Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If I were TPIR Producer for a Day..  (Read 13795 times)

zachhoran

If I were TPIR Producer for a Day..
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2004, 12:21:35 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 11 2004, 12:02 PM\']
Danger Price and Any Number have already had redos since their introduction.  Temptation had a paint job but could stand a redo.

I'm afraid a redo for Credit Card would include a mock photo ID credit card on the board that would have you-know-who's picture on it (not Syd Vinnedge). [/quote]
 Ten Chances and Bonus Game are the two games from the 70s that look the most dated. Bonus Game still has the green border 12 years after the turntable carpet changed color from green to red(and now to blue). Ten Chances did get a minor renovation as of the last playing, in that new buttons were installed, with the numbers 1-10 underneath the buttons in a new font.

Casey

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2004, 01:22:33 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 6 2004, 11:28 AM\'] Now there's an idea...bring back some retired games, maybe once per week or something...call them "throwbacks." ;-)

[/quote]
 I like this idea a lot.  Even the time consuming games would be ok once per week (Superball).  After yesterday's playing of Plinko, we could play Superball in the same amount of time.  

The only problem I see is that the younger crowd wouldn't remember the old games.  Still, if you were going to give me a car and all I had to do was win Hurdles or Super Saver, I'd do it. :)

Neumms

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2004, 01:39:03 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 11 2004, 12:21 PM\']
Ten Chances and Bonus Game are the two games from the 70s that look the most dated. Bonus Game still has the green border 12 years after the turntable carpet changed color from green to red(and now to blue). Ten Chances did get a minor renovation as of the last playing, in that new buttons were installed, with the numbers 1-10 underneath the buttons in a new font. [/quote]
 I haven't seen the re-do, but Ten Chances started looking horsey when they put that huge panel underneath the board, rather than it being held up by the laticework pillars on the ends. At some point, Temptation also had a solid panel installed under the board, where one could see underneath before. Anybody know why?

Other than that, "Ten Chances" has sort of a timeless charm. I don't know why laticework, green and red belong on a game called "Ten Chances," but it's a game with a unique look.

byrd62

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2004, 01:52:49 PM »
1.  Maybe use videoscreens instead of mechanically-controlled props for IUFB's and pricing games, as has been done on the British version.

2.  With all the commercial clutter cutting into the show's time, I would change the format to four IUFB's/pricing games, followed by one showcase showdown with all four onstage players, and concluding with a one-player showcase that has the element from "Card Game" where the player has to determine the difference to come within the showcase's retail price without going over.  Saves on the prize budget, and gives more time for viewers to get to know the players better.

Jay Temple

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2004, 12:17:35 AM »
I like your idea of cutting down to four IUFB/pricing games, but the two-player showcase portion is too important to mess with.  My suggestion:  The top winner has his choice of a free pass to the showcase bidding or the last spot in the SCSD.  (If he chooses the SCSD, the second player gets the free pass, no choice.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2004, 01:46:18 AM »
[quote name=\'byrd62\' date=\'Feb 11 2004, 01:52 PM\'] Saves on the prize budget, and gives more time for viewers to get to know the players better. [/quote]
 From a personal standpoint, I really don't care to know more about Sally the ditz who bid $5400 on a dishwasher, or Kevin; the college punk in a "Bob Rulz!" t-shirt.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2004, 02:27:16 AM »
Regarding the four one-bids format:

If you won a car, and consequently, were the top winner, why on earth would you choose to play in the Showcase Showdown?  Is a 1/400 shot at $11,000 worth it to possibly not even qualify for the boatloads, or carloads of prizes?

I would give the top winner a bonus spin for $5,000 or $10,000; after the other three players battle for the other spot.

Here's an idea I've tinkered with after seeing the original TPIR:

Have the same four players for the entire show.  Bring out one-bid items, the winner gets that, and the chance to play a stage game.  Top two winners would move up to the Showcase.  I had an option if the show went to returning champs as a nighttime show, but it's not appropriate here.

This format means that while only four people get called to play, they all have relatively the same chances to win, as opposed to the person who is the ninth name on Randy's list, and has to bid first on the one-bid.

Travis
Travis L. Eberle

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2004, 02:34:41 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Feb 12 2004, 02:27 AM\'] If you won a car, and consequently, were the top winner, why on earth would you choose to play in the Showcase Showdown? [/quote]
 To pay down taxes.

Brandon Brooks

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2004, 04:50:49 AM »
You lose a break with this format:

Pricing game #1

Pricing game #2

Pricing game #3

Pricing game #4

Pricing game #5