Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If I were TPIR Producer for a Day..  (Read 13805 times)

grimmte

If I were TPIR Producer for a Day..
« on: January 30, 2004, 05:53:07 PM »
Don't know if anyone has done anything like this before, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating old posts...

If I were TPIR Producer for a Day:

1. I would change the dollar values in "Spelling Bee", making them in a range from $100 to $900, just to add a little flavour and decision-making when deciding to go for the car or take the cash. No more "Oh look, another $500 card."

2. I would change "Clock Game" and instead of awarding $1000 for a win, I would award $100 for every full second that remained on the clock. Ergo, a better clock game player earns a bigger cash prize.

3. I would change "Bonus Game" such that if someone got all four prizes correct, they could do as they do in Shell game and guess where the Bonus is, and if they are correct they win an additional prize.

4. I would bring back "Superball" and the music that went with it.

5. I would ban people from the studio who can't seem to figure out that when only one prize in "Hit Me" ends in a 0, they don't realize it contains a 10 or a face card with it. (Okay, not really, but that is one of my biggest pet peeves other than those stupid 10 Chances players.)

6.  I would have the time of my life!

Thanks,
Todd
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 05:53:35 PM by grimmte »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 06:31:07 PM »
[quote name=\'grimmte\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 03:53 PM\'] 3. I would change "Bonus Game" such that if someone got all four prizes correct, they could do as they do in Shell game and guess where the Bonus is, and if they are correct they win an additional prize.
 [/quote]
 Didn't they do this at one time? Like, on one of the 1987 Specials or something? I remember them doing this for an automatic winner for some reason.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 06:40:31 PM »
If I were in a TPIR producer's shoes....

I'd reinstate that $100 cash bonus rule that was retired very quickly in Grocery Game, but use it with today's rules.

It's been a long time since we last saw it.  For those who don't remember or aren't familiar, you were given $100 cash at the game's start. Whether you won or lost (You had to buy between $6.75-$7 worth at the time, and you kept the $100 cash whether you won or lost, as long as you don't go over $7.)

Using that bonus rule with today's rules, as long as the contestant doesn't go over $21, that cash bonus is kept, regardless of whether they won or lost.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 06:43:22 PM »
For Clock Game, I'd have a potentially endless stream of < $1,000 prizes.  Give the prize and a token cash amount after each win.  Double or quits until you wuss out or run out of time and lose it all.  I bet some people could win three or four prizes and a couple grand in cash.

"Plinko" would go back to the $5,000 slot.

Get rid of the duplicate games and come up with new, more interesting ones.

"On the Spot" is now played for a ~$5,000 prize instead of a car.

Punch board goes up to $20,000; but the frequency isn't known before, so it's more of a gamble whether you want to give back the $2,000 or go for the one $20,000 slip. "Ooh, sorry, you gave back $2,000 and got $75."

Travis
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 06:55:59 PM »
[quote name=\'grimmte\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 05:53 PM\']Don't know if anyone has done anything like this before, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating old posts...

If I were TPIR Producer for a Day:

2. I would change "Clock Game" and instead of awarding $1000 for a win, I would award $100 for every full second that remained on the clock. Ergo, a better clock game player earns a bigger cash prize.[/quote]
Not a bad idea, but what if I win with only :01 left? $100 is OK, but when I could win $1,000 as before, it seems flawed.
3. I would change "Bonus Game" such that if someone got all four prizes correct, they could do as they do in Shell game and guess where the Bonus is, and if they are correct they win an additional prize.
As Chris L. mentioned, they might have done this before, so that's cool...I'd have the contestant guess for a cash prize, say $500?

Now for some of my own changes...just two that I know of:

-Change the look of "Coming or Going" and "Bonkers." They're absolutely hideous.

-Add a small cash bonus ($500) to any contestant who gets 21 in "Hit Me." A lot of you say "Mo Money," I say the producers would NEVER give that bonus away. I think this is one game where a contestant should be rewarded for having some sense. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 07:03:58 PM »
Hit Me: I think rewarding people for playing the game properly is a great idea.  I'd say $1,000 for a two-card twenty-one.  Not Mo' Money at all.

As for Coming/Going, having some sort of visible right answer would be nice.  Maybe make it all black and white so it doesn't clash with the background.

