Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ebay: Inflatable Whammy "bop bag"  (Read 4586 times)

Matt Ottinger

Ebay: Inflatable Whammy "bop bag"
« on: January 15, 2018, 06:18:41 PM »
I know this is already standing in a few game show savvy homes, but here's a chance for you to have an inflatable Whammy "bop bag" of your very own.

The seller is also offering a handful of other pop culture artifacts, with the likelihood of more on the way.  Let's not delve too deeply into why I happen to know this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GSN-WHAMMY-Game-Show-Network-Press-Kit-with-Inflatable-Bop-Bag/253371859573
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Ebay: Inflatable Whammy "bop bag"
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 06:25:55 PM »
I didn't know that "Eastern Washington" merited its own TV Guide.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 06:28:10 PM »

It also includes listings for Moscow.  I was disappointed they were not in Cyrillic.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 09:27:34 PM »

I didn't know they could read.

/hi-yo!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

trainman

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 11:49:45 PM »

This Wikipedia page may prove interesting (or maybe not): List of TV Guide editions

(Not a complete list, though, because it doesn't include the myriad of "cable" editions that co-existed with the regional editions in the '90s and '00s.)
trainman is a man of trains

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 01:04:18 AM »
Regarding the Spin Again Mag issues:  I had a letter published in the #1 issue, but they had my city incorrectly listed as Omaha.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 08:33:05 AM »
(Not a complete list, though, because it doesn't include the myriad of "cable" editions that co-existed with the regional editions in the '90s and '00s.)

Some of those "cable" editions evolved from TVG buying out a magazine called "TV HOST" which was pretty big in PA (who in turn bought out a magazine called "TV Time and Channel" in 1985).

Scrabbleship

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 02:26:20 PM »

Some of those "cable" editions evolved from TVG buying out a magazine called "TV HOST" which was pretty big in PA (who in turn bought out a magazine called "TV Time and Channel" in 1985).

Those cable editions, especially once Adelphia got involved, were trippy and seemed to have coverage areas that defied all logic and even TV Guide's own rules (such as the 15% coverage of sales area rule). The worst offender was the Adelphia Northern Vermont edition which was also sold in an odd area along the Massachusetts/Vermont border and as such listed stations stretching from Hartford to Montreal.

/ Much of the said edition in the TVG trading circuit is of my own seeding.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 10:06:27 AM »
I found the cable editions kind of a chore to read - they weren't very visually pleasing.  I like the '60s and '70s issues the best - there was a certain charm to it then.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 10:11:21 AM »
I found the cable editions kind of a chore to read - they weren't very visually pleasing.  I like the '60s and '70s issues the best - there was a certain charm to it then.

The cable editions were the all-grid ones, right?

/Almost 13 years later and I still miss the log listings from the "old" TVG

trainman

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 10:17:59 PM »
The cable editions were the all-grid ones, right?

I think you're thinking of the full-size "Ultimate Cable" editions, but there were also regular digest-sized editions like this one that had the same listing format as the regional editions, with overlapping distribution.

(I was a TV Guide subscriber, and if I recall correctly, I got switched from the regional Los Angeles Metropolitan edition to that Adelphia edition with no notice when it started, presumably based on my ZIP code. For the last few years of TV Guide's existence, subscribers could switch on tvguide.com between receiving their local regional edition, their time zone's DirecTV edition, and the cable edition in their area if there was one. Which I did when I switched from cable to DirecTV in 2003.)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 12:40:27 PM »
I've got several Paragon Cable Manhattan editions from the early '90s, and those ones have elongated bullets for everything, including regular channel nos., and most of the channels also have an elongated bullet beside the cable designation (e.g. ESN) with the channel no. you can find it on.

Those are more of the ones I'm talking about.  There are several other cable-editions that were setup this way - and the listings are ugly because of what I just described.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

trainman

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 11:19:47 PM »
Those are more of the ones I'm talking about.  There are several other cable-editions that were setup this way - and the listings are ugly because of what I just described.

Then here's something you'll really hate: this one, with both "H" and "P" bullets (even when both Hillsborough and Pinellas had the same channel numbers).

aaron sica

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 08:29:40 AM »

Then here's something you'll really hate: this one, with both "H" and "P" bullets (even when both Hillsborough and Pinellas had the same channel numbers).

Wow, this makes the setup that the PA-NY state edition had (5N for NYC, 5S for Syracuse, 9N for NYC, 9N for Syracuse) look like child's play.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 10:37:51 AM »
I've got several Paragon Cable Manhattan editions from the early '90s, and those ones have elongated bullets for everything, including regular channel nos., and most of the channels also have an elongated bullet beside the cable designation (e.g. ESN) with the channel no. you can find it on.

Not a fan of the elongated bullets.  I did have one from Texas which did that and the one thing they did do that I liked was they would have a synopsis below the title on the cable networks.

example:

(NIK)-(12) MY THREE SONS-Comedy (BW)
Uncle Bub gets angry.
(LIF)-(13)THIRTYSOMETHING-Drama
Gary is forced to grow up.

etc.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.