Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If I were TPIR Producer for a Day..  (Read 14098 times)

gameshowguy2000

If I were TPIR Producer for a Day..
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2004, 07:48:50 PM »
I'm gonna have to disagree with the bagging of Bonus Game.

It's one of the surviving "First Five" (as you know "Bullseye I" died very quickly), and I'd keep it.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2004, 09:10:07 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 05:48 PM\'] I'm gonna have to disagree with the bagging of Bonus Game.

It's one of the surviving "First Five" (as you know "Bullseye I" died very quickly), and I'd keep it. [/quote]
 Okay, but you need to come up with a better reason than "it's one of the First Five." Neumms is right, it's essentially Shell Game with less player choice. And really, it's pretty moronic for that reason. Bob could accurately describe the game like this:

"Okay, you are about to try to win four small prizes. But three of them don't make a damn bit of difference as to the outcome of the game, because we've already decided which one will win you the big prize too."

Bring back Give or Take, I say.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2004, 12:14:43 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 06:44 AM\'] [quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 03:48 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 12:19 PM\'] [quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 09:52 AM\'] I'd bring in a freakin' substitute to cover the chores of an octogenarian egomaniac who calls in sick so the crew and the audience doesn't have to be sent home. [/quote]
Considering the "octogenarian egomaniac" in question is one of the most recognizable faces in television, PERIOD, much LESS daytime television, you wouldn't be producing the show very long with that attitude.

Sometimes, the ego DOES have enough power to run things how they want. This is one of those cases. [/quote]
Which leads me to a question:  What exactly is the disclaimer on the tickets; regarding cancellation? [/quote]
Looking at the one I have, nothing. [/quote]
I would think CBS would have to have some kind of safeguard in place, however...otherwise, people may attempt to sue for their travel expenses, if they can prove the sole purpose of their trip was to see Price.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 12:14:52 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2004, 12:20:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 10:14 PM\'] I would think CBS would have to have some kind of safeguard in place, however...otherwise, people may attempt to sue for their travel expenses, if they can prove the sole purpose of their trip was to see Price. [/quote]
 They would lose. Bottom line. They paid NOTHING for the tickets, and that's exactly what CBS owes them. Nothing.

When you buy a ticket for a sporting even, you run the risk of that event getting rained out, or otherwise postponned, and that's a ticket you're actually forking money over for. At WORST you might be able to get a refund for the face value of the ticket minus any convenience fees.

Again, face value of a TPiR ticket: $0.00.

Don Howard

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2004, 01:48:50 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 6 2004, 12:20 AM\'] face value of a TPiR ticket: $0.00. [/quote]
 Until some chump grabs it on eBay.

Gromit

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2004, 03:36:42 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 08:24 PM\'] Bag Secret "X," for being a dull, unfair game from the get-go.

Bring back Superball. Bring back Hurdles, starter's pistol or no.
 [/quote]
 Ok, I'll bite. I can buy dull, but what's unfair about Secret X?

Agreed on Hurdles, used to love that game. It's the 21st century, I think we can solve any technical problems.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2004, 07:30:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Feb 6 2004, 03:36 AM\'] [quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 08:24 PM\'] Bag Secret "X," for being a dull, unfair game from the get-go.

[/quote]

Agreed on Hurdles, used to love that game. It's the 21st century, I think we can solve any technical problems. [/quote]
 The usual complaint is that a contestant can score 100% (getting both small prizes right) and still lose.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

zachhoran

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2004, 08:14:59 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 09:10 PM\']

Bring back Give or Take, I say. [/quote]
 Should we get Jim Lange to host it if it does come back? WHat group of stations will air-it if it gets picked up for the 2005-06 season?

Seriously, the game was called Give or Keep, and they could have restaged the game rather than retiring it in 1990. Pick-a-Pair was restaged and came back around that time.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2004, 10:17:15 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 6 2004, 01:20 AM\'] [quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 10:14 PM\'] I would think CBS would have to have some kind of safeguard in place, however...otherwise, people may attempt to sue for their travel expenses, if they can prove the sole purpose of their trip was to see Price. [/quote]
They would lose. Bottom line. They paid NOTHING for the tickets, and that's exactly what CBS owes them. Nothing. [/quote]
 I think Don's point was that in this litigious age, a simple disclaimer on the ticket sure wouldn't hurt.  Of course, I'd sure like to be Judge For A Day when some turnip comes in trying to sue CBS for something so absurd.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2004, 11:28:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Feb 6 2004, 03:36 AM\'] [quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 08:24 PM\'] Bag Secret "X," for being a dull, unfair game from the get-go.

[/quote]

Agreed on Hurdles, used to love that game. It's the 21st century, I think we can solve any technical problems. [/quote]
Now there's an idea...bring back some retired games, maybe once per week or something...call them "throwbacks." ;-)

As for Hurdles, I can't help but think in this ultra-PC, ultra-uptight society, parental rights activists would crap a brick if the starter pistol were to return...not since Columbine, and stuff like that.

I know I'm being morbid, but you know someone would start bitching about a gun being used on a game show in 2004, blanks or not.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2004, 12:03:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Feb 6 2004, 05:30 AM\'] The usual complaint is that a contestant can score 100% (getting both small prizes right) and still lose. [/quote]
 Waah. You can win all five Plinko chips and still go home with zippo (aside from four small prizes), and people seem to think that game is the Second Coming of Insert Your Favorite Deity Here.

clemon79

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2004, 12:05:01 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 6 2004, 06:14 AM\'] Seriously, the game was called Give or Keep, and they could have restaged the game rather than retiring it in 1990. Pick-a-Pair was restaged and came back around that time. [/quote]
A thousand pardons for my aggregious error, especially considering you obviously knew what the hell I was talking about. Social life and all that. I'm sure you under....wait, never mind.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 12:05:59 PM by clemon79 »

Unrealtor

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2004, 12:07:19 AM »
Tone down the turntable. The colors have traditionally been a bit darker in the past. The bright pink, for one, is so bright as to be distracting when handling one-bids. I have no objections to the glitter or the apparent texture.

Rebuild, not just repaint, a lot of game props, ideally on a timetable of at least a couple years from start to finish, to keep from changing too fast. A bunch of them look pretty dated. Danger Price, Credit Card, Any Number, and Temptation come to mind immediately. A lot of the really old games, like Clock Game, Grand Game, and Cliffhangers, have held up well enough to keep.

Retire Pick a Number. Yes, it's both a quickie game and an easy stand-in, but I've never been impressed with it, and it's not played that often, anyway.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Speedy G

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2004, 12:41:09 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 6 2004, 12:03 PM\'][quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Feb 6 2004, 05:30 AM\'] The usual complaint is that a contestant can score 100% (getting both small prizes right) and still lose. [/quote]
Waah. You can win all five Plinko chips and still go home with zippo (aside from four small prizes), and people seem to think that game is the Second Coming of Insert Your Favorite Deity Here.[/quote]
[Devil's Advocate] But Plinko is (Chance of falling in 0)^5 chance of getting nothing for perfect pricing, and Secret X is a 1/3 chance of losing out despite nailing all the products.  I'm not exactly up on my probabilities of pegboard games, but the chance of hitting one of the zero slots isn't a large one.[/DA]
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

uncamark

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2004, 12:02:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' date=\'Feb 11 2004, 12:07 AM\']Tone down the turntable. The colors have traditionally been a bit darker in the past. The bright pink, for one, is so bright as to be distracting when handling one-bids. I have no objections to the glitter or the apparent texture.

Rebuild, not just repaint, a lot of game props, ideally on a timetable of at least a couple years from start to finish, to keep from changing too fast. A bunch of them look pretty dated. Danger Price, Credit Card, Any Number, and Temptation come to mind immediately. A lot of the really old games, like Clock Game, Grand Game, and Cliffhangers, have held up well enough to keep.[/quote]
Danger Price and Any Number have already had redos since their introduction.  Temptation had a paint job but could stand a redo.

I'm afraid a redo for Credit Card would include a mock photo ID credit card on the board that would have you-know-who's picture on it (not Syd Vinnedge).