Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If I were TPIR Producer for a Day..  (Read 13792 times)

GS Warehouse

If I were TPIR Producer for a Day..
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2004, 10:56:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 09:36 PM\'] The only change that comes to my mind other than the many good ones y'all have already listed is make the Triple Play car reveal like it used to be for Superball. I fully admit that I'd do this to get an extended playing of The Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour theme. [/quote]
 In addition to this, instead of YES and NO, just have the ARP under each price tag--in green for the correct choice and red for the wrong ones.  (BTW, when Jay does TP on NPiR, he straight out gives the ARP as a choice.)

I'd reformat Cliff Hangers into a new game less violent but no less nail-biting: KNOCKOUT.  Yes, like the Illinois Instant Riches game, there'd be two cylinders and a motorized cube in the playing field.  There'd still be three small prizes, and for each prize, the cube would run one second for each dollar the contestant is off.  After all three prizes, if either cylinder is still standing, the contestant wins the bonus prize (maybe add $1,000 if both are still up).  If both cylinders are knocked over, the contestant still wins all small prizes before the current one.

To Travis re: Clock Game: do you work for Fremantle? :-)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2004, 11:16:55 PM »
No, I don't, and you can bet that if I did, their game shows wouldn't be in as sorry a state as they are.  I'm not sure if I should be amused or insulted by your comment.  I choose amused.

Giving away two cheap prizes and $1,000 seems like a waste of a game when you could make it more exciting by adding the element of risk and playing against the time, while giving smart players (end your bids in $--9, people!) a chance to win a good sum.

Travis
Travis L. Eberle

GS Warehouse

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2004, 11:39:51 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 11:16 PM\'] ... I'm not sure if I should be amused or insulted by your comment.  I choose amused. [/quote]
 That smilie was there for a reason.  I was just being facetious.

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2004, 12:45:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Starkman\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 07:13 PM\']I think the dwindling bonus on clock game is a good one but to make it a little more fair id do it like this, to avoid the $100 one second problem.

first 10 seconds - $5000 bonus

Every 5 seconds after that 1000 goes away

So a minimum is the old $1000 but there is a difficult but possible chance to get the 5k and an average win of 3k, not that bad.

I'd also like a reveal for coming or going.

Dunno bout the bonus for grocery game, would have to see it in action.[/quote]
My cash bonus GameTweak (Pat. Pending, or maybe Pat Carroll) for Clock Game was similar to Starkman's, except that the $5000 would be awarded for getting both prizes in less than fifteen seconds.

Then, if the time remaining is 14 - 15 seconds, the bonus would be $2500.  13 - 14 seconds: $2400, and so on, $100 less a second, with a $1000 minimum for a last-second win.

(Of course, the game would require a more sensitive clock on-stage. In fact, my idea started as "The Digital Clock Game," starting at 30.00 seconds; ex. if the player had 7.39 seconds left, bonus would be $1739.  Ghastly, I know...)

Esoteric Eric, who could post all night with TPIR GameTweaks (Pat. Pending, not Pat Paulsen); just a sample...

... a per-chance cash bonus for winning Ten Chances quickly

... reconfigure the Big Wheel, and the Bonus Spin would be $5K - $10K - $15K - $20K - $25K for .05 - .10 - .15 - .20 - .25

... two or three levels of cash bonuses replacing (or even in addition to) the DSW (ex. $100,000 for a perfect bid; I know it can be done, because I did it playing along with a '95 ep (OK, so I used a calculator, estimating the price of each prize))
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 12:57:05 AM by Esoteric Eric »
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Jay Temple

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2004, 01:04:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 11:45 PM\'] My cash bonus GameTweak (Pat. Pending, or maybe Pat Carroll) for Clock Game was similar to Starkman's, except that the $5000 would be awarded for getting both prizes in less than fifteen seconds..

Then, if the time remaining is 14 - 15 seconds, the bonus would be $2500. 13 - 14 seconds: $2400, and so on, $100 less a second, with a $1000 minimum for a last-second win.[/quote]
Then you could call it "Time Is Money" and retire that other game.

... two or three levels of cash bonuses replacing (or even in addition to) the DSW (ex. $100,000 for a perfect bid; I know it can be done, because I did it playing along with a '95 ep (OK, so I used a calculator, estimating the price of each prize))

Don't complicate it with too many levels.  Keep the existing DSW, and a perfect bid gets you both showcases plus $50,000.  (Prime time, both showcases plus $1,000,000.  There's your million dollar special.  Hey, if Pyramid doesn't give away $100,000 every time in their $100,000 tournament, ...)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 01:07:39 AM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2004, 01:18:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Starkman\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 10:13 PM\'] I like these ideas.

I think the dwindling bonus on clock game is a good one but to make it a little more fair id do it like this, to avoid the $100 one second problem.

first 10 seconds - $5000 bonus

[/quote]
Mo' money syndrome in action!

Why are you giving away a "bonus" worth about 3.5-4 times the amount of the prizes given away in the game?

Most of you shouldn't consider a career in game show producing...one doesn't need to give away money to simply give it away.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 02:26:50 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2004, 01:39:07 AM »
You guys wouldn't last an hour.

Really?  I think quite a few of these are pretty damn good, with the exception of Starkman's Clock Game cash bonus thing, from what I could make out of all the lowercase letters and lack of punctuation.

I'd be interested in what you would have to offer the thread, besides being a naysayer.

Travis
Travis L. Eberle

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2004, 05:26:42 AM »
While we're in a cash bonus moood, I have one for Check-Out.  If the contestant's total is the same as the ACTUAL total of all 5 products, s/he wins a $500 bonus.

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2004, 04:13:06 PM »
QUOTE (Esoteric Eric @ Jan 30 2004, 11:45 PM)
My cash bonus GameTweak (Pat. Pending, or maybe Pat Carroll) for Clock Game was similar to Starkman's, except that the $5000 would be awarded for getting both prizes in less than fifteen seconds..

Then, if the time remaining is 14 - 15 seconds, the bonus would be $2500. 13 - 14 seconds: $2400, and so on, $100 less a second, with a $1000 minimum for a last-second win.

Oh... OK.  Sorry, Jay, but I retired from fulltime TPIR viewing shortly after my perfect Showcase bid (and, pathetically, when I finally realized that The Lovely Holly had been dismissed several months (years?) previously.)  I therefore don't recall having ever seen Time is Money, so I couldn't guess as to the similarity (or lack of same) of the two games.

RE: the DSW...

Don't complicate it with too many levels.  Keep the existing DSW, and a perfect bid gets you both showcases plus $50,000.  (Prime time, both showcases plus $1,000,000....)

Yeah, that's even better, even though several thousand for-real Showcase bids have been made in the last 31+ years, and no one's been closer than $4, right?

Esoteric Eric... Of course, it was too complicated! I "nevah... evah... do NUTHIN' NICE... AND EEEEEEEEAAAASY!" (Thanks, Tina (Miss Turner, if you're nasty)!)
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

zachhoran

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2004, 05:21:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' date=\'Jan 31 2004, 04:13 PM\']
Yeah, that's even better, even though several thousand for-real Showcase bids have been made in the last 31+ years, and no one's been closer than $4, right?

[/quote]
 A 1979 bid of $5600 was only $2 off the $5602 ARP of a showcase. Dennis James apparently saw a perfect showcase bid in the first season of his nighttime version(the display reportedly read 00000).

Jay Temple

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2004, 05:33:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' date=\'Jan 31 2004, 03:13 PM\']

Oh... OK.  Sorry, Jay, but I retired from fulltime TPIR viewing shortly after my perfect Showcase bid (and, pathetically, when I finally realized that The Lovely Holly had been dismissed several months (years?) previously.)  I therefore don't recall having ever seen Time is Money, so I couldn't guess as to the similarity (or lack of same) of the two games. [/quote]
 Actually, I don't think I've seen Time Is Money myself, but my impression is that it's not terribly popular in this forum, so the name could be recycled.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

ChuckNet

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2004, 06:02:18 PM »
Nah, I don't think Bonus Game was played on the 1986 primetime specials. The SHell Game "find the ball" bonus was raised to $1000 for these specials IIRC.

It was also raised to $1K for the Kennedy version, which later just scrapped the "find the ball" requirement and gave the contestant the $1K automatically if they won all 4 chips.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2004, 06:04:12 PM »
Dennis James apparently saw a perfect showcase bid in the first season of his nighttime version(the display reportedly read 00000).

Actually, the perfect bid supposedly occured on the daytime version, since the winning bid was $2200, not an amount you'd see on a nighttime showcase...it was apparently a fur ep, since GSN never aired it.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2004, 03:46:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Jan 31 2004, 05:33 PM\']Actually, I don't think I've seen Time Is Money myself, but my impression is that it's not terribly popular in this forum, so the name could be recycled.[/quote]
Time Is Money is really not a bad game at all. The joke is that, after its early retooling, its name no longer has any relationship to the game being played--so we should give that name to a more deserving game.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

zachhoran

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2004, 09:42:39 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 03:46 AM\']
Time Is Money is really not a bad game at all. The joke is that, after its early retooling, its name no longer has any relationship to the game being played--so we should give that name to a more deserving game. [/quote]
 To make the game more deserving of its name, play Time is Money for a prize like it is now. However, give the player a 20 or 30 second clock and a button to press at the left side of the gameboard. THey could place the products, then press a button, and if wrong, go back and make changes. If they get all five right, they win the prize plus $100 per second left on the clock.