I think "Bonkers" looks fine as is, and the craziness of the setup adds to the theme, but hey, as long as you keep the game in the rotation, I'm happy.

Travis
Travis L. Eberle

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 07:47:04 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 06:31 PM\'] [quote name=\'grimmte\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 03:53 PM\'] 3. I would change "Bonus Game" such that if someone got all four prizes correct, they could do as they do in Shell game and guess where the Bonus is, and if they are correct they win an additional prize.
 [/quote]
Didn't they do this at one time? Like, on one of the 1987 Specials or something? I remember them doing this for an automatic winner for some reason. [/quote]
 Nah, I don't think Bonus Game was played on the 1986 primetime specials. The SHell Game "find the ball" bonus was raised to $1000 for these specials IIRC.

Gus

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 07:59:08 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 08:03 PM\']As for Coming/Going, having some sort of visible right answer would be nice.  Maybe make it all black and white so it doesn't clash with the background.[/quote]
Hear, hear. Just have a card flip out from under that bar, like Bonkers. Or maybe the fact that it tilts back and forth would complicate the matter. Or not; just hold the card under by a wooden stick or something, and have Bob pull it out for the reveal... think modern Golden Road reveal, only with that colored tab thing flat and supporting the reveal card up instead of covering up a number.

Speaking of C/G, where do you folks get the idea that it's designed like a flower? If it was a flower, it's have a circular center and the petal-like things would be rounded at the end.

End rant.

Jay Temple

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2004, 09:20:58 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 06:03 PM\'] Hit Me: I think rewarding people for playing the game properly is a great idea.  I'd say $1,000 for a two-card twenty-one.  Not Mo' Money at all. [/quote]
 If this were some other topic, I might say, "They already get a bonus for having a lick of sense--a much greater chance of winning!"  But I like this idea too.  The real fun would be seeing someone so profoundly stupid that they keep going on 19 because they want the bonus.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Don Howard

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2004, 09:36:03 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 06:40 PM\'] I'd reinstate that $100 cash bonus rule that was retired very quickly in Grocery Game, but use it with today's rules.

[/quote]
 Here, here. I'd plum forgotten about that. I'd bump it to $250, however.

-Add a small cash bonus ($500) to any contestant who gets 21 in "Hit Me."

Shades of Gambit. Nice one also.

The only change that comes to my mind other than the many good ones y'all have already listed is make the Triple Play car reveal like it used to be for Superball. I fully admit that I'd do this to get an extended playing of The Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour theme.

zachhoran

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2004, 09:38:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 09:20 PM\'] The real fun would be seeing someone so profoundly stupid that they keep going on 19 because they want the bonus. [/quote]
 If the player had not already picked the two that's usually among the cards on the board, and went on at 19, it wouldn't be as profoundly stupid as you might think. Though a contestant who has 19 in Hit Me probably doesn't have a strong grasp on how to play the game :)

Jay Temple

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2004, 09:45:08 PM »
Truly profoundly stupid would be to go on 19--and pick an odd price!
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

JayC

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2004, 09:54:20 PM »
Coming or Going has a windmill design, definately.

I would retire Pick a Number (for sucking, and being a Golden Road and Squeeze Play wannabe), Secret X (Shell Game wannabe), Bonus Game (to simular and less intersting then Shell Game), Joker (Shell Game wannabe), and Poker Game (to cheap)

I would bring back Superball and Walk of Fame.

I would change the sets of On the Spot, and the look of the turntable, turning it to purple, red, and orange.

Starkman

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2004, 10:13:33 PM »
I like these ideas.

I think the dwindling bonus on clock game is a good one but to make it a little more fair id do it like this, to avoid the $100 one second problem.

first 10 seconds - $5000 bonus

Every 5 seconds after that 1000 goes away

So a minimum is the old $1000 but there is a difficult but possible chance to get the 5k and an average win of 3k, not that bad.

I'd also like a reveal for coming or going.

Dunno bout the bonus for grocery game, would have to see it in action.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2004, 10:31:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 08:36 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 06:40 PM\'] I'd reinstate that $100 cash bonus rule that was retired very quickly in Grocery Game, but use it with today's rules.[/quote]

Here, here. I'd plum forgotten about that. I'd bump it to $250, however.[/quote]

Hmm, OK. That's fine with me. I never thought about that, but that's fine.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 10:32:41 PM by gameshowguy2000 »