainly is a shift in tone.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 11:31:13 PM »
I think the only commercials they run that actually could be considered regular ads are the Sling commercials, no?

/Danny Trejo in suspenders and a weird hat...
//Flex Glue?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Sodboy13

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 12:24:49 AM »
The ASPCA ads are especially dire, and I feel like they've been airing well over a year. Still not as bad as the ads for final expenses planning that seem to be the bulk of NHL Network's ad revenue, though.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 07:18:28 PM »
With apologies for a month-old bump...I'm currently watching a D-1 college basketball game on FOX College Sports.  Almost every "advertisement" has been a PSA for the "Pass it On" foundation. There's been a couple other PSAs, but nothing for a commercial product or service.  Is the tv advertising landscape overpriced or do very few people watch the networks being discussed?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 01:31:16 AM »
Fox College Sports isn't a widely available network and usually if your cable system carries it at all it's part of some off the wall subscription tier.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022