Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TJW  (Read 3189 times)

whewfan

TJW
« on: January 30, 2004, 05:11:47 PM »
I have an idea for TJW that might make the game more interesting.

We all know how the Fast Forward category worked. Here's the new twist I was thinking of. Both contestants get a "Fast Forward Pass", and may use it to fast forward through ANY category they want, but they can ONLY use it once.

This might introduce a new strategy into the game. When to use the pass. It might be best to use it when you REALLY need it, but someone else could be daring and use it early.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TJW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 05:27:13 PM »
Would you have the "Fast Forward" in lieu of the actual category, perhaps have it plus a special category?  I think that this would be a nifty tweak.

On that note, what other special categories did they use over the years?  The ones I know of are FF, "Bid", "How Low Will You Go?", and "The Mystery Category".  I thought I heard of a couple more, but I'm not sure.

Travis
Travis L. Eberle

whewfan

TJW
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 06:28:22 PM »
TJW usually only has one "special" category per round. So, you won't see Fast Forward and Mystery played in the same game.

ChuckNet

TJW
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 06:28:32 PM »
On that note, what other special categories did they use over the years? The ones I know of are FF, "Bid", "How Low Will You Go?", and "The Mystery Category". I thought I heard of a couple more, but I'm not sure.

There was also the Mystery Category, where the contestant picked a question from a row marked 1-10 on Jack's podium, and Stumpers, which consisted of questions asked and missed on previous eps. Both of these were worth double value if selected, which meant a potential $400.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 06:22:05 PM by ChuckNet »

zachhoran

TJW
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 07:54:03 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 06:28 PM\']

There was also the Mystery Category, where the contestant picked a question from a row marked 1-10 on Jack's podium, and Stumpers, which consisted of questions asked and missed on previous eps. Both of these were worth double value if selected, which meant a potential $400.

[/quote]
 There were Mystery questions numbered 1-7, and the Stumpers bonus was $100 if the contestant answered the question without hearing what the players gave as answers when the question was last missed, face value if they asked for that help.

The Ol' Guy

TJW
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 08:36:45 PM »
I sent Rich Kline a variation of that idea some time back - just after plans for TJW 90 were announced - choose an occasional game and have in the center window/wheel a Fast Forward Joker that would let you make any category in that spin be fast forwardable - so if you spun US HISTORY-FF JOKER-OLD TV, you could choose either History or Old TV for $100 and play it fast forward style, or choose a category not in the spin for $50. Same classic JOKER rules applied to getting the Fast Forward Joker and a regular JOKER in the same spin. Having the fast forward option available in every game would be overkill, in my opinion. Make it around two or three times a week, and let any category in those games have the option of being a Fast Forward when you spin the Fast Forward Joker. Since Rich went a whole different direction, the idea wasn't used, but I'd bring it up again if - hope of hopes - JOKER were to return in it's classic style. It adds something new without destroying the basic flavor of the original.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 11:50:54 PM by The Ol' Guy »

Jay Temple

TJW
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 09:41:18 PM »
I remember all of those except "How Low Will You Go?"  How did that work?

If TJW came back, the ideal situation might be:
  • The show still straddles.
  • The dollar values are adjusted for inflation, but the ratio of the values to the dollar goal (1/10, 1/5, 2/5) is the same.
  • On each wheel, one of the jokers has the FF on it.  (I'm thinking that in the later days, each wheel had one of each category plus three jokers.)  This is true in every game, and there are no other special categories.
  • If either FF shows up, whatever category you choose is automatically FF, but only for the player who spun it.  Nothing special happens if more than one FF shows up.
If my guess at the makeup of the wheels is correct, you would have a FF on about 1/3 of the spins.  This is just enough that the average length of a game would be shorter than it was before by just enough to make up for the additional commercial time compared to 1978.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 09:42:46 PM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